Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAZEY88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If they don't release the update by the end of the week, don't reply to any emails and don't update their site with any more info then it looks like we have all been mugged off! I had a 4.5 console but sold it before Christmas so I could get a New Aus 3dsxl for the extra features. Around the corner! They just wanted to cash in at Christmas and take sales away from Sky3ds. To be honest I would of done the same lol

BemaniAK

Trophies
XP
Country
Solves the bitching, that's for sure! Nobody forced anyone's hands into buying it, not once was to implied in any way. If the info isn't official don't blame others for your disappointment and wishful thinking - blame yourself!
Well, actually, Gateway promised people that it would be released by now, the info not being official doesn't matter much now that we can't even trust official info.

Reactions: Phantom_User

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From MaxConsole:

Let's make this real clear right now: the Gateway guys are (as always) doing things the right way. The only thing they've ever been guilty of is delivering promises *late*. Every promise they've made, they've kept. We're all excited about the forthcoming release, but seriously, let them do their jobs in their own time if you want them to do it right.

It's very, very clear to me that they're currently hardening their server infrastructure. They've invested in CloudFlare's DDoS protected service, that encompasses the aforementioned DDoS protection, web application firewall, reverse caching/proxying and more. Enabling such a service for a Wordpress-driven site such as theirs is usually fairly straight forward, but it wouldn't necessarily play well out-of-the-box with any custom web apps they've created.

They're pretty clearly preparing a Ninjhax-style QR-code generator to deploy the stage 1 payload, given the confirmed leaked information thus far. This would take the form of a web app. Perhaps CloudFlare is caching generated QR-codes, and they're working around issues such as the wrong QR-codes being sent to the wrong clients? Again, they need to get it right. The wrong payload being generated for the wrong console could be potentially disastrous for all we know. Can you imagine the damage to their reputation?

Imagine if the QR-code generator went down a few minutes after the new update was released, effectively stopping anyone from actually making use of the new update, caused by a stampede of folk trying to use it. Reputation == damaged.

Also, they have to ensure any QR-code generating web app is sound from a security perspective. The last thing they want is for it to be vulnerable to XSS or SQL injection attacks, potentially leaking information of their customers, ie. email addresses, console serial numbers (!) etc. Again, could you imagine the potential damage to their reputation? It also has to perform efficiently, as no amount of caching with CloudFlare will shore up a web app suffering from memory leaks or segfaults for example.

Smealum and his team delivered a similar but ultimately much less complex exploit to around ~30,000 users maximum (that's the estimated number of Cubic Ninja copies in circulation), and he and his team comprising around 4 people in total took a long while to release their exploit, much longer than Team Gateway have. He took a *lot* of shit for delivering that late.

I'd expect that considering Gateway have many, many more Gateway 3DS kits out there, a more complex exploit (kernel level access, remember), a different attack vector, and a whole BUSINESS depending on it going smoothly. They've never given me or publicly announced a firm (or even loose) date, therefore I don't expect one. I have two 3DS's on 9.2.0-20 and two unused Gateway kids in preparation, and I'm fine waiting because I know that when it's released, it'll work right. The site will work, the exploit will work without bricking devices; it'll all be fine.

I'm as excited about this as any one else but I'm happy to wait for it. I'm happy for them to do it right, and cover their asses as much as possible whilst doing so. After all, delivering late is a million times better than bricked consoles, information leaks, overloaded server hardware and pretty much everything else that could go wrong.

ryanjf97

not long now...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Let's not forget even OzModChips gave their confirmation of this release window.
I know "Blah blah don't trust resellers" but OMC are legit and if they gave a false time I'd be incredibly surprised.

I got this reply back from them earlier :/
54ae90019fb0b.png

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless you want region free. Not so solved
Exactly. And eShop too.

I have an EU 3DS.
So..

Whats that? You want E.X. Troopers? TOUGH LUCK SON.

Oh? Shin Megami Tensei IV? Good luck with that.

And what? Azure Striker Gunvolt?? Good luck nabbing it out of goddamn 'Murica.

You like Phoenix Wright too? Pity.

Shovel Knight? Yup. Sucks.

And so on.. And so on.. Not to mention the multitude of problems surfacing with Sky3DS.

Seriously Guitarman, stop trying to say the same glorified shit like that'll solve everyones dilemma whilst sounding fucking heroic and poetic. It doesnt work that way.

RIX__MIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, seriously. Are you gonna wait untill the counter hits zero and expect the website to be updated?

They had the chance to release it within 48 hours, it will not happen in the next 1,5 hour :)

Unfortunately, this is exactly right. All these timers and countdowns mean shit. If the update was mean't to come out within the last 48 hours (as it was stated it would) it would have more than likely happened already.

Hype train has derailed and crashed.

Feel the rage all and everyone:

Pqs2KoT.png

Feel the rage

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
From MaxConsole:

Let's make this real clear right now: the Gateway guys are (as always) doing things the right way. The only thing they've ever been guilty of is delivering promises *late*. Every promise they've made, they've kept. We're all excited about the forthcoming release, but seriously, let them do their jobs in their own time if you want them to do it right.

It's very, very clear to me that they're currently hardening their server infrastructure. They've invested in CloudFlare's DDoS protected service, that encompasses the aforementioned DDoS protection, web application firewall, reverse caching/proxying and more. Enabling such a service for a Wordpress-driven site such as theirs is usually fairly straight forward, but it wouldn't necessarily play well out-of-the-box with any custom web apps they've created.

They're pretty clearly preparing a Ninjhax-style QR-code generator to deploy the stage 1 payload, given the confirmed leaked information thus far. This would take the form of a web app. Perhaps CloudFlare is caching generated QR-codes, and they're working around issues such as the wrong QR-codes being sent to the wrong clients? Again, they need to get it right. The wrong payload being generated for the wrong console could be potentially disastrous for all we know. Can you imagine the damage to their reputation?

Imagine if the QR-code generator went down a few minutes after the new update was released, effectively stopping anyone from actually making use of the new update, caused by a stampede of folk trying to use it. Reputation == damaged.

Also, they have to ensure any QR-code generating web app is sound from a security perspective. The last thing they want is for it to be vulnerable to XSS or SQL injection attacks, potentially leaking information of their customers, ie. email addresses, console serial numbers (!) etc. Again, could you imagine the potential damage to their reputation? It also has to perform efficiently, as no amount of caching with CloudFlare will shore up a web app suffering from memory leaks or segfaults for example.

Smealum and his team delivered a similar but ultimately much less complex exploit to around ~30,000 users maximum (that's the estimated number of Cubic Ninja copies in circulation), and he and his team comprising around 4 people in total took a long while to release their exploit, much longer than Team Gateway have. He took a *lot* of shit for delivering that late.

I'd expect that considering Gateway have many, many more Gateway 3DS kits out there, a more complex exploit (kernel level access, remember), a different attack vector, and a whole BUSINESS depending on it going smoothly. They've never given me or publicly announced a firm (or even loose) date, therefore I don't expect one. I have two 3DS's on 9.2.0-20 and two unused Gateway kids in preparation, and I'm fine waiting because I know that when it's released, it'll work right. The site will work, the exploit will work without bricking devices; it'll all be fine.

I'm as excited about this as any one else but I'm happy to wait for it. I'm happy for them to do it right, and cover their asses as much as possible whilst doing so. After all, delivering late is a million times better than bricked consoles, information leaks, overloaded server hardware and pretty much everything else that could go wrong.

I OK with delay if they told us but why the f*** they lied every time

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Solves the bitching, that's for sure! Nobody forced anyone's hands into buying it, not once was to implied in any way. If the info isn't official don't blame others for your disappointment and wishful thinking - blame yourself!
You want the bitching to stop? Ignore me or unwatch the thread. 'Cuz I'll keep on bitching, and you know why? Cuz that shit's ON TOPIC with GW.

Just because the issue is with myself, doesn't mean I can't take it out here and STILL remain relevant. If people can post funny images and other random crap then I can bitch, and I'll bitch for as long as I want to.

Besides, its not against the rules to complain, its just "looked down upon".

To sum it all up, if you have an issue, don't read and don't reply. It'll even make you look better. Case Closed.

Dont Worry About it

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fine that they're being cautious. it's not fine that they're being deceptive about their release schedule when they're obviously trying to steal sales from Sky3DS

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway no doubt will release it eventually - but you can't blame them for promoting the hype deliberately too early to get the Christams and New Year sales bonanza (cf sold out products at various sites) and dent Sky3DS sales. This is not an ethical industry after all.

The maxconsole post above about final web site preparations could well be true, but it sounds like bullshit speculation, just more articulate/technical bullshit speculation than usual.

Reactions: Phantom_User

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You want the bitching to stop? Ignore me or unwatch the thread. 'Cuz I'll keep on bitching, and you know why? Cuz that shit's ON TOPIC with GW.

Just because the issue is with myself, doesn't mean I can't take it out here and STILL remain relevant. If people can post funny images and other random crap then I can bitch, and I'll bitch for as long as I want to.

Besides, its not against the rules to complain, its just "looked down upon".

To sum it all up, if you have an issue, don't read and don't reply. It'll even make you look better. Case Closed.

nah, youre a good kid i dont have anything against you its just that youre doing this to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo