Hacking Gateway 3ds pokemon x/y with legit x/y, locally

Criznittle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if this has been posted before, but i really couldn't find much on it or a definitive answer anywhere else.

I'm curious if anyone has tried or successfully used a Pokemon X or Y rom to trade or battle with a legit copy of Pokemon X or Y on a higher firmware 3ds(7.xx)? I imagine two Gateways would work fine, but haven't been able to connect to a legit copy.

Is it an issue because of an update to pokemon or firmware difference?
Is there a way to check which version of pokemon one is on, and can it be reset?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes it works fine as long as emunand is set up to 6.x or higher, it won't work on 4.x
And I'm pretty sure for local trade doesn't matter which patch versions either player is on, that only effects online play, but if you want to temporarily load up 1.0 on a normal updated 3ds you can just pop the SD card out and start the game (this won't work for gateway as emunand is loaded from the SD)

Criznittle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, i can use a higher gw 3ds firmware? i thought it was tethered to the 4.5 firmware.

do you have a link or know how to go about doing it?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oh, i can use a higher gw 3ds firmware? i thought it was tethered to the 4.5 firmware.

do you have a link or know how to go about doing it?
No, your system firmware has to stay on 4.x, but emunand can be updated to a higher version, to trade locally emunand has to be updated, not the system firmware, that will be staying on 4.x for the foreseeable future

Criznittle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, that's what i meant, i didn't know emunand could be updated past 4.5.

So.... I can just update my firmware while in gateway mode?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Right, that's what i meant, i didn't know emunand could be updated past 4.5.

So.... I can just update my firmware while in gateway mode?
Read up on the process first so you completely understand it, but basically you will only be able to update to 7.2 which is a bit buggy (eshop and system settings won't work in emunand) but local trading will work fine, once you have everything set up in your settings exactly how you want them as you won't be able to change wifi etc once updated until gateway fix 7.x encryption

Basically boot into emunand, go to system settings
Make 100% sure you have emunand set up correctly! it will show "GW3D 4.x" in the system settings instead of "Ver. 4.x" on
Once you see that proceed to update from within system settings, don't update via update prompts on the main screen, only via system settings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQ_g8OoQM&list=RD8FFQ_g8OoQM&start_radio=1