Gateway 3DS, News and Information

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"99% certain" is just another term for, you have no clue, and you're covering your bases for if/when it turns out to be real, you can just say "I only said 99%".
I sad this about 50 times and it was always true.

they said it works on 5.0.0-X and now it stops working on 5.0.0-X and only work on 4.5.X.X --> bullshit
2 cards? they said it is a 1:1 copy that is nonsens
not a 1:1 copy then why no homebrew support (update block) --> wtf
--> fake or wrong information

Reactions: TyBlood13

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

they said it works on 5.0.0-X and now it stops working on 5.0.0-X and only work on 4.5.X.X --> bullshit
Looks like we have a hater here.

Gateway is the first flashcard for the 3DS, you except too much from it. It's still a big step, stop complaining and wait until flashcards will get better.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're completely right, it doesn't add up.
Looks like we have a hater here.

Gateway is the first flashcard for the 3DS, you except too much from it. It's still a big step, stop complaining and wait until flashcards will get better.
Looks like your desire to pirate games is blinding your judgement. This isn't about it being first, it's about them not being honest. How do you go from being a 1:1 clone to using an exploit with 2 different cards?

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it is scam. they repeatedly said do not update to 6.x, just avoiding the fact 5.x is not good too. it was a simple fact and they decided to hide it. being the first 3ds card doesn't give you permission to lie to your customers.

They never lied, they said it works on 5.x, and of course, theyr entry points works on 5.x, like on 6.x. They dont lied. (if its true) They going for 4.5 at first. If you above 4.5, just wait if they update or not. They always told you not to preorder. Its not a scam. Its not gateways fault, its yours!

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I am not dumb enough to preorder, though this doesn't change the fact that they simply lied. I am really having a hard time trying to understand why people defend gateway 3ds, while such a big lie (or giving misinformation if this will satisfy you) is known.

Edit: also just laughing at that entry point thing, does anyone believe this?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The GW3DS team's latest news announcement says preorders are open, unless you're referring to before the announcement.
Yes, I am referring to before the announcement.

I am not dumb enough to preorder, though this doesn't change the fact that they simply lied. I am really having a hard time trying to understand why people defend gateway 3ds, while such a big lie (or giving misinformation if this will satisfy you) is known.
I'm only defending them against untrue claims. People are jumping the gun and assuming they said things they never did.

Edit: also just laughing at that entry point thing, does anyone believe this?
Yes, because it's been known for a while that there were both save game exploits and kernel-mode exploits on the 3DS. Neimods/yellows8 stated a while ago that the big kernel-mode exploit was patched in 5.x, but a save game exploit was not.

You should read the stickies in the 3DS section if you want to know what's going on, instead of throwing out random accusations.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Yes, I am referring to before the announcement.

I'm only defending them against untrue claims. People are jumping the gun and assuming they said things they never did.

Yes, because it's been known for a while that there were both save game exploits and kernel-mode exploits on the 3DS. Neimods/yellows8 stated a while ago that the big kernel-mode exploit was patched in 5.x, but a save game exploit was not.

You should read the stickies in the 3DS section if you want to know what's going on, instead of throwing out random accusations.

so, this entry point thing was just known now, right? it wasn't known when they warned people not to update to 6.x? Still none of your replies bring a valid point for why the gateway 3ds flash card makers didn't tell it doesn't work in 5.x firmwares when they said it doesn't work in 6.x firmwares. Did they fresh run out of 5.x firmware 3ds to try their flash card on?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
so, this entry point thing was just known now, right?
Not knowing exactly how the thing worked (but having seen it work on 4.x), this is the first we've heard the phrase "entry point" from them, but it matches perfectly with the info we already know about the updates between 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x.

it wasn't known when they warned people not to update to 6.x? Still none of your replies bring a valid point for why the gateway 3ds flash card makers didn't tell it doesn't work in 5.x firmwares when they said it doesn't work in 6.x firmwares. Did they fresh run out of 5.x firmware 3ds to try their flash card on?
Yes, we don't know why they didn't mention 5.x earlier and they should have.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They never lied, they said it works on 5.x"

No they didn't. They said that 6.0 compatibility is only valid for their initial entry point. If you bought a system that boots, but doesn't run any apps/games, would you say that it works? They've been acting as if any updates between 4.5 and 6.0 never happened. Considering that the 5.0 update was released in early December 2012, were they expecting their customers to not update for 7-8 months? Honestly, they should've mentioned 4.5 in their initial announcement.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Rydian, you have no clue who this team is, you have no clue what they are capable of, you don't understand the technical side besides from parroting what you read on IRC (where i was talking about this before the latest news). My speculation was based on based on what i know about the team, extensive reading of the info on 3dbrew and discussions with people in private.

You don't have any real information about the situation at all. You literally are just doing a 180 and starting to talk about save exploits and shit that I SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE. Stick to topics you are familiar with.

Anyway.. In regards to 4.5/5.x, it probably can work on 5.0 in the single game-on-SD mode they were talking about in the original news.. but since 6.0 dropped they probably decided to hold back and release with GUI for 4.5 instead. This is the difference between the 'entry point' and full kernel access. Stop expecting miracles and going on about them lying, this is the nature of the business.

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No they didn't. They said that 6.0 compatibility is only valid for their initial entry point. If you bought a system that boots, but doesn't run any apps/games, would you say that it works? They've been acting as if any updates between 4.5 and 6.0 never happened. Considering that the 5.0 update was released in early December 2012, were they expecting their customers to not update for 7-8 months? Honestly, they should've mentioned 4.5 in their initial announcement.

Of course, their entry point, and so the exploit, works on 5.x/6.x. So I would say it works. They never claimed the update is ready on release. They always told people they should wait for more informations & wait till they give they're ok to preorder. They never lied or scammed in the past. And of course, since its exploit based, it needs its time to adapt it for another firmware, since patches, they may apply, have to be rewritten etc. (due to fimrware changes). I believe that they are already working some month/years on it. (except they are bought the exploit, it's plausible) so they started on a lower firmware then the current. And also, since 6.x is out, theres no way to savely udpate to 5.x. That may the reason they first roll out for 4.5. They never lied. They never scammed. So until you guys proof, that their exploit isn't working on 5.x or 6.x, it is just false to claim untrue things.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just worried that this will be another situation like the PS3's 3.55 CFW, where for most of the PS3's hacking life, you had to be on that Firmware (or below) to actually do anything.

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm just worried that this will be another situation like the PS3's 3.55 CFW, where for most of the PS3's hacking life, you had to be on that Firmware (or below) to actually do anything.

Yeah I am too =) And my 3ds is on 6.x. So I will just wait some time, but people have to give them time ;) Its the first 3DS hack, which gets released. I think it's just unfair if people interpret things wrong, call them fakers, scammers or anything else. They are the first team who comes up with something like that. First we speculated that it is a 1:1 card, now we know its an exploit. So no one knows if its usermode/kernelmode (I think its kernelmode, but that's just imho) and if its just the exploit discovered by neimod/yellow8 or another ;) People should be patient, I think after it's released, some people (may yellow8) will look into this, and are able to tell more about it ;)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If you'd like to discuss, please do so like an adult. Simply saying "no you're wrong and stupid" does nothing for the conversation.
  • Have I posted something statically incorrect, such as some wrong numbers somewhere?
    • Point it out and provide the corrections.

• Have I posted a theory that's been tried and proven to not work?
    • Please link to where I can see the theory attempted and disproved (or disproved with logic and experience).

• Have I made a claim that somebody said something they really didn't?
    • Point out what it is so I can go back and check where I got the info from.

• Have I made a claim that something hasn't been said, but it has?
    • Give a link to where it was stated so I can see.
etc.

I will believe that the team can make the cart work on 5.x and 6.x when they make it work on 5.x and 6.x. We have seen tons of flash carts barely able to pass almost-monthly header check whitelists...

http://gbatemp.net/threads/update-o...d-v2-0-using-akaio-updated-to-3ds-4-3.342339/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/identifying-flashcart-fixing-one-for-my-nephew.341230/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt-purple-new-sticker-problem-about-adding-games.343271/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-sdhc-help.342623/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt.342556/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/software-for-green-r4i-card.316171/
(And tons more, of course.)

Furthermore, the previous flash cart that used an embedded save data exploit (the CycloDS iEvolution) doesn't work on any firmware later than the last one that still allowed that exploit, so there's precedent that's even more specific to this situation.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/cyclops-no-longer-supports-the-ievolution.321797/
And the Cyclo team was previously considered one of the best...

The kernel-mode exploit that existed in 4.5.x was patched in 5.x, a new one will need to be found/used. If it was that simple it would have been done. Since it's complex, it might very well require new hardware, not the model that people are considering ordering (and not even due to a design change, the FPGA might not have enough storage (see the AK2i as an example) or the areas required to be edited might be read-only in the released units).

You can feel free to trust the team's word, but as far as I'm concerned a group that has so far not released any products has no built-up credibility beyond what they have shown (which is a flash cart that can launch 3DS ROMs on 3DS/XL firmware 4.5.x on retail units.

Of course, theyre entry point, so the exploit, works on 5.x/6.x. So i would say it works.
The save data exploit still works, the (known to exist) kernel-mode exploit does not.
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/5.0.0-11
Multiple NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulnerabilities were fixed, this includes all known NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulns at the time when the update was released. The system does not delete/block 3DS savegame haxx at all with this update, however the code execution haxx used by this was fixed.
(Linked and noted on the front page of 3dbrew.)

They always told people they should wait for more informations & wait till they give theyre ok to preorder.
This, I do not believe that Gateway is a scam or a fake in any way.

PSP too, for years having a later model or later firmware (on non-pandora ones) meant you couldn't do much, until the HBL came along, but that was user-mode homebrew only (and still is).

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The save data exploit still works, the (known to exist) kernel-mode exploit does not.
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/5.0.0-11

(Linked and noted on the front page of 3dbrew.)

This, I do not believe that Gateway is a scam or a fake in any way.

PSP too, for years having a later model or later firmware (on non-pandora ones) meant you couldn't do much, until the HBL came along, but that was user-mode homebrew only (and still is).
My post wasn't related to yours, but,

1. yeah, but no one knows if it's the same exploit discovered by yellows8/neimod, or an completely new one discovered by themselves ;) Only because neimod/yellows8 didn't find a new one till now doesn't mean that another team didn't find one ;)
2. yeah, my comment wasn't related to you, other people claimed they where scammers/fakers or so ;)

My tip: just wait till its released, I bet some people will investigate how the card works, and is able to tell more about the exploits which they used ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC