• Likes 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gateway team doesn't looks like they're trolling us, they're pretty confident about their product. It's still weird that they appeared from nowhere with a flashcart,

Well I can't argue that. It is strange that they appeared from nowhere.

But I can tell you that if I was working on a revolutionary hacking device such as the Gateway, I would have done the exact same thing. Wouldn't tell a SOUL about it until I am pretty much ready to start producing and selling so my idea is fresh and has the lowest chance of getting hijacked. So I kind of understand it.

As the first 3DS ROM compatible cart, I kind of understand why they did it. But I still think it was announced WAY too soon.

Reactions: Tattorack

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well I can't argue that. It is strange that they appeared from nowhere.

But I can tell you that if I was working on a revolutionary hacking device such as the Gateway, I would have done the exact same thing. Wouldn't tell a SOUL about it until I am pretty much ready to start producing and selling so my idea is fresh and has the lowest chance of getting hijacked. So I kind of understand it.

As the first 3DS ROM compatible cart, I kind of understand why they did it. But I still think it was announced WAY too soon.

You may be right, Nintendo found out about it and blocked it with an update, probably Gateway is struggling right now to make it work with the lastest firmware.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, all. New member, here!

Like all of you, I've been closely following the Gateway's progression of events, and something came to mind (I know it's cons-piracy theory-ish, but bear with me). It's only speculation, but what if Nintendo had something to do with the "manufacturing issues" that Gateway recently mentioned (besides the recent updates, that is)? I mean, industrial sabotage is not that uncommon, and if you look at the figures of millions of dollars lost to piracy for their previous hand-held systems, wouldn't you resort to not-so-squeaky-clean techniques?

"Nintendo monitored just 10 overseas websites for illegal software downloads, and, according to their findings, these sites racked up over 238 million counts of piracy during the month of June 2009 alone. The company says that if you factor in the average cost of DS games, that's nearly 11 billion in lost sales" Dustin Quillen, 1up.com, 04/20/2010

I'm not preaching anti-piracy (I'd be quite the hypocrite), but I'm just sayin'...

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, all. New member, here!

Like all of you,..............................................................................................................

I'm not preaching anti-piracy (I'd be quite the hypocrite), but I'm just sayin'...

No Nintendo's only action to date to harm this card is to bring out and update that currently blocks the card in 3DS models running on the current update.

Manufacturing was slowed by a public holiday, but this may have help the team not to release a card that is currently blocked.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they managed to get it work with latest update then it would have been posted.
So do not get hyped about the card.

This is just speculation, but after what happened, I wouldn't announce that the cart is compatible with the latest firmware until the release day.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took that approach. Not committing the same mistake again.

goldensox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Nintendo monitored just 10 overseas websites for illegal software downloads, and, according to their findings, these sites racked up over 238 million counts of piracy during the month of June 2009 alone. The company says that if you factor in the average cost of DS games, that's nearly 11 billion in lost sales" Dustin Quillen, 1up.com, 04/20/2010

>counting pirated copies as lost sales
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyway, I have reasons to believe that Nintendo has legal means of issuing cease and desists to pretty much anyone. They have super ultra strict intellectual property laws in Japan, coupled with good lawyers. My guess is that team Gateway was stocking up and got a no no no from Ninty, so now they're seeking ways to sell through proxy sites like DX and Play-Asia.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
>counting pirated copies as lost sales
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lol indeed.

Piracy is mainly for poor people and cheapskates, like it or not. If there was no piracy, quite simply there would be no sales either.

I say again what I said before. The problem is not within the piracy. The problem is only one: Price.

Piracy was born to overcome overcome that.

Thank the lord.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is mainly for poor people and cheapskates, like it or not. If there was no piracy, quite simply there would be no sales either.

At first that might sound silly, but I found this study about how pirates spend more money on music than others:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012...ates-spend-30-more-on-music-than-non-sharers/

And I wonder if the same could be said about the gaming industry. I, for one, will buy a title that I'm very excited about, every once in a while.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

KytuzuZE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If they have not announce it too soon; It would be better.

But instead they announce it too soon when they not has finished their production yet.

-_-(today i have a horribleness grammar....)

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
2 days ago said it would on the 6th, now that the 13th. This is a huge fake because gateway page still have not said anything new.

hehe and now on the 23rd. I think they read somewhere "IN TEH FIRST DAYS OF JULY" and wrote "July 13", thinking that it would be available sooner so customers would have a nice surprise... but no.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never trust dates on those websites -_-'

Exactly. Modchipsdirect.com says "We keep customers up to date" in the Gateway description, then had "15th of June" posted all the way to the 27th, then changed it to "end of June". It still says "end of June" on today, the 3rd :/ It's obvious they have no idea when it's coming out, but they also don't want to reimburse preorders.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if the same could be said about the gaming industry. I, for one, will buy a title that I'm very excited about, every once in a while.

I have purchased games that I never knew existed before because of something I downloaded.

Back on topic.

Exactly, but they also don't want to reimburse preorders.

Its in the terms of selling this card not to take payment until its in the sellers hands.

DX wont be stocking these cards.

I would wait for a clone the factory's that clone this card, I give it 3months for its release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ