Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
place holder for big comment before idiots spam just crap about what posts are going to be about

Finally this materialized

it is indeed not a fake but all the hardware you want for this has yet to be shown

ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card
surely you get the point here of whats its doing

the next thing is Save Data
as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it

enjoy :D
but this is a sole piracy deal here

How do you know all this? :ninja:

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Take all that with a truck of salt since he still has to provide any proof about all those claims (which have already been contradicted by GaryOpa).

Friend, I'm not an expert and you and this PS3 GaryOpa guy might be... But what's being said about save data DOES make sense. Look at all the info the 3Dbrew guys have on the topic. Savedata CANNOT be produced in plain text, and is indeed ALWAYS saved on a standardized chip that's on every card. There's no proof that these gateway guys have found a solution to that.

If anything just check the video. Everytime the girl changes de MicroSD the savedata shows as corrupted on each game.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
How do you know all this? :ninja:

It makes sense and the video shows possible evidence. Even I came up with an identical idea after watching the video, or did you just happen to sit and watch the video and enjoy like it says?
Also, kind of just a thought...but what if they aren't using the "conventional" means of putting the rom on the microSD ._. (in other words, not drag and drop)...
If the sentence above makes no sense to you, to bad. The closest I can think of is using dd for copying isos to usbs.

And since I've now put a useless post on this thread as well. WHY DON'T I SEE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT DS BACKUPS? Obviously nobody cares to speculate...
...there is now actual working Flash Card for the 3DS, not just for old DS games, but your actual 3DS games.
...but doesn't that kind of make no sense? MAXCONSOLE LIED D: (or just misspoke, but it can't be because...because...IT'S A CONSPIRACY).

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I call bullshit on this one, you simply will not find a fitting card

1) the exact size of sdcards is not specified
it varies by manufacturer and model

(my 8GB ones for example are actually only around 7.94GB
and my 32GB ones are of different sizes)

2) you will not get lucky either
the rough size they are standardized around do not fit to the 3ds rom sizes very well
the roms (0001-0003) I have seen are exactly 256MiB (=268,435,456Byte) or 512MiB (=536,870,912Byte)

sdcards in this area are around 256MB, 512MB and 1GB
256MB = 256,000,000Byte
512MB = 512,000,000Byte
1GB = 1,000,000,000Byte

even if you include some variation that's an unlikely fit for all of them

That's what I thought too, but I was too lazy to write it here.
It'll be impossible to match the exact size, and if the 3DS checks for those values they have to be an exact match indeed.

Unless you can format the sd cards with some special tool to set the sizes manually, which would also remove this "restriction" for all other cards.

But I'm not sure this is possible. But I guess you can do it with some kind of custom sd card firmware. I remember I bought some pirate flash memory pen drives that were using modified firmwares to show up more space than they actually had. Maybe the reverse can be done without harming the data?

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe the entire "lol the memory card has to be of the right size ololo" thing is crap ;)

It makes no sense whatsoever from a hardware design point. At all.

I'm pretty sure that part is crap. The Luigi's Mansion 2 ROM is 8192 megabits... which is 1024 megabytes (1GB). But in the video you can clearly see they are using a 2GB card for that game.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My eyesight must be deteriorating cos even at best quality AND fullscreen, the words on the microSD card seem pretty blurry to me. Well, guess that's a sign for me to get some sleep :P

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
to be

Time to squirrel these things.
honest, you can buy 8 GB micro SD for 10 $ and 3DS game card is like 50 $ but also you can buy 4 GB sd for 5 $ so.. i say this pic is pretty good :D
And also, playing one game at the time is a good idea..you can practice patience and slow down a little that way, i like it :D

Reactions: Chary

BrokenHearted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, even in 720p and full screen, I can't make out the writing on the SD cards. Speaking of Luigi's Mansion 2, does the US even have the all white 3DS XL? If not, that's a pretty clear giveaway that the 3DS XL in the video is european.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
True or not, nobody will be watching Nintendo directs for some weeks, and everybody will be watching "GBATemp direct".

I dont remember where to see, but there is a place where shows the number of people that joined today, I'm curious about how many came today to GBATemp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....