Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

Aqua1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What worries me about clones is the teams that make them will release it, and never update, leaving those who bought it stranded in a sense. That's what I feel about it anyway,

I agree however, the buyer should be knowledgable about the product. I'm sure that everyone on these forums now knows who spent their time and hard work to deliver the very first cart for the 3DS. I know what you mean, but you should expect that if you're buying a product that isn't supposed to be that cheap. There will be such things to even out the cheap price. That's what I've come to expect from cheap knockoff clones.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree however, the buyer should be knowledgable about the product. I'm sure that everyone on these forums now knows who spent their time and hard work to deliver the very first cart for the 3DS. I know what you mean, but you should expect that if you're buying a product that isn't supposed to be that cheap. There will be such things to even out the cheap price. That's what I've come to expect from cheap knockoff clones.

Eh, can't argue with that :P People do often get what they pay for ;)

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when True Blue was the only solution to run newer ps3 games when we were stuck on 3.55 CFW people did make clones and they were cheaper, but TB kept updtaing their dongle firmware and then making the newer patches not work on compeditors dongles. I bet their will be cloners but they won't be developing new features (most likely) and will likely be a step behind GW (if GW stays on the scene). I think the likelyhood of a clone will be much lower if GW never gets firmware past 5.x or 6.x working.......One thing I don't understand is why GW didn't announce sooner they were 4.5 only. It wasn't till almost AUG that they announced that when the first video hit in early JUN.....it was sort of a bad move on their part as they may have kept more people on 4.5 and therefore more potential customers.....makes me think they will get a 5.x/6.x fix as now everyone who wants the product knows they better stay at or below 6.2 or they may never get a chance to use it. I hope so as I have a 3DS on 4.5 ready to roll but have my XL with all my ambassador, eshop and some purchased full games on 5.1. In the end I will keep one system for gateway use and one for OFW but I really would rather have the XL be my gateway machine. So i am staying put with 5.1 and hoping they get a fix....I have considered taking it to 6.2 because now that Gateway is out what if Nintendo goes to 6.3 or 7.x and never puts 6.2 out on a cartridge because they know it is exploitable....I guess time will tell.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dude. They just put the Firmware Spoofing in Beta. That means that I'll be able to use the GW3DS on my 5.1. That's what I meant.

no that's exactly not what it means. seriously if you don't understand what firmware spoofing is, then stop writing that nonsense
it does NOT mean, your 5.1 3DS will be compatible to gateway, it means, that a 4.5 3DS with gateway is able to play a game, that normaly would need 5.1
whether or not they will find a new way, to make a 5.1 3DS compatible to gateway, is still unclear
we can't know for now, because the exploit to run games from the red card got fixed after 4.5, so we can only wait and hope, that they will find a new one

Reactions: f0rCe

NfoMonster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nforush.net
XP
Country
Venezuela
We will see about clones, imho they will appear sooner or later, but as you guys sayed further development and progress is what mathers. And a smart consumer will always go for the quality, like with all other modchips cards ect.... where you have a strong team behind it that is actualy capable of inovating and not just imitating. So in future i'd advise you stay with the best and not throw money away for cheaper clones, unless you have a really good reason for it and you know why you bought it. I've seen it so many times people trying to get stuff cheap than they start bitching in some time, why doesnt this work or that ect... and all you can say well instead of spending 100$ you did 40$ now go spend another 100$ :) or go with some cheap stuff again and start crying in couple motnhs or a year :>

PokemonFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you know if the dealer "gateway-3ds.net" reliable?
It makes you pay just $ 75 with nothing to fill out and sells only the gateway 3ds...

Diablos90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On their official site they also have released the manual in Italian :lol:

They will release it for all languages​​, I think.

Do you know if the dealer "gateway-3ds.net" reliable?

It makes you pay just $ 75 with nothing to fill out and sells only the gateway 3ds...
gateway-3ds.net is an official reseller, so I think is reliable, but I suggest you to order from Europe, to avoid paying customs charges.
Teensy.co.uk is price convenient and reliable :)

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious has anyone in North America recieved their units yet or are all the people who have gotten units either reviewers or EU buyers? I wrote modchipcentral last weekend and they said they were expecting them any day and I would be shipped immediately (as I had to be like the 3rd pre-order on their list). They are about as reputable as you can get in NA so I went with them because I have used them in the past and they have been around years. I am generally not impatient I just wish they would get their damned stock and ship it to me as I am dying to try the thing out and seeing that no one else knows or has tried it I want to see if I can use the r4 save dongle to read and write to the NAND on the gateway card directly. For me this would be a big plus as I have a lot of originals I would like to get rid of but would like to know if I do that I can use my saved game files in someway with gateway if I ever want to revisit a game. I am hoping someone will make a converter app that will change an r4 save to a gateway .sav file and vice versa as there is already a database of save out there in r4 format.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious has anyone in North America recieved their units yet or are all the people who have gotten units either reviewers or EU buyers? I wrote modchipcentral last weekend and they said they were expecting them any day and I would be shipped immediately (as I had to be like the 3rd pre-order on their list). They are about as reputable as you can get in NA so I went with them because I have used them in the past and they have been around years. I am generally not impatient I just wish they would get their damned stock and ship it to me as I am dying to try the thing out and seeing that no one else knows or has tried it I want to see if I can use the r4 save dongle to read and write to the NAND on the gateway card directly. For me this would be a big plus as I have a lot of originals I would like to get rid of but would like to know if I do that I can use my saved game files in someway with gateway if I ever want to revisit a game. I am hoping someone will make a converter app that will change an r4 save to a gateway .sav file and vice versa as there is already a database of save out there in r4 format.

They posted on Facebook that Gateway said they would shipping out their order on Friday.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to sum things up... Basically now we can use the gateway card to play a game that requires higher firmware when we are on lower firmware (wont need to update in order to play the game?).

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There seems to be a lot of problems in the industry and thats why I say piracy is the least of them.......I mean Square makes a perfectly awesome Tomb Raider game, it only sells about 4mil copies (which used to be a good thing), it is seen as a total financial failure (undertsandable I guess considering it released to PS3/X360/PC which is about 200mil gamers) and now there is a huge shakeup......meanwhie after finishing it and watching the credits apparently only oh like 200 people fricking contributed to making this game.....I don't even know how you iron this out because well for one thing a lot of Tomb Raider games have sucked over the last two genrations and this one is IMO GOTY worthy material, yet obviously they 'lost' money on the proposition. So good development, but bad business management and bad marketing. Also the plot in this game is really good and deserves to be made into a movie a lot more than any other Tomb Raider movie....so it seems like truly a 'mangement' issue. Meanwhile COD 885 and Madden 945 and even Angry Birds 324 just keep rolling out the same crap repacked year after year and are commercial succeses.....so is it devs, publishers, or an eroding intelligence amongst gamers (present company mostly exlcluded) that we have to blame for the state of the gaming world?

Couldn't have put it better myself mate.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no that's exactly not what it means. seriously if you don't understand what firmware spoofing is, then stop writing that nonsense
it does NOT mean, your 5.1 3DS will be compatible to gateway, it means, that a 4.5 3DS with gateway is able to play a game, that normaly would need 5.1
whether or not they will find a new way, to make a 5.1 3DS compatible to gateway, is still unclear
we can't know for now, because the exploit to run games from the red card got fixed after 4.5, so we can only wait and hope, that they will find a new one

I apologize. I didn't read the description correctly, and I thought wrong. Maybe I'm ignorant and I didn't understand, but you could explain it to me without being so condescending. By the way, sentences start with a capital letter, and end with a period.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize. I didn't read the description correctly, and I thought wrong. Maybe I'm ignorant and I didn't understand, but you could explain it to me without being so condescending. By the way, sentences start with a capital letter, and end with a period.

When a 3DS boots a game, the 3DS checks the firmware the game comes with. If that firmware is higher than the firmware the 3DS is currently on, it'll require you to update to the firmware that's on the game. What the firmware spoof does is somehow spoof the 3DS' firmware version so it doesn't need to update from the game.

Currently waiting on the beta. >.<

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a 3DS boots a game, the 3DS checks the firmware the game comes with. If that firmware is higher than the firmware the 3DS is currently on, it'll require you to update to the firmware that's on the game. What the firmware spoof does is somehow spoof the 3DS' firmware version so it doesn't need to update from the game.

Currently waiting on the beta. >.<

Thank you, Devin! Just like PS3 and PSP firmware spoofing, as Gortesk said previously. So I assume that from the GW3DS team's perspective, running their card on any firmware higher than 4.5 is a completely different ballpark than this?

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there are smart there probably wait till after pokemon is out to release it, that way it might stop nintendo from being able to patch the spoof on it.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you, Devin! Just like PS3 and PSP firmware spoofing, as Gortesk said previously. So I assume that from the GW3DS team's perspective, running their card on any firmware higher than 4.5 is a completely different ballpark than this?

correct, that's something entirely different
in order to get gateway to work on a higher firmware, they will have to find a new exploit first, because it was fixed after 4.5
and whether they will accomplish this tomorrow, in a month or maybe even never, is impossible for us to know, right now :-/

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
anyone can confirm multi region is coming?. i plan to buy ice white 3ds import from japan during this weekend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...