Gateway 3DS Already Blocked

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I'm surprised about is how nintendo blocked the flashcart before release. Was the exploit that gateway used obvious or some shit?

Obvious in the sense that it would be the way any first blush attempt at a flash cart is obvious then yes. They then get to attack it from the same mindset and think "if I am cloning a game cart" and "if we are to use the same ROM images that are already floating about".
Now whether Nintendo has a definitive solution or not remains to be seen, it could go either way really though knowing Nintendo's previously lax attitude towards proper patching (and ignoring them apparently upping their game a tiny bit) I am guessing it is probably something quite basic. Going back to the "not a 1:1 clone" stuff from earlier the trick is to ask what makes it not a 1:1 clone -- for some games the original DS checked to see what the cart returned if it read below 8000 hex as flash carts originally responded with the exact data where a proper cart would not. The number of failure points for the gateway people is uncountable and the number of ones viable for use in a check is only marginally less so I can not really elaborate further.

There are still enough people who want to use Homebrew

Back in the day as it were that might have meant something, now everybody can code for android or such like what does it matter?

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With systems like the ouya and dingu(sp?)based handhelds, is there really a point to hacking these things anymore besides region unlocking that isn't piracy? That's not to say I haven't done it myself in the past but it was more because There wasn't dedicated platforms to do what I wanted on a television or on the go that could be done on a pc.

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, I hate Piracy, unless there is no other way.
There are still enough people who want to use Homebrew, and that's excluding Emulators (I hate Emulators as well).
Can you seriously with a straight face name me one piece of homebrew that would make hacking a 3ds worthwhile.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Can you seriously with a straight face name me one piece of homebrew that would make hacking a 3ds worthwhile.

*claps*

this. now it would only mean piracy, and that's shit. you'll waste $150 ish dollars on something you won't be able to go online, no homebrew because of no current SDK known to develop homebrew, and be scared if Nintendo sends updates, so your card become nothingness.
-

Nope. No 3DS unlocking yet, let's wait a few years when 3rd party, and development really squeezes the 3DS hardware, connectivity, and games really make their way.

And, there's NOT such 1:1 CLONE(you could actually fed your custom code), BECAUSE 1:1(structure) WOULD BE THE ORIGINAL COPYRIGHTED DATA, LIVING IN A READ ONLY AREA AS-IS.

Nintendo could (and can) check any physical area of their card/ram/cpu code, and find mismatches as those whitelisted(data built by them), against custom code running on such areas(built by hackers, disassembled asm on CPU or RAM will behave logically different than binaries built by nintendo, otherwise the code would be 1:1 equally the data allowed to run).

Reactions: SSVAV

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly who the fork cares about homebrew/emulators anymore. For things like flashcard the goal is to be able to play new games not games that have been out and emulated on every
system since the 90s. If you want to play mario 1 download it and play it from a emulator on your cell phone.

playing games made for use with buttons sucks on a device that doesn't have buttons for playing games. Virtual, on screen buttons suck, plain and simple.

NeoGohan

Trophies
XP
Country
*claps*

this. now it would only mean piracy, and that's shit. you'll waste $150 ish dollars on something you won't be able to go online, no homebrew because of no current SDK known to develop homebrew, and be scared if Nintendo sends updates, so your card become nothingness.

Why would you update if you are not going online?

D

Deleted-236924

Nintendo won't update your 3DS automatically, lel.
All it does is download the update, then you get the prompt asking you if you want to update or not.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly who the fork cares about homebrew/emulators anymore. For things like flashcard the goal is to be able to play new games not games that have been out and emulated on every system since the 90s. If you want to play mario 1 download it and play it from a emulator on your cell phone.
but they won't be in 3d, I guess the same people who bought oot 3d and starfox 3d and paltry few 3d classics nintendo offers in the eshop, I bought a 3ds to play games in 3d, not 2d. Too bad trolltendo releases a system with 3d hardware promising 3d classics and then only releases like 5 of them in over 2 years.

Good to know Nintendo's on the ball. It's way too early for 3DS flashcarts to emerge anyways.

Wait a few years until the 3DS has a large collection of good high-quality games before scaring away developers, that's what I think.

every system has had "piracy" it never scared them before, wii was the most hacked console and yet only about 1% of the entire user base had an exploited console
and 3ds has been out for 2 years ,that is not too early at all it is quite late actually, what is scaring the devs now? what is their excuse now for the lack of titles right now?

yes ,yes I can, new emulator, genesis emulator, n64 emulator etc, with exception of like 2 things android devices don't have 3d screens, I would like to play retro games on emulators in 3d, without glasses and with more native like controls than shitty simulated touch screen ones

Reactions: tbgtbg

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is derp? i didnt said that lol xD

Anyway, that's My point :) why did Gateway said that they will be releasing the cart in his email, and in shadow email they didn't... did they changed their mind? :P

Shadow asked them if the cart was blocked by the new 3DS firmware, not if they were cancelling the release of the gateway. That is why that detail was not in there.

can u not read?

Reactions: Metoroid0

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country

Hey Einstein, there are no Homebrew Apps for 3DS yet!
If you mean, any Homebrew possible, well...let me give you a few great Homebrew on older platforms:

GeckoOS (Make your Console Region Free, for Wii).
CWCheats (Something similar to Action Replay, for PSP).
Priiloader (Make your Console (almost) Brick-Proof, for Wii).
Home Screen Theming (I forgot the name of it, for Wii).
SVSIP (VoIP, for DS).
OtherOS (was official, but this one brings it back, for PS3).
There are even more Homebrew Gems out there, but I don't have all Consoles Homebrewed (my PS3 Super Slim doesn't support any CFW out there).

Reactions: Deleted User

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Taking other possibilities from what's already done on the PSP, there's MP3 playing in-game, in-game text and video viewers, etc.

In-game screenshots would be cool. Better folder icons for the home screen, a better browser, an unofficial YouTube app with support for 3D. I'm actually more interested in 3DS homebrew than I ever was for Wii homebrew (since most of it was pretty lacklustre).

I'm even planning on having a bash at some ideas I have myself with the 3DS, if a hack gets released. I'd gladly take homebrew with no piracy over having to carry 10 micro SD cards around with me instead of 10 retail game cards.

Reactions: YamiHoshi.nl

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

In my mind, I can see infinite possibilities for 3DS homebrew :D
I cant wait for 3DS hack :3

When 3DS gets hacked, I think it would be good idea
to make a thread "3DS homebrew ideas" for whatever crosses your mind :)

Reactions: yuyuyup

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes ,yes I can, new emulator, genesis emulator, n64 emulator etc, with exception of like 2 things android devices don't have 3d screens, I would like to play retro games on emulators in 3d, without glasses and with more native like controls than shitty simulated touch screen ones

Erm, you expect an emulator to -- on-the-fly -- convert games that were made in 2D... to 3D?

Also, all you mention is emulators, which is really just a guise for retro piracy in the hands of most (not all) users who wouldn't have bought the games anyway would they still be on sale. If "emulator" is your only idea of actual, 'useful' homebrew, then I'm pretty sure you also just want to pirate games in general.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
every system has had "piracy" it never scared them before, wii was the most hacked console and yet only about 1% of the entire user base had an exploited console
and 3ds has been out for 2 years, that is not too early at all it is quite late actually, what is scaring the devs now? what is their excuse now for the lack of titles right now?
What lack of titles? I have more than enough games.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm, you expect an emulator to -- on-the-fly -- convert games that were made in 2D... to 3D?

Also, all you mention is emulators, which is really just a guise for retro piracy in the hands of most (not all) users who wouldn't have bought the games anyway would they still be on sale. If "emulator" is your only idea of actual, 'useful' homebrew, then I'm pretty sure you also just want to pirate games in general.

yes sure I want to "pirate" games too, and the issue of 3d emulators on 3ds has been discussed to death, and yes it is possible and not that difficult to do, they have had set top boxes for over a decade that convert any 2d video signal to 3d, and they are not very expensive, there is not much to it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes sure I want to "pirate" games too, and the issue of 3d emulators on 3ds has been discussed to death, and yes it is possible and not that difficult to do, they have had set top boxes for over a decade that convert any 2d video signal to 3d, and they are not very expensive, there is not much to it.

That depends upon a lot of things actually
The set top boxes are not a truly valid thing to compare against as they can afford a few hundred milliseconds to process data.
Now emulators by virtue of being games with CGI content can afford somewhat different techniques. It varies between 2d and 3d as to what can be done (2d you have decide upon layers and 3d in 3d hardware you can rerender the scene for the other eye if you have enough grunt (a fairly big if).

On top of all this you have to consider that 3d is a tool and things need to be designed for it-- "just add 3d" works about as well as post conversion to 3d of films and those at least cost a fortune.

let me give you a few great Homebrew on older platforms:

GeckoOS (Make your Console Region Free, for Wii).
CWCheats (Something similar to Action Replay, for PSP).
Priiloader (Make your Console (almost) Brick-Proof, for Wii).
Home Screen Theming (I forgot the name of it, for Wii).
SVSIP (VoIP, for DS).
OtherOS (was official, but this one brings it back, for PS3).
There are even more Homebrew Gems out there, but I don't have all Consoles Homebrewed (my PS3 Super Slim doesn't support any CFW out there).

Hmm
Not a homebrew per se but a hack loader.
Cheats are good for online now? Granted I do not care and quite like the idea of cheats but we are not at universal/undeniable positive just yet.
The only way to brick normally is to do silly things. Anything else and you are looking at a hardware flasher which is not really homebrew.
We do not call me to make things look pretty so I will leave that.
Because there are not wonderful voip devices available for not a lot elsewhere which part of the reason for the "meh" response?
Homebrew for the sake for homebrew... works for me.
There are a great many pieces of homebrew that eclipse most or all efforts in the official releases world but you have not really sold us on much yet.

maharito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a 1:1 clone could be made with rewritable memory, then wouldn't that mean you could rewrite a retail cartridge, too? I'm just being logical here.

Also, Shadow cherrypicking which comments to respond to makes me feel a tad uneasy. I'm not a SUPERCARD fanboy so much as an appreciator of a track record, either. Gateway has to earn theirs like anyone else.

FAST6191, I believe the themer you were looking for is MyMenuify. I forget the name all the time myself, even though I just used it a couple weeks ago!

Metoroid0, wouldn't you at least be interested in some high-class 3D photo editing and viewing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?