Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Nautilus4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When playing in SGB mode without SGB borders or custom borders loaded, there's a white background (or two white bars on the left and right in aspect scaled mode). Is there any way for me to change this color from white to something else? I've tinkered with the source code to no avail yet. Without scaling, a custom border solves the issue, but I'm trying to play Pokemon Red in aspect-scaled mode (without having to look at the silly Pokemon Red SGB border) and the white bars are throwing me off.

On another note, I'm very glad I found this emulator, as lameboy wasn't cutting it for me. Much kudos to the creator.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey! Alone in the Dark works at full speed on the latest build :D

XFGY9bi.jpg

MK4 works perfect now too :D

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When playing in SGB mode without SGB borders or custom borders loaded, there's a white background (or two white bars on the left and right in aspect scaled mode). Is there any way for me to change this color from white to something else? I've tinkered with the source code to no avail yet. Without scaling, a custom border solves the issue, but I'm trying to play Pokemon Red in aspect-scaled mode (without having to look at the silly Pokemon Red SGB border) and the white bars are throwing me off.

On another note, I'm very glad I found this emulator, as lameboy wasn't cutting it for me. Much kudos to the creator.
Oops. Actually I knew this would happen with SGB games but I forgot about it... since I always leave borders on. This is fixed now.

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
man are you still working on scaling? so far it has reached the 90% of lameboy quality in scaling! plz make my dream real

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How about to apply selectable custom palettes for regular GB (not SGB).
For example in visualboy advance we can edit palletes. to make different 2 set (for background and sprites).
Goomba color (emulator for GBA also has about 15 different sets).
I've got long ago PC Linker - hardware flashcard for GB/GBC - and It got nice set (green/blue colors for background, and orange/red for sprite) I wish I could have that one in gameyob.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For those who want to check the version of Gameyob, I've found an alternative.
Open GameYob.nds with notepad and scroll to the last line and it'll show you the version number.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's because notepad interprets the hex as if it was ASCII, same as opening it in a hex editor with just the ASCII view and no line break.
But why does notepad++ add all the (NUL) tags inbetween letters though? Is it reading some characters that notepad just skips or can't read?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
But why does notepad++ add all the (NUL) tags inbetween letters though? Is it reading some characters that notepad just skips or can't read?
Notepad reads them, it just doesn't display them because they have no content, they represent NULL. So that's why Notepad++ puts "NUL" icon there, so it can represent the existence of a NULL character.

And believe it or not, it is useful to specify null characters in code. I had to do it once when duplicating some binary command for some server hack shit. Generally it'll be escaped (see the IR-GTS source for examples), but when doing quick-and-dirty stuff, it's important to note all the characters that exist, even if they don't map o a letter of the alphabet or a commonly-used symbol.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Notepad reads them, it just doesn't display them because they have no content, they represent NULL. So that's why Notepad++ puts "NUL" icon there, so it can represent the existence of a NULL character.

And believe it or not, it is useful to specify null characters in code. I had to do it once when duplicating some binary command for some server hack shit. Generally it'll be escaped (see the IR-GTS source for examples), but when doing quick-and-dirty stuff, it's important to note all the characters that exist, even if they don't map o a letter of the alphabet or a commonly-used symbol.
So the null characters are like null characters at the end of strings like in C/C++ sort of, I guess.
I did see your post Boriar, but I don't think everybody has or knows how to use a HexEditor, not that it's hard or anything, but it complicates matters more than it has to.
And as everyone with Windows OS has Notepad, I thought might be an easier solution.
I thought it might be an easy solution for me too, but I figured I might as well just open the _dstwoplug map and check the header info.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Notepad doesn't show the bytes, but they're there. The characters in "GameYob" actually are UTF-16 (Unicode) encoded, given your description of NUL being between each ASCII byte in Notepad++.

In a hex editor:
Code:
0000 | 47 00 61 00 6D 00 59 00 6F 00 62 00          | G.a.m.e.Y.o.b.

These <00> bytes would prevent you from searching for "GameYob " to get the version, though.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Notepad doesn't show the bytes, but they're there. The characters in "GameYob" actually are UTF-16 (Unicode) encoded, given your description of NUL being between each ASCII byte in Notepad++.

In a hex editor:
Code:
0000 | 47 00 61 00 6D 00 59 00 6F 00 62 00          | G.a.m.e.Y.o.b.

These <00> bytes would prevent you from searching for "GameYob " to get the version, though.
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How about to apply selectable custom palettes for regular GB (not SGB).
For example in visualboy advance we can edit palletes. to make different 2 set (for background and sprites).
Goomba color (emulator for GBA also has about 15 different sets).
I've got long ago PC Linker - hardware flashcard for GB/GBC - and It got nice set (green/blue colors for background, and orange/red for sprite) I wish I could have that one in gameyob.
That's been on the todo list pretty much since beginning. I'll make a text file to customize palettes somehow, but I haven't thought too much about the format. In the meantime, the gbc bios allows you to colorize stuff.

Good news, I think I've found a way to get autosaving to work without the delays being too ridiculous. A lot of games (every one I've tried) are writing to sram in some situations even when you don't tell it to save, which was causing awful second-long freezes, since I had to fclose() and fopen() the files each time they were modified. (fflush() apparently isn't working?) After compiling libfat myself (though I didn't modify it), and setting its cache size to zero, autosaving seems to work without needing to do that, and the delays are reasonable. But I should be working on my summatives now, so I'll experiment some more in a few days.

Reactions: Walker D

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's been on the todo list pretty much since beginning. I'll make a text file to customize palettes somehow, but I haven't thought too much about the format. In the meantime, the gbc bios allows you to colorize stuff.

Good news, I think I've found a way to get autosaving to work without the delays being too ridiculous. A lot of games (every one I've tried) are writing to sram in some situations even when you don't tell it to save, which was causing awful second-long freezes, since I had to fclose() and fopen() the files each time they were modified. (fflush() apparently isn't working?) After compiling libfat myself (though I didn't modify it), and setting its cache size to zero, autosaving seems to work without needing to do that, and the delays are reasonable. But I should be working on my summatives now, so I'll experiment some more in a few days.
Just to be clear, with that build (whenever it comes) we'll be able to rely on the autosave or is it more of a "backup" sort of deal, in which it prevents disasters but doesn't avert the manual save issue?

PS: Like always, thank you a lot for the hard work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4vMLpcX7A