Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone fancy having a bit of nostalgia on Tetris DX for GBC?

Well... just use one of the following codes to replace the in-game A-TYPE music:

Credit to: nensondubois

Original Type-A (Korobeiniki)
57D-01B-3B6
64C-2CB-913
64C-31B-917
it plays exactly like the original

Russian Dance (unused)
3DD-01B-3B6
4BC-2CB-913
4CC-31B-917

Note: despite the bug on the mode selection screen when choosing in-game music, it ahould work as normal.

To play on the profile selection screen:
644-5CB-E6F Orignal Type A (Korobeiniki)
4A4-5CB-E6F Russian Dance (unused)

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Btw I like the lameboy icon more ;p gonna try to extract and replace it
looks more original cause after all its a gameboy emu.

A gameboy, and gameboy color emulator. Gameboy Color FTW.

You could use something like this two :P
http://kagenosensei.deviantart.com/...2029534?q=gallery:kagenosensei/12088708&qo=12
http://theemptycanvas.deviantart.co...7662808?q=gallery:theemptycanvas/4162266&qo=5

Ignore the animations ...the pokemon center gameboy is kinda cool as a icon

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for repeating myself, but I suggested it a while ago and I still have issues with this now and then: a highlight for the currently selected ROM would be a great feature to have. Anything. Slightly different font color, or a background highlight.

superdqfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thanks for this great work
Could someone please check a game called "Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren GB2 - Sabaku no Majou"?This game can't display correctly.The bottom line in the screen is white.It both appears in gameyob and lameboy.Could it be fixed?
And what is "nifi"?

Reactions: Drenn

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for repeating myself, but I suggested it a while ago and I still have issues with this now and then: a highlight for the currently selected ROM would be a great feature to have. Anything. Slightly different font color, or a background highlight.
Don't worry I didn't totally ignore your post when you mentioned it last. I intend to do this sometime. There's just so much I could be doing, it's tough to say when I'll get to it.
Could someone please check a game called "Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren GB2 - Sabaku no Majou"?This game can't display correctly.The bottom line in the screen is white.It both appears in gameyob and lameboy.Could it be fixed?
And what is "nifi"?
Nifi is what they call the ds's local wireless, enable it for link cable emulation. It only works in a handful of games however.
I took a look at that game, it looks like something I'd enjoy if I understood Japanese :) Have you noticed how the status bar at the top is missing a single (white) line? I wonder if that's related. I'll see what I can do with that.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay this is fixed now. You can try it out using the latest build for the master branch in the first post.
It required splitting up 2 parts of the rendering of each scanline, to be done at different times... at least, that was necessary to prevent breaking other games. Because by fixing this game, a few others temporarily broke - Robocop's level transition, Link's Awakening's intro... whatever I tried, something would end up broken. Turns out that on a gameboy, the first scanline takes twice as long to render for whatever reason. By implementing this, along with the fix for That Japanese Game, a lot of things are working better - Star Wars no longer freezes when pressing select, and one part of the gejmbaj demo has been fixed - it runs perfect now. The regressions I noticed seem to have disappeared, but it's possible another has crept up somewhere.

It works again in DSi mode......excellent, thank you very much.
Can you try using the master branch latest build now, rather than the special build from last page? And if it does boot, please test scaling to see if it works...

Reactions: superdqfan

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
It works again in DSi mode......excellent, thank you very much.
...Can you try using the master branch latest build now, rather than the special build from last page? And if it does boot, please test scaling to see if it works...

Gave it a try just now and got blackscreens.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gave it a try just now and got blackscreens.
In that case I'll just keep shared memory disabled in dsi mode for now, so, no scaling. It would be awesome if a programmer with dsi mode access could help with this, since I might want to use the shared memory for other things too. I have no clue what the problem is. But it shouldn't black screen anymore in the master branch.

Reactions: VatoLoco

Tiger21820

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo3dscentral.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, drenn! AMAZING EMULATOR!!! Good job!

I was wondering what the progress for the Ni-Fi support is. Do you plan to make improvements for Ni-Fi to work with more games?
The ni-fi is my favorite feature, and not to mention the first ever emulator to support linking!

One more question: Do you plan on adding support for the COMM/IR port through the same method or a similar manner?
(Such as for trading high scores in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe/Pokémon Pinball and Mystery Gift in Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get that shared memory thing. Aren't you using the capture unit with VRAM banks C and D for scaling? This should work on DSi too...
The shared memory signals arm7 to start copying from bank D to C, since arm9 needs to allocate the vram banks to arm7 first. I could also do this using fifo. However I'd like to have shared memory working. I'll probably want to try implementing sound emulation with shared memory at some point due to the large amounts of fifo traffic it currently causes.
Hey, drenn! AMAZING EMULATOR!!! Good job!

I was wondering what the progress for the Ni-Fi support is. Do you plan to make improvements for Ni-Fi to work with more games?
The ni-fi is my favorite feature, and not to mention the first ever emulator to support linking!

One more question: Do you plan on adding support for the COMM/IR port through the same method or a similar manner?
(Such as for trading high scores in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe/Pokémon Pinball and Mystery Gift in Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal)
There's been some discussion on how to improve nifi, and the consensus seems to be that the only way to get it working perfectly would be to emulate both games on both ds's. IR on the other hand, will probably be much more painless to emulate. I'll experiment with it sometime.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm getting black screens with the latest build on my dsixl and dstwo
Oh. It's probably the same issue as in dsi mode then.

It just occurred to me that this might be due to conflicts in vram... the file chooser might actually be running, invisibly. Can you try blindly selecting a rom? Remember the first thing listed is a directory, so you'd need to scroll down first.

Edit: If this is the problem, then I made some modifications which may fix this. Also I disabled the dsi mode checks since this doesn't appear to be dsi specific.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. It's probably the same issue as in dsi mode then.

It just occurred to me that this might be due to conflicts in vram... the file chooser might actually be running, invisibly. Can you try blindly selecting a rom? Remember the first thing listed is a directory, so you'd need to scroll down first.

Edit: If this is the problem, then I made some modifications which may fix this. Also I disabled the dsi mode checks since this doesn't appear to be dsi specific.
That fixed the issue. Thanks for your hard work!

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, this emulator has come really far. Looks like it might finally be time to delete good ol' Lameboy! I'm running into a few minor issues though: in Kirby's Dream Land 2, the colouring on many sprites is all messed up, and I can't play any hacked ROMs, such as the Metroid 2 DX hack, which worked fine on Lameboy. Once this stuff is fixed, this will be the ultimate GB emulator on the DS!

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, this emulator has come really far. Looks like it might finally be time to delete good ol' Lameboy! I'm running into a few minor issues though: in Kirby's Dream Land 2, the colouring on many sprites is all messed up, and I can't play any hacked ROMs, such as the Metroid 2 DX hack, which worked fine on Lameboy. Once this stuff is fixed, this will be the ultimate GB emulator on the DS!
Some rom hacks don't work with the GBC bios because of an incorrect header checksum. So they don't work on actual hardware. Disable the bios and it will run. Perhaps I'll add a check to disable the bios for such games.
SGB support has numerous problems, if you disable it then Kirby's Dream Land 2 works properly, albeit in black and white. That's what I get for starting on new features when the previous one is incomplete... but I'm focusing on finishing SGB support next.

Reactions: Canadacdn

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've found a game that both GameYob v0.3-104 and Lameboy v0.12 have a lot of trouble with, Moorhuhn 2.
958548_121761_front.jpg

Moorhuhn 2 is a port of a PC title that features a lot of pre-rendered 3D visuals, the GBC version is much the same.
Actual gameplay seems to run fine, maybe the sprite flickering is an issue I'm not sure, but more pressing is the trouble emulating the large pre-rendered FMV stuff.
There are a number of large full-screen graphics that display improperly, like a huhn flying across the screen before the title screen, the title screen itself, the Similis logo, and the credits animation which has photos of developers displayed on 3D computer monitors.

Just try it and you'll see something's up.

Reactions: Drenn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoANBgzYkQ