Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't an offshoot of a glitch existing in Pokemon Yellow, it's a separate "emulation is inaccurate causing my name to be read as pokemon" glitch. Although it seems to have something in common with the missingno glitch in that my name is read as pokemon identifiers. It's not really related to the mew glitch.

It's getting better though. The pokemon listed are of the right species, but their stats tend to be glitched up. And I managed to initiate a trade. I am now a proud owner of a level 0 PPPDGEY which knows the glitch move "TM55"...

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This isn't an offshoot of a glitch existing in Pokemon Yellow, it's a separate "emulation is inaccurate causing my name to be read as pokemon" glitch. Although it seems to have something in common with the missingno glitch in that my name is read as pokemon identifiers. It's not really related to the mew glitch.

It's getting better though. The pokemon listed are of the right species, but their stats tend to be glitched up. And I managed to initiate a trade. I am now a proud owner of a level 0 PPPDGEY which knows the glitch move "TM55"...
aye but thought that video could give you some idea's as to the way pokemon handles pokemon ID's and then leading to a possible idea of the root cause

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aye but thought that video could give you some idea's as to the way pokemon handles pokemon ID's and then leading to a possible idea of the root cause
I figure the root cause is because data is being read the wrong way, for some reason - maybe a byte is being sent twice, or not sent at all, confusing the recipient and causing data to be shifted. Which shifts my name into the pokemon data. It's interesting to note the similarities with the missingno glitch but it doesn't really lead me to the cause.

Foxhounder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure the root cause is because data is being read the wrong way, for some reason - maybe a byte is being sent twice, or not sent at all, confusing the recipient and causing data to be shifted. Which shifts my name into the pokemon data. It's interesting to note the similarities with the missingno glitch but it doesn't really lead me to the cause.
This is most likely the cause as the same thing happens with BGB due to its innability to connect correctly when one emulator has focus and the other doesn't.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Actually, the mew glitch wasn't the main point, but pokemon "encountered" gets calculated by the sp atk stored on the last "monster data encountered" register, among other thigs which I don't really know for now. It could be a clue. The stuff in common is, certain value points held on monster data register points to dex database's pokemon offset

-- edit:

Great to know that, drenn.

Foxhounder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the mew glitch wasn't the main point, but pokemon "encountered" gets calculated by the sp atk stored on the last "monster data encountered" register, among other thigs which I don't really know for now. It could be a clue. The stuff in common is, certain value points held on monster data register points to dex database's pokemon offset
But I doubt this has anything to do with his problem. His problem is connection issues.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the benefit of those arguing about whether this is an offshoot of the Mew glitch, I will offer this explanation.

It is not the Mew glitch that is causing this, but rather, one can use the "hex list of Pokémon" for the Mew glitch to see how the data for NiFi is being corrupted.

The trainer name happens to be what causes corruption in the wild Pokémon list for the Red and Blue Cinnabar coast glitch, which yields Missingno. I presume the correct memory is being read here, not incorrect memory belonging to the trainer's name.

What's probably happening is:
a) The byte is actually sent twice.
b) The previous byte is read as the current byte by the receiver in some circumstances.
c) The previous byte is re-read by the receiver in circumstances where it has not received the next byte (could explain the tripled P in PPPDGEY and the missed I).

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just grabbed today's build, Just a thought could we have a Wi-Fi toggle option?
That build has only very preliminary nifi linking, my first commit in fact. It doesn't work with pokemon (even in a glitchy way). And yes, I'd better make a way to toggle it.

And by the way, for whoever might want to compile the nifi branch, you need to replace libnds's libwifi binaries with the nifi hacked versions. Nevermind, nifi binaries are in the project now.

OmniShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, being able to play yellow version with the full experience of pika! lol somehow I just don't get tired of that game. thanks for all the hard work put into this!

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slowly getting better... I can actually initiate a link battle in Pokemon Yellow - it gets my name right and everything! However it's unreliable. At some point it's likely to freeze up or send the wrong information. When the game with the "internal" clock initiates a transfer, it expects the one with the "external" clock to provide a response, but apparently sometimes it doesn't... or at least that response isn't picked up properly. This also sometimes happens with Tetris, but Tetris tends to work much better. Perhaps I can implement a timeout until it should try again, but that would just be a workaround to a bigger problem... that some packets are lost in transmission.

If anyone wants to try it out the "latest build" link is updated.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the nifi branch is probably going to be merged into master at some point, I would appreciate an INSTALL document that details the required build environment. That document would ideally be maintained as new dependencies are added.

It can be relatively simple, just saying the name of the dependencies and a URL for downloading them, or it can be detailed, perhaps copy-pasting from devkitARM's documentation and so on.

lps

man with no face
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tagteam.ru
XP
Country
Hi Drenn, thanks for your works!
I use GameYob like plug-in for wood r4 for run roms directly from wood menu. It works fine, but soft-reset don't work. Can you fix it?

I have some ideas about next updates for your emu.
1. add ini file to save config (button mapping, default rom folder etc.)
2. add rapid-fire buttons (XY)
3. add swap button option (A<->B) like AB/BY now
4. add save/load state
5. add fit to height option

Also I found bug: roms colored with GameBoy Colorizer don't work.

Sorry for bad english

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the nifi branch is probably going to be merged into master at some point, I would appreciate an INSTALL document that details the required build environment. That document would ideally be maintained as new dependencies are added.

It can be relatively simple, just saying the name of the dependencies and a URL for downloading them, or it can be detailed, perhaps copy-pasting from devkitARM's documentation and so on.
I decided to throw in the nifi libraries with the project, instead, since I don't expect people will be updating it anytime soon. So now there's no need to build them yourself.
Hi Drenn, thanks for your works!
I use GameYob like plug-in for wood r4 for run roms directly from wood menu. It works fine, but soft-reset don't work. Can you fix it?

I have some ideas about next updates for your emu.
1. add ini file to save config (button mapping, default rom folder etc.)
2. add rapid-fire buttons (XY)
3. add swap button option (A<->B) like AB/BY now
4. add save/load state
5. add fit to height option

Also I found bug: roms colored with GameBoy Colorizer don't work.

Sorry for bad english
I'll check out the colorized games. And I don't know much about soft reset, but I'll fix it if I can. The other things you mentioned, I plan to do at some point. Keys will be completely remappable later on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch