Gamestop Overhauling Its Trade-In System, Offering More Money

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
And you seemed to miss the point that, for some people, the convenience is worth the lower payout for cash now. Many people prefer an immediate, but smaller payout over a larger payout that requires more time and effort (selling online, figuring a price, dealing with shipping, etc.). Yeah, technically you may have "lost" money (you're not getting the maximum value for the game), but money you can use immediately might be worth more to a person than a disc that just takes up space and collects dust. It's all about personal priorities.

If all vendors bartered for video game, or if game discs were a form of currency, you might have a point. Sadly, we live in the real world.
Doesn't change my point at all. You lose more money if you trade at gamestop.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only real problem with Gamestop trade in, is that people are retards and don't understand the ideas behind actually having to re-sell the game.
The most obvious is supply and demand. If they have a million copies of a game that isn't selling for shit, well i'm sorry timmy but they aren't going to give you face value for a piece of shit they have no use for.

The other being that you aren't selling the game to them. Your lazy ass is getting off the couch, possibly brushing the Cheetos dust off, and going down there to pawn off your useless shit to this BUSINESS so THEY can SELL the game FOR YOU. You just get your cut of the deal upfront.

Honestly this stuff isn't hard to understand.

Also the sketchy practices of Gamestop are a blown-up myth. Sure some stores are shit, but that is the same for literally every chain in existence. We have 3 subways in town, 2 are complete shit. Not subways fault. I think we have 4 Tim Hortons...2 are shit, 1 is decent, one is fantastic. Hell the store I work at is full of incompetent monkeys, yet the town 30min away has a fantastic store. As for my gamestop/ebgames? It's fantastic. Amazing employees that know their shit, no pushing crap on me whenever I go. I've never once been burned by that place. I've been in others that were the same, and in one or two that were pretty craptastic.

tl;dr: people are morons.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same goes to you.

Please, enlighten us where we can trade games for more money at the same convenience then?

Gamestop is essentially the only video game-dedicated store in the United States at least, minus a few mom-and-pop stores but those are VERY rare. You could go on Ebay or similar sites and sell all your games but that requires you to ship them, find buyers, etc. At Gamestop, I can take a stack of games, go in, say "I want to trade these all", and walk out with cash or a new game. No other place does it as quickly and easily as Gamestop, as much as you may dislike.

Your point is "You lose MORE money when you go to Gamestop!" Our point is "Yeah, but it's quicker and more convenient and some people would rather have that than jump through hoops for a few extra bucks."

If you're going to defend your point, don't just restate it and say "Y-you should read my post too!"

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Your point is "You lose MORE money when you go to Gamestop!" Our point is "Yeah, but it's quicker and more convenient and some people would rather have that than jump through hoops for a few extra bucks."

If you're going to defend your point, don't just restate it and say "Y-you should read my post too!"
Man you are fucking annoying. What's so hard to get my simple point that you lose more money on gamestop because they fucking screw you over? I get it that people know and like it to get screwed over for some tiny but quick cash (which would be stupid) but how in the holy earth does that change anything about my point? Just because some people prefer quick cash at the expense of being screwed doesn't change the fact that they would have gotten more money for their stuff if they sold them on ebay, flea markets or whatever.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man you are fucking annoying. What's so hard to get my simple point that you lose more money on gamestop because they fucking screw you over? I get it that people know and like it to get screwed over for some tiny but quick cash (which would be stupid) but how in the holy earth does that change anything about my point? Just because some people prefer quick cash at the expense of being screwed doesn't change the fact that they would have gotten more money for their stuff if they sold them on ebay, flea markets or whatever.

Or I could go to Gamestop and get a chunk of cash and leave instead of creating separate Ebay listings, managing shipping and handling, and waiting for someone to bid on it or someone to buy it or find a local flee market, go there, set up a table and everything, and sweat my balls off waiting for kids to come around and buy my games.

I may be fucking annoying buy I'm not fucking wrong.

Reactions: NEP and Gahars

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Or I could go to Gamestop and get a chunk of cash and leave instead of creating separate Ebay listings, managing shipping and handling, and waiting for someone to bid on it or someone to buy it or find a local flee market, go there, set up a table and everything, and sweat my balls off waiting for kids to come around and buy my games.

I may be fucking annoying buy I'm not fucking wrong.
Nobody said you are wrong. Of course people can do exactly that what you just said (I said in myself in my previous post above btw), but again, how does that change the fact that those people would still have gotten more money for their stuff if they used these alternatives I listed? Seriously, this whole debate is about two choices people can make:

a) Sell stuff on gamestop -> quick cash, but low amount

b) Sell stuff not on gamestop -> more cash, but more time consuming

Both options have their advantages depending on your situation, but my point is option b is the overall smarter choice.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
c) have target practice for shovelware that noone will buy -- make no profit but have more fun than playing said shovelware

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then don't buy from that seller.
Some random idiot asking comically too much isn't representative of eBay as a whole. If you're going for something with a high demand, the best way to get good deals is to sort by newly listed, because they'll be gone in no time, as opposed to the rigid nature of GameStop and the shit money they give to you for your games.
As opposed to the douche-bro's that were selling 60gig PS3's for $9000 USD? (No, I'm not kidding. I remember that one because it made the news, and at least a couple of meme sites)

eBay is full of douche-nozzles overcharging like a fiend. You can't even see a single listing for a Dreamcast BBA for anything less than $200, even when the part sold for $30 new, from Sega directly.
$70 for a box of Bust A Groove for PS1, not even including the game disc.
$1000 buy-it-now for the few "new" CECHA PS3's listed anymore.

the list goes on.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You are a special kind of retarded man.

They aren't screwing you over, you're screwing you over. They're taking your shit and selling it for you. Your dumb lazy ass is the only one at fault here for coming out with less money from the deal. You aren't selling them the game.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You are a special kind of retarded man.

They aren't screwing you over, you're screwing you over. They're taking your shit and selling it for you. Your dumb lazy ass is the only one at fault here for coming out with less money from the deal. You aren't selling them the game.
Well that doesn't make any sense.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that doesn't make any sense.

Essentially Gamestop serves as a "middleman". They "sell" the game for you. It's like a pawn shop. You'll get a lower price than regular sale price, but you'll be guaranteed money. You go to a flea market or Ebay and you won't have the reputation behind you of Gamestop. You buy a used game at Gamestop and you know it's A) legitimate, B) will work, and C) you're guaranteed a refund if it doesn't pass these criteria. People are much more hesitant when buying on Ebay or at a flea market because there's none of these guarantees.

You could easily post all these games online and have half of them not sold, and wait a long time just getting rid of them all. Time is money they say, so selling to Gamestop is just better in the end.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Essentially Gamestop serves as a "middleman". They "sell" the game for you. It's like a pawn shop. You'll get a lower price than regular sale price, but you'll be guaranteed money. You go to a flea market or Ebay and you won't have the reputation behind you of Gamestop. You buy a used game at Gamestop and you know it's A) legitimate, B) will work, and C) you're guaranteed a refund if it doesn't pass these criteria. People are much more hesitant when buying on Ebay or at a flea market because there's none of these guarantees.

You could easily post all these games online and have half of them not sold, and wait a long time just getting rid of them all. Time is money they say, so selling to Gamestop is just better in the end.
Negotiation is also an option, even at gamestop. But they will still screw you over no matter how good your negotiation skills are.
Not sure if you are aware of this, but ebay has something that's called buyer protection. Plus many sellers there offer refunds no questions asked.
While I agree with you that time is money it's not like you lose any money if you have to wait 2 weeks to get your stuff sold. You are still gonna be paid much more than you get from gamestop. And in the mean time you go to work. No money lost. I would say selling games on gamestop is only for desperate people who wants cash here and now and can't afford to wait.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Negotiation is also an option, even at gamestop. But they will still screw you over no matter how good your negotiation skills are.

Um, do you have experience with this? Because it's pretty common knowledge that GameStop clerks aren't allowed to negotiate trade rates or prices in any circumstance whatsoever. If you've had experience with a clerk doing this, they could get into huge trouble.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Um, do you have experience with this? Because it's pretty common knowledge that GameStop clerks aren't allowed to negotiate trade rates or prices in any circumstance whatsoever. If you've had experience with a clerk doing this, they could get into huge trouble.
Of course. If you want to sell something, you can try to negotiate the price with them. I did, but their offer was still hilarious. If you want to buy something, don't even bother.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Of course. If you want to sell something, you can try to negotiate the price with them. I did, but their offer was still hilarious. If you want to buy something, don't even bother.

Interesting. That's certainly not the case in my country (I assume your profile flag is up to date).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol