GameStop.com was hacked and credit card info was stolen

gamestop_logo.jpg

GameStop is currently investigating reports of data breaching, which includes credit card data and personal customer data after being informed by a security firm. These breaches were caused by hackers that maliciously install software that sends the CVV2 data before its encrypted and processed.

If you made any purchases on GameStop.com between September 2016 and February 2017 there is a chance your information is compromised. Check your banking statements from September to now and look for any odd charges that may have occurred. For good measure I would cancel and get it replaced if possible too.

:arrow: Source 1

:arrow: Source 2

Last edited by Chary,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont have my CC anywhere, not even Steam or PayPal, the only way I get money on PayPal is add cc, add money, remove cc, done. Im sorry for anybody that got affected by this :(
LOL you can remove it all you want.. It's still in their records. And a lot of places keep those records for a long time.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
gamestop dun goofed.

Stores are closing...

Credit cards being hacked...

its going the way of the blockbuster.

I hope i can go to the us when all the shops in texas close so i can get really cheap games at clearance sales.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, well good thing I haven't shopped at gamestop since about 2002.

Ok was more like 2012, but it feels like 2002. Got tired of them ripping me off.

Edit: My "yikes" was ninja'd!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
@chartube12, that's not what happened in the case with Target and Best Buy. They got hit with POS malware (one specifically being BlackPOS, which got leaked on malware forums). It had nothing to do with card information being stored in plain text as information was stolen the moment a customer swiped their card at a POS terminal. That was just bullshit hysteria drummed up by the mainstream. Chipped cards don't help either, as new POS malware and skimmers have arose to circumvent this. Want to know how to keep your money safe? Pay in cash.

Last edited by Joom,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Want to know how to keep your money safe? Pay in cash.
My CC and CDC have "zero liability" and if I lose it I don't lose all my money. Whereas if I lose my cash, it's gone. Plus change is quite inconvenient.

Here you might want one of these to go with your paranoia.

tin-baseball.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: chartube12

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My CC and CDC have "zero liability" and if I lose it I don't lose all my money. Whereas if I lose my cash, it's gone. Plus change is quite inconvenient.

Here you might want one of these to go with your paranoia.

tin-baseball.jpg

I see you really have your finger on the pulse of this topic. Cards are insured, sure, but that doesn't prevent some Russian from making off with your money. Also, I'm not paranoid, I'm just well versed on the subject because it's my job. I'm a private contractor for malware firms and corporations that performs auditing for occasions just like this. Also, boohoo "inconvenience". Really puts an ironic spin on your "HA, I THINK I'M SO FUNNY" mentality.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chartube12, that's not what happened in the case with Target and Best Buy. They got hit with POS malware (one specifically being BlackPOS, which got leaked on malware forums). It had nothing to do with card information being stored in plain text as information was stolen the moment a customer swiped their card at a POS terminal. That was just bullshit hysteria drummed up by the mainstream. Chipped cards don't help either, as new POS malware and skimmers have arose to circumvent this. Want to know how to keep your money safe? Pay in cash.

My cousin is a target employee. I can tell you 100% certain, cards were stored in plan text files. Regardless of how the attacked happened, they were still not securing costumers data. It would been vary easy through other means to hack in and still those text files.

Chipped cards are still safer then unchipped when using the chip. Since the random card number expires in 24 to 48 hours and they never get to see your real card number. Don't listen to the paranoid telling you, the chips are useless.

Last edited by chartube12,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My cousin is a target employee. I can tell you 100% certain, cards were stored in plan text files. Regardless of how the attacked happened, they were still not securing costumers data. It would been vary easy through other means to hack in and still those text files.
They didn't steal text files. They stole the information straight from the POS terminals, and the malware itself stored that information in plain text. It was being sold on the Darkode forum. Here's a write up on the malware itself and how it works.
http://www.xylibox.com/2013/05/dump-memory-grabber-blackpos.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1