Games You SHOULDN'T Buy #3 - Pokémon X and Y

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
I have decided to put this column on an indefinite hiatus. You are welcome to voice your thoughts but further posting for this series is done for the time being.

tumblr_inline_n2hfutHUVw1qb415x.gif

Oh boy. This is why we can't have nice things. Stay classy, GBATemp.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have decided to put this column on an indefinite hiatus. You are welcome to voice your thoughts but further posting for this series is done for the time being.

That makes me a bit sad. Actually the reactions to this thread remind me of what Ars Technica just posted after the WWDC '14: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/great-artists-steal-the-ios-8-features-inspired-by-android/

The comment section and forum discussions show exactly why this kind of writing is needed in this day and age. Just like these articles by you Ryukouki. Not everyone agrees with everything (who honestly ever has?), but going with only one opinion is not productive. The discussion here and in the previous threads have been some of the most interesting readings in a while. I'd have participated in many a occasion, but I'm preoccupied elsewhere at the present time.

Kudos to all posters, too. I may not agree with most of you, but this thread is golden. I like what I'm seeing, since the OP created discussion in a subject that is both easy to relate to (who hasn't played a Pokémon game?) as well as easy to love/hate.

Reactions: jagerstaffel

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes me a bit sad. Actually the reactions to this thread remind me of what Ars Technica just posted after the WWDC '14: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/great-artists-steal-the-ios-8-features-inspired-by-android/

The comment section and forum discussions show exactly why this kind of writing is needed in this day and age. Just like these articles by you Ryukouki. Not everyone agrees with everything (who honestly ever has?), but going with only one opinion is not productive. The discussion here and in the previous threads have been some of the most interesting readings in a while. I'd have participated in many a occasion, but I'm preoccupied elsewhere at the present time.

Kudos to all posters, too. I may not agree with most of you, but this thread is golden. I like what I'm seeing, since the OP created discussion in a subject that is both easy to relate to (who hasn't played a Pokémon game?) as well as easy to love/hate.

Some of those comments are spot on to what I'm witnessing here.

EDIT: I may just keep this going after all. What I choose to do with it, however, will be something that you will all bear with.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'd like to see more of how not buying it matters, rather than just it being a critique of a popular game. More than just a "I don't like this popular game for x, y, and z reasons", it'd be nice if there was a "this is why we can't have nice things" flavour. If that makes sense at all.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could not disagree more.

X/Y was the first decent pokemon game since gold/silver. Ever since gold and silver i'd just play pokemon for maybe an hour, get bored, drop it. Same old same old. X/Y finally changed things up just enough that I put in QUITE a few hours.
First pokemon in years to actually be worth a buy. The crappy remakes being done are a real step backwards.

As for difficulty, really? Every pokemon game can be beaten with 1 or 2 pokemans. They're simple. Usually the fun and difficulty is training up your team and catching 'em all. Those...whatever they're called, things where you fight battle after battle with them becoming progressively harder, is what is supposed to be the difficult part. I found that pretty fun in x/y, and get my ass kicked.

kirixa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I couldn't agree more with Ryu (funny be the post right behind someone finding the exact opposite).

I've been playing pokemon ever since Blue and have bought and finished 13 of the main titles (RBYGCSELGDHGBB2Y) and I must say, I found x/y to be the very worst to date. I'm not going to explain why (since Ryu did that for me). B2/W2, those were games. In fact, the whole fifth gen was GREAT! GF actually tried to start fresh, new continent, no old pokes, no third (fusion of the other 2) game but actual sequels, exp based on levels, interesting characters with a backstory, revolutionary plottwists, etc, etc. I really feel GF made XY just to get new people into the games, and the only way they tried to get away with it with old fans was by giving them fan service (old starters, mewtwo in a cave, a kanto bird,...).

All in all I regret purchasing a X/Y copy, I would have rather bought platinum (never played it).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gen 5? Interesting characters? I'm sorry, but I don't think you were playing the same game as everyone else.

N was not interesting... at all. In fact, he was so worthless he could have been written out of the story entirely without any real plot holes forming. And there weren't any plot twists, whatsoever.

Diamond was 240 hours worth of work. There was nothing fun about it, especially with the ungodly amount of processing lag to slow everything down. Black 2 - in a hurried frenzy to complete the game before Nintendo shut down WFC - was nearly 600 hours of pure, mind-numbing pain. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I will concede that X is the first game since Gen 1 where I was able to catch a team of six and actually stick with that troop through the whole game. And it was heartwarming to be able to pet and care for muh Jolty. But even after all of that, I just don't have any motivation to go through the process of 100%ing the game, or even to continue playing, especially if they're going to program it in such a way that requires me to deal with the unadulterated nightmare that is the GTS all over again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0