Games you gave up on

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty much every Super Mario game I've ever picked up (except for 3D world). The layout of the games just really aren't for me, because I'm always trying to backtrack in my games, which you can't really do in Mario. I always feel like I'm missing something and need to go back and check, but how will I do that if I am forced to keep going right??? Grrrrrr
Have you never played Super Mario 3, World, or 64?
Just replay the extremely short stage.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Most of them, TBH. Unless I get hooked on a game, I usually get bored within a couple hours and never touch it again. I really tried to like Skyrim, I own 3 different versions of it (regular, definitive edition and VR) and I never got far in any of them. I got bored of Pokemon Platinum about 2/3 of the way through, never touched it again, despite liking Pearl I just felt done with that generation. Every 2D Zelda game except for Minish Cap I never beat despite loving the 3D Zeldas and Zelda being possibly my all time favorite franchise. The later FF games (past X) bored me. And about 2/3 of my ~570 game steam library I've never played but even out of the ones I've played, I've probably only beaten maybe 30 of them. Not to mention all the games I pirated, didn't like enough to return to later and uninstalled and have long since forgotten about.
Pretty much every Super Mario game I've ever picked up (except for 3D world). The layout of the games just really aren't for me, because I'm always trying to backtrack in my games, which you can't really do in Mario. I always feel like I'm missing something and need to go back and check, but how will I do that if I am forced to keep going right??? Grrrrrr
lol. You don't need to backtrack when the levels are only a couple of minutes long and you can replay them at any time.

Reactions: AsWeGoAlong14

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only game I never finished that I've started was Final Fantasy XIII, I find the paradigm shift battle system tremendously boring as hell cuz I can't even make my own decisions in battle (the abilities are preset) additionally the dungeons and towns are very linear like I'm playing an on-rails RPG going from point A to point B without freedom of exploring, very boring indeed. This game should have been called Final Hallway 13.
Amend my earlier post to include this.

I am on record as actually liking 12, and there are plenty of mediocre JRPGs I slogged through, but I could not do 13 at all.
Uncorking the flamebait then I could never be bothered to finish Legend of Dragoon. I did recently watch a retrospective on it that cast it in a bit of a new light and could possibly see what my friends really liked about it back when but still did nothing for me.
Monopoly, the board game. My family has so many versions of it. Farmopoly, Birdopoly, oh and don't forget the credit card one! Each time one of them cranks one out, I internally die. For the life of me, I cannot win a single game because my brother somehow always buys the property I always land on. I forfeit the moment that happens because I can never pick myself up from the loss.

If we're talking video games on the other hand...

I'll admit to say I gave up with Majora's Mask after the second dungeon. I got a bit lost of what to do next and never picked it up again. The three-day limit always made me anxious, too. This is one of the only games that made me extremely anxious whenever the next day would come, and I would end up resetting the clock and trying to do a dungeon or side-quest again.

The original Kingdom Hearts is a chore. I started playing it during the summer of this year and just stopped. It's exhausting and the slowest game I had ever played. The last world I completed was the whale? I had to look it up to make sure that it's name was Monstro. I want to get through this game, as I would like to get myself into the KH series. But I don't know how I'm supposed to when the first installment is like this!

GTA IV. Another slow and apparently long game. It's been a while since I last touched it. I have no idea where I left off, but I remember hating driving around Liberty City. And that's kind of a vital asset.
For monopoly then buy the oranges -- everybody eventually ends up in jail and those are the statistically likelier place to land after getting out.
That said Monopoly is a fairly boring game when all is said and done. See about getting into the German board game side of things, if you need an avenue/gateway without getting into something too hardcore right away then it will not last long as the game of choice but Settlers of Catan is what most tend to pick for that one.

As far as GTA4 if you did want to do something with it I might actually suggest instead picking up Lost and the Damned/Ballad of Gay Tony double pack. The base game does little for me but those two (Lost and Damned is a biker gang based affair, Ballad is more of a condensed story) I actually had a really good time with.

Reactions: DudderButter

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Trigger. I know everyone loves it. I've really tried twice and was not interested. Final Fantasy 13. I really wanted to play more but the combat is so boring. Made it to the big field and that's about where I quit. Skies of Arcadia. Combat again sucks. People slowly walk around to their targets. Can never remember what spells do due to weird names. Eternal Darkness. Cool idea with sanity effects but I never was at a point to experience sanity effects, and I was near the end of the game. Plenty of other games I'm sure but these were off the top of my head.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS2 release of Shadow Of The Colossus, couldn't deal with the awful framerate. Didn't finish it until the hd ps3 release.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
- Star Ocean Till end of time (it became too difficult, at the point where you randomly die in 1 hit)
Yeah, The end of Till the end of time is a serious pain in the arse unless you get extremely confident with the battle system and are abusing the item creation system. It's not helped by them using the "pressure-sensitive" nature of ps2 controllers... that fucking dragon flute puzzle ...

There aren't that many games out there that I have thrown my hands in the air and said "I quit". Dark Souls and Bloodborne are probably the two biggest, just not my sort of games at the end of the day.
That's not to say that there haven't been a lot of games I've almost not finished. FF8, FF10, FF13 (including 2 and 3) were games that I needed to finish by hell or high water no matter just so I could tick them off the list, I remember when FF8 launched I ended up falling asleep while playing it and to this day is the only game I have fallen asleep while playing. Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2) is another one I had to force my way through. I always remember that one as a good game and then midway through disc 2 it starts becoming a chore.

And then you have the games that I actually abandoned and came back to years later and loved like Enter the Gungeon. I actually hated the game to start with when I originally bought it back in 2016 and then just looking for something to play for an hour a couple of years later I start playing it and became a Gungeon god. I think when I originally bought it I expected it to be a lot like the binding of Isacc when it wasn't (well had its own spin on things) I got disappointed and forgot about it

Reactions: Cyan

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Final Fantasy 9 on PS4.
Didn't like how Garnet went from a beautiful dress to an ugly orange jumpsuit, and didn't like how the party splits up for a significant period of time, since I like my guys to be (roughly) equally-levelled and a party split-up is wholly antithetical to that.

What else...oh yeah, Monster Hunter World. Got too repetitive for me, and grinding for resources is not something I find fun.

Like a decade ago now, Super Mario Galaxy - those damn FOUR Chaos Emeralds Green Star missions, with the stupid and wildly-inaccurate motion controls. I still think Nintendo was absolutely retarded not to add their own Classic Controller support to their own platformer, and this just proves my goddamn point; ray-surfing and ball-rolling would've been much easier and much less bloody rage-inducing with standard dual-stick controls, as would the rest of the goddamn game.
...Calm down, Rich, calm down...this worthless console just pisses me off so much, but you're done now Rich, don't talk about that anymore...

Antichamber. Got lost, and didn't know what to do. A confusing game, that; I only bought it because I thought it looked cool when I saw clips of it in various videos. Ah well.

A Link to the Past. It just felt too antiquated to me, both in art style and gameplay, and I found the Dark World enemies dealt too much damage, so I just gave up.
Funnily enough, I tried ALttP after completing A Link Between Worlds several times and loving that game (minus the Cucco-dodging and race minigames, and the timed-Rupee-collecting two as well). Just couldn't bring myself to like the original; weird.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I played Final Fantasy X but didn't find it entertaining enough to finish. Once I got up to a hard boss I gave up. In Assassin's Creed Valhalla there was way much stuff to do but I wasn't enjoying it that much so I stopped playing. Sometimes if a game is short I'll finish it even if I don't like it that much.
You know I always go on and off about Cuphead. Part of me wants to continue and other wants to throw in the towel.

Reactions: Aerocool

Aerocool

Man in a Box
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Majora's Mask. Countless times I went back and said "I'm going to play through this this time" only to fail. Beat I think two dungeons but always end up lost. To me it's one of the most confusing games even with a guide because of the stupid time restraint. I'm sure others find it easy but not me. I've beaten quite a few Zeldas including Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword, Ocarina, WInd Waker, Twilight Princess, LTTP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass.

It took me over 10 years to have the ‘maturity’ and ‘wisdom’ to beat the game without a guide all by myself. Once you have the feel for the game it’s pretty straight forward but as a kid I was just overwhelmed by the pressure and never properly finished it. Still, playing MM is one of my best childhood memories!

Edit: I never finished BoTW tho, it’s just sooo huge and I don’t have the mental capacity and time anymore to invest myself in such huge games even tho I really think I’m missing out on a great experience

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does Chutes N Ladders, Monopoly, and Twister count?
The latter two might. The former, at least the western version (original Indian game that chutes and ladders/snakes and ladders is based on is a bit different) is arguably not a game at all as you make no decisions throughout its "play" time other than to continue to participate.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took me over 10 years to have the ‘maturity’ and ‘wisdom’ to beat the game without a guide all by myself. Once you have the feel for the game it’s pretty straight forward but as a kid I was just overwhelmed by the pressure and never properly finished it. Still, playing MM is one of my best childhood memories!

Edit: I never finished BoTW tho, it’s just sooo huge and I don’t have the mental capacity and time anymore to invest myself in such huge games even tho I really think I’m missing out on a great experience

After the tutorial section of BOTW I didn't find it too bad at all. I found MM way more difficult to navigate. There was a few times I checked an online guide for BOTW but that's it. MM if I load my save point I don't know where to go from where I'm at because I've been stuck at the same place for years. Of course MM is not a huge game but it just is a game where you might need a certain item to proceed and you gotta know where to go to get said item, that in itself is no different than most Zeldas but what frustrates is you can only get some items are certain times or on a certain day. Angry Video Game Nerd did an episode where he beat it and it seemed like it would be incredibly difficult for someone to never use a guide at all so congrats on that. It seemed crazy to me.

It just shows different people different opinions about navigating games, which there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Jayinem,
Reactions: Aerocool

ZipMartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Majora's Mask is a strange one indeed. I can totally understand why people hate that game. The first time I tried it I was so lost in its clockwork design I gave up really fast. Years later I tried it again, better prepared and knowing what to expect, and I ended up loving it after understanding how to deal with the time limit. In the end, visiting different places at different times became an instigating form of exploration for me.

I bought the 3DS version a few years ago but haven't played it yet.

MrGribble77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave up on Breath of the Wild because every shrine had the same dang aesthetics, about 130 of them suckers to! lol I'd say that was the main thing but also you fought the same dang enemies over and over.. with basically no story to at least keep me wanting to progress to watch that unfold.... It was a huge map with lots of neat looking spots to play around in, problem was thats about all the game consist of. Honestly i love roaming around in something like GTA but for zelda that just isnt my cup of tea, i did end up finishing the game a year after i gave up on it, but it was because i had a deal with my brother to finish it. He thought I'd like it because i used to like Zelda games many many years ago.... kinda funny though he never did finish the game i asked him to! lol

Reactions: ZipMartin

PSXCraver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It really depends on how you define "Give up". If you mean like, never to return? Then, yes, I have a few.

- FF13 (I really couldn't play this game for more than 1 hour and then just really got angry with it. This ruined the FF feeling be far with the awesome graphics or fun factor. It is unlikely, if I, will ever try this version again.)

- Tales Of Destiny (All in all. The game isn't too bad, but I found it too boring and lost interest to keep up. And also, the battle system wasn't exactly for me.)

- Mortal Kombat Mythology Subzero (It was an interesting attempt to create a platformers/fighting style of game for Mortal Kombat. I really liked the idea at first, but then again, after playing and dying so much....lost my touch on it.)

- The Fifth Element (I first tried this game out of sheer boredom one day, and when playing the game. I thought it was okay, but it didn't however give me enough reason to care more than that. The style of gaming for me was...well, strange. I guess.)

- Suikoden III (Don't get me wrong. I love Suikoden franchise games. But, this one in particular was the only one of its kind that really steered me the other way. I don't know, everything about it just wasn't for me. To this day, Suikoden II is my all-time favourite.)

Truthfully, this list can go on and on, though.

If I have more to add, I gladly will some other time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end