Gaming Games that were better on the GBA than on the DS.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now the GBA is more or less dead and more people are starting the process of finding "hidden gems" I was wondering what games were better on the GBA.

Often I find some of the film cash in platformers and the like far better for while the DS versions concentrated on doing 3d badly it seems a couple of others were given the GBA version which then meant tight controls and levels. The best example I can think of off the top of my head would be monster house which pretty much sum up the points in the previous sentence perfectly.

As this is likely to be a fairly short list I will add a game series even going so far as stuff like prince of persia: the GBA platformer may well have been one of the best 2d platformers I have ever played while the DS game (which was a completely unrelated rpg/card game esque thing) was not so good.
Megaman battle network: Misgivings about the fact the same game was remade 6 times on the GBA and my subsequently getting a bit bored them aside I quite liked the DS remake of 5. There was already a discussion of megaman the other week so I would direct you there (I am afraid going to have to search for it, I posted in it if you want to trawl my post history, alas the only others I remember posting there also have several hundred posts at least and multiple posts per day usually).

Over to you guys.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TMNT - DS crap 3D cash in, GBA fun side scrolling beat-em-up.
Spyro: Eternal Night - Shit DS platformer, GBA cool side scrolling melee fighting platformer. Sadly the sequel won't be on the GBA (no surprise) but nor will it be the same as the critically acclaimed GBA title that lots of people loved, instead it'll probably lacklustre.
Spider-Man 3 - DS boring same old DS adventure, GBA nice little platformer which got better later on.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Are we talking single games that were released on both systems or do different titles from the same franchise count? Warioware was a lot, lot better on the GBA than the repetitive touchscreen rubbish the DS got. I know I'm talking about Polarium a lot since I remembered it existed last week, but there was a lot more in the GBA verison than the DS one.

And for some reason I just can't explain, Zoo Keeper feels better on a GBA. Maybe that's just me being weird.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga > Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

The DS one is not bad, but the GBA one was much better and that's what this thread is about.

Chief_Second

Trophies
XP
Country
the one that stands out the most is harvest moon - the ds one had no structure to it.

also final fantasy and splinter cell

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
Pokemon: Fire Red is better than any other Pokemon game on NDS (This new announced silver & gold for NDS could improve everything)..

isn't that a rumor?

but ontopic, I think Mario vs. DK is much better than Mario vs. DK 2. I hate it when games try to force DS functionality
frown.gif

fatfrank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree to some extent with you all. My personal favored example is Mario Kart, i personally think mario kart advanced kicks the sh(beep) out of Mario Kart DS even if it has online multiplayer. Scurge the hive is another good example, the gba version just plain runs better. I still love the DS tho, lots of fun games too
smile.gif

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
fatfrank said:
I agree to some extent with you all. My personal favored example is Mario Kart, i personally think mario kart advanced kicks the sh(beep) out of Mario Kart DS even if it has online multiplayer. Scurge the hive is another good example, the gba version just plain runs better. I still love the DS tho, lots of fun games too
smile.gif

I liked the DS version more, but the GBA had a higher difficulty for me. ( Good thing )

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dragon574444 said:
thebobevil said:
lagman said:
Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga > Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

2nd'd
3rd'd

Also, I loved the MegaMan Battle Network Series, but I can't stand the Starforce Series.

I like both ... but for different reasons ... none of which I can fully explain ...

I also prefer Mazes of Fate on the GBA, to the DS version ...

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimate Spiderman for GBA is good cause the DS version forces you to use the touchscreen on the DS!

Racing games for the DS kick the crap outta the GBA though!

Although not for the DS, The Flash for GBA is good, I still can't beat the boss on like the 3 or so level, been awhile since i've played it.

Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Hour are a heck of alot easier than Metroid Prime Hunters.

Pici

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Metroid fusion and zeoo mission are of obviously easier than metroid prime hunters, but also BETTER.
I don't like 3D metroid that much, the main elements are here but the atmosphere isn't the same at all.
It's more or less the same case for Sonic series, the 2D opus are better than the 3D opus.
Sonic rush and Sonic rush adventure were good surprises on DS y the way, it is a fair 2D/3D game exploiting the ds capatibilites quite well.
smile.gif

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Metroid, GBA vs Metroid DS--thought I've never played Hunters sometimes 2D is just where its at.

Wario Games. (Simply one button on the GBA to play though the DS version is okay too.)

Sonic on GBA was pretty good I felt. I haven't been able to bring myself to risk Sonic on DS. IT might ruin the franchise for me.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Super mario bros 3> NSMB

The difficulty was PRETTY HIGH on the SMB3, but NSMB was too easy. I beat it less than a week, while it took me about a month to finish SMB3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro