Gaming Games on Wii - No (AA) Anti-Aliasing, do jaggies annoy you?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Drop the topic, it serves no purpose other than you ranting at people telling them how much you hate that the wiis graphics and technical power is not as good as other systems.

You are achieving nothing with this topic, and whilst people may agree that the jaggies are a bit annoying at times, they still don't feel it makes it implayable and totally write off a console because of it.

Look, you like graphics, so just go play your PC games, nobody here once asked you to buy a wii, you made that choice, and you were aware what the graphics were like before hand, if you weren't then you should have looked into your purchase a little more carefully. I have been happy with my wii purchase since day one. I sold it at one point when money was low and when I was bored, I got another wii.

Queue the obligatory you having a go at me because I have disagreed with your point just like you have with everybody else on this thread so far.

And are you aware of how gay Uranus Killer sounds? Ur Anus Killer? I hope you intended on that one or, lol

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
UranusKiller said:
Donkey Plonk, How do I sound gay? what makes you say something stupid like that, all iv'e said is the aliasing affects me, me only, and i'm sure many others, no go away gaylord.
Seriously, you really don't get it do you. Thats fuckin brilliant!!!!!!

Your name is Uranus Killer. Uranus is well known to be a bit of a double entoungre for meaning YOUR ANUS.
Therefore Your Anus Killer, if you were to "kill" or "destroy" my anus in the sense that I "destroyed" my mrs c**t last night, would make you homosexual being that I'm a man, I'm assuming you too have a penis?

Do you now see why your name is very gay sounding?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Donkey Plonk said:
UranusKiller said:
Donkey Plonk, How do I sound gay? what makes you say something stupid like that, all iv'e said is the aliasing affects me, me only, and i'm sure many others, no go away gaylord.
Seriously, you really don't get it do you. Thats fuckin brilliant!!!!!!

Your name is Uranus Killer. Uranus is well known to be a bit of a double entoungre for meaning YOUR ANUS.
Therefore Your Anus Killer, if you were to "kill" or "destroy" my anus in the sense that I "destroyed" my mrs c**t last night, would make you homosexual being that I'm a man, I'm assuming you too have a penis?

Do you now see why your name is very gay sounding?
I've just thought back on this.
I just got trolled didn't I LOL
Fair play mate, good shout

kamala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
I dunno there bud, "Donkey" is another word for Ass and "Plonk" can be another term for hitting, poking, inserting etc.

Haha Donkey and Uranus same meaning Tueidj right. Both dumb people.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
I dunno there bud, "Donkey" is another word for Ass and "Plonk" can be another term for hitting, poking, inserting etc.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I just spat food out at that, lol.
Quality mate, guess I never really thought about that one. Just wanted something for a play on Kong, really didn't think that one through

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
UranusKiller said:
[EDIT] Back onto the gameplay vs gfx subject, why do thousands more people play on a Xbox 360 and ps3 than a Wii, just lok at games like COD black ops, on PC on average you get 60,000 people on each time, 360 about 120,000, ps3 about 90,000 and wii about 12,000 and that's just 1 frigging game! So why is this? lol, yes you know why!

Anyone who tries arguing a case regarding gameplay vs graphics wont wash with people like me.

I think the bigger question should be "Why do people play Black Ops?"

The Wii has an inferior online structure, that's why less people play it online. You've gone from arguing "graphics make gameplay" to "quantity > quality". It's just going from bad to worse.

Im playing black ops on my wii because it's the only console I have!

I have a family and wants a console with mario, zelda, metroid, pikmin, kirby, donkey kong.. period

And black ops was release to the wii

so why paying more money to have another console just for black ops??? I know it's not the same 100% games as ps3 and xbox360 but, hey, I have a lot of fun playing black ops online and offline and won't buy another console just to have superiors graphics and more maps!!!

I'm happy with my wii and if I didn't like Jaggies in some games, I didn't play. Period.
I don't come to forums and crying over what everybody know since 2006.

Don't buy it, sell it if you hate it!!

Going to play Black Ops right now and my eyes will bleed.. ... NO!!!!!

The graphics are better than n64 and when I own my n64 my eyes were not crying in 1996

Thanx for reading
smile.gif

And my english sux ahah

Reactions: 1 person

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
I'm not bothered by jagged edges at all. With games like Galaxy, Zelda and Metroid I don't even notice they are there. I just play on and the graphics are more than good enough for me.

I do believe they are much more noticeable on those multiplatform games but I don't really like those mainstream games anyway so meh.

(playing SNES you learn to appreciate those little squares
tongue.gif
)

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I was playing 007 goldeneye on my hd tv with the component cables and sure the nice effects are there but it just looks terrible with all the jagged edges. I remember playing 007 nightfire on the gamecube and seem to remember how smooth the graphics were back in the day. I think i'll compare the two at some point but it must be because the gamecube is on a smaller sd tv

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to necrobump this thread, but I just wanted to share some experienced with you guys concerning this jaggies isseu.

Facts:

CRT TV's have a native resolution of 640x480.
LCD TV's have higer resolutions up 1920x1080.

For both tv's it's always best to have you input resolution match the the higest resolution your tv supports.
This way there will be no scaling going on.For crt tv's this less of a problem as the do no internal scaling. When inputting a different resolution than 640x480 they will give a different picture tough, but I'll get to that later.

The best way to get a picture from a wii on both mediums is by using:
Wii to CRT > RGB scart-480i
Wii to LCD > Component-480p

When you connect your wii to a hd panel, your tv has to magnify the 640x480 output of the to fit into your 1920x1080 screen.
Your tv does this by something called scaling. In essence this means your tv will double every other line. This would idealy mean thickening every line at a factor 1.25.
Most tv neglect the .25 by leaving the third line of the signal out. High end scaling devices will be able to double every line, by the right factor, resulting in a better picture.
On a lcd tv you will difference in for example a 240p input signal ( retro consoles etc ), now the tv has to scretch your image even more to get the screen filled, this ill result in blocky graphics, fdull squares.
This all has to do with de-interlacing and scaling. These are the jaggies people are experiencing when playing wii on an lcd tv.
2d retro games with an output of 240p will look horrible do to the lcd tv processor trying to make up the missing lines by doubling every line.
The wii signal also has to be doubled to match the tv's screen. resulting in blocks/jaggies.

NOW

When you connect your wii to a quality CRT TV via RGB scart, YOU WILL HAVE A PERFECT PICTURE.
No jaggies, fluid movement without ANY smudging, crystal sharp edges. Only due to the fact that your are matching the native resolution of the wii to your tv.
NOW when trying to play a snes, nes, genesis etc game on these tv's you can enjoy scanlines also.Just like you know them from the arcade.
This is due to howe crt monitors work, when your input has a ower resolution than 640x480, ( 240p for instance ) it will make up the picture by blacking out those lines.
This results in a low res PINCH sharp picture without any bleed or jaggies. Remeber those game where developed with these scanlines in mind.
Colors get better,etc artwork is shown how it''s suppose to show.
Just a sidenote, in order to experience this, you should avoid nintendo's own virtual console games, as the are displayed at wii'native resolution. You will not get scanline with those games.
In order to get those pixel perfect scanline images, use one om the many emulators available on wii.
Choose to display the games in their original resolution ( 240p ) or use a option called double strike ( mednafenwii ).
Really this is very important to know, this is the way to have the best picture from wii.

RESUMÉ
Use a quality crt tv with RGB scart inputs, connect your wii to that tv using a RGB scart lead.
For retro gaming on wii, use a emulator that supports outputting original resolution.
This will result in a pinch sharp picture without artificial jaggies.

If you really want to use your wii with a Platpanel but you do not like the jaggies, make sure your tv has a dsub15 connection.
Get a scaler and a slg 3000. Perfect picture but, the crt will still be a lot better.

It's just a classic new tech vs old tech problem.
Try hooking your N64 or PS1 to your flatpanel, same problem.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo's VC games do not use 480i by default, they use 240p for NES and SNES and there is a key combo involving the nunchuk to switch them to 480i.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To clarify, CRTs do not have a native resolution in the same sense as fixed-pixel displays like LCDs and plasma sets. Rather, effective resolution on CRTs is limited by dot pitch and other factors. I agree that Wii and older gaming systems do look best on CRT.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I play my Wii on a 37 inch flatscreen in 480p (using the Nyko component cable). The jaggies are usually at least somewhat noticeable, but the only game where it's really bothered me is in Zelda: Skyward Sword. Seriously, Links face is often little more than a jumble of different-colored pixels. -_-

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind jaggies so much; especially on a CRT. Some sane electronics company needs to recognize the need for a true gaming display with sub one frame lag, that allows the blurry filtering to be turned off, and features optional scanlines for SD resolution content.
I really wish SED had made it to market; it would have been like a CRT with an micro electron gun for each pixel. Maybe OLED will rescue display technology from mediocrity, or maybe Nintendo could have Sharp make a TV for them that's as fast as their handheld screens, and features multi-position glasses-free 3D tech. I know, I'm dreaming, but these are good dreams. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: