Gaming Games like Soma Bringer

Creqaw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I just finished Soma Bringer and I really liked it. Are there more games like this?
I'm specifically referring to dungeons with a map and a checkpoint like thing right before a boss fight. RPGs I try tend to have one or the other but never both.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You could try

--Tales of Innocence. This game usually has a save point either half-way through the dungeon or right before the boss if the dungeon is smaller. I forget if it has a map function other than the overworld map, though...
--Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Not an action-RPG, but it does have nice dungeons with maps. There aren't any checkpoints, but you can save at any point in time and pick up exactly where you left off. And I mean exactly. You don't load the game and end up back at the beginning of the dungeon. You end up at the exact spot you saved at last.
--Final Fantasy Crysal Chronicles: Echoes of Time. It has big sprawling dungeons with nice maps to refer to if you get lost... AND you get to save in the room just before the boss, or in a room near where the boss is. And yes, this is an RPG, since you get level ups and stat upgrades and have different armor/weapons you can equip.

If I think of any more, I'll edit them into this post, but right now I'm kind of busy.

Creqaw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sora de Eclaune said:
You could try

--Tales of Innocence. This game usually has a save point either half-way through the dungeon or right before the boss if the dungeon is smaller. I forget if it has a map function other than the overworld map, though...
--Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Not an action-RPG, but it does have nice dungeons with maps. There aren't any checkpoints, but you can save at any point in time and pick up exactly where you left off. And I mean exactly. You don't load the game and end up back at the beginning of the dungeon. You end up at the exact spot you saved at last.
--Final Fantasy Crysal Chronicles: Echoes of Time. It has big sprawling dungeons with nice maps to refer to if you get lost... AND you get to save in the room just before the boss, or in a room near where the boss is. And yes, this is an RPG, since you get level ups and stat upgrades and have different armor/weapons you can equip.

If I think of any more, I'll edit them into this post, but right now I'm kind of busy.
I actually considered ToI but right when I wanted to start I read rants about how the game has no maps. I already played Golden Sun and FF, well I always assumed it was overrated crap so I never checked it but I'll check this.
I'll also check Avalon Code.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Django0 said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
You could try

I actually considered ToI but right when I wanted to start I read rants about how the game has no maps. I already played Golden Sun and FF, well I always assumed it was overrated crap so I never checked it but I'll check this.
Well, you don't actually need maps in Tales of Innocence. It's not that complicated to figure out how to get in and out of dungeons. Most of the time, you just need to find your way to the boss and then you're automatically out.

Creqaw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sora de Eclaune said:
Django0 said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
You could try

Well, you don't actually need maps in Tales of Innocence. It's not that complicated to figure out how to get in and out of dungeons. Most of the time, you just need to find your way to the boss and then you're automatically out.
Hm, if you say so, I also found out that it was translated, if a game is good enough to be translated, it can't be bad therefore I'll try it. I also decided to try Avalon Code.
QUOTE(InuYasha @ Jun 5 2011, 07:50 PM)
Phantasy Star Zero
Lunar Knights
From the Abyss
PS0, it looks ridiculously awesome.
LK, played.
From the Abyss, doesn't seem good.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, the dungeon crawling games have maps but they are your typical-turn based RPGs (like SMT: Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey I-III and Dark Spire).

Maybe you could try out Children of Mana? Or Summon Knight: Twin Age.
smile.gif
The latter has a map definitively and both are action RPGs.

Creqaw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fyrus said:
Fel said:
Summon Night: Twin Age.
Fixed and agreeing on Summon Night : Twin Age, it's a lot closer to Soma Bringer, except in 2D Bird view style, à la Zelda.
I might try that. I found out that I really dislike PS0, it looks good but battling is so damnt annoying with the random camera movements.

Hi everyone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Cross Treasures is a clone of Soma Bringer, but better. the controls are 'tighter', the graphics and sounds are top-notch and you can fully customize your character. pretty wicked if you ask me.

Lufia is really nice too, it's a remake of Lufia 2, but in ARPG style instead of traditional RPG. deffo worth checking out.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know these aren't on DS, but if you have a PS2 you should definitely consider the Shining Spin-off games.. Like "Shining Force Neo", or "Shining Force EXA", etc...

..I think they're exactly what you're looking for - since they're dungeon crawlers with checkpoints, a central base you can return to, a decent-ish story, fairly deep character customization, etc...

The only thing is that they're slightly too easy, but I found Soma Bringer a bit too easy as well to be honest.

Sorry, I don't usually suggest games on a different console.... And if you don't have a ps2, just ignore me completely
tongue.gif

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Django0 said:
I already played Golden Sun and FF, well I always assumed it was overrated crap so I never checked it but I'll check this.

FF: Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time and Rings of Fate are both wonderful games of the same-ish genre as Soma Bringer. If you're going by the Final Fantasy name, yes, the series is overrated, but both of those games are great efforts.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Django0 said:
So none of the games mentioned here managed to interest me, I played all of them for an hour and deleted them.
You could always grab a PSP and try YS Seven.

Have you tried ToI yet? Becasue even i recommend it. (I know its been mentioned)
Children of Mana is worth a try too.
DSIware Zenonia or if you have iPhone or PSP grab it there instead.
KH series
Steal Princess (A lol game xD)
If you want some retro instead try YS book 1&2
Most of the game that is similar to Soma Bringer is already mentioned.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you liked Soma Bringer and none of the DS games we suggested were to your liking, then there's one solution - play Diablo. When I first played SB, I noticed how it was exactly the same except for the visuals, storyline and ability to switch AP points, otherwise the gameplay is exactly the same. And yes, it's for the PC though.
biggrin.gif

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fel said:
If you liked Soma Bringer and none of the DS games we suggested were to your liking, then there's one solution - play Diablo. When I first played SB, I noticed how it was exactly the same except for the visuals, storyline and ability to switch AP points, otherwise the gameplay is exactly the same. And yes, it's for the PC though.
biggrin.gif
same here.... when I first played SB, Diablo II come inmediatelly to my mind

Try Diablo II... or wait for DiabloIII

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.