Games like Soma Bringer

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Creqaw, Jun 5, 2011.

Jun 5, 2011

Games like Soma Bringer by Creqaw at 7:26 PM (3,843 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Creqaw
    OP

Member Creqaw GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    So I just finished Soma Bringer and I really liked it. Are there more games like this?
    I'm specifically referring to dungeons with a map and a checkpoint like thing right before a boss fight. RPGs I try tend to have one or the other but never both.

2. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    You could try

--Tales of Innocence. This game usually has a save point either half-way through the dungeon or right before the boss if the dungeon is smaller. I forget if it has a map function other than the overworld map, though...
    --Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Not an action-RPG, but it does have nice dungeons with maps. There aren't any checkpoints, but you can save at any point in time and pick up exactly where you left off. And I mean exactly. You don't load the game and end up back at the beginning of the dungeon. You end up at the exact spot you saved at last.
    --Final Fantasy Crysal Chronicles: Echoes of Time. It has big sprawling dungeons with nice maps to refer to if you get lost... AND you get to save in the room just before the boss, or in a room near where the boss is. And yes, this is an RPG, since you get level ups and stat upgrades and have different armor/weapons you can equip.

If I think of any more, I'll edit them into this post, but right now I'm kind of busy.

3. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    You could also try Avalon Code, which has dungeons and bosses along the way, although you can save anywhere and the dungeon rooms are more akin to puzzles

4. Creqaw
    OP

Netherlands
    I actually considered ToI but right when I wanted to start I read rants about how the game has no maps. I already played Golden Sun and FF, well I always assumed it was overrated crap so I never checked it but I'll check this.
    I'll also check Avalon Code.

5. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Well, you don't actually need maps in Tales of Innocence. It's not that complicated to figure out how to get in and out of dungeons. Most of the time, you just need to find your way to the boss and then you're automatically out.

6. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Phantasy Star Zero
    Lunar Knights
    From the Abyss

7. Creqaw
    OP

Netherlands
    PS0, it looks ridiculously awesome.
    LK, played.
    From the Abyss, doesn't seem good.

8. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    Well, the dungeon crawling games have maps but they are your typical-turn based RPGs (like SMT: Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey I-III and Dark Spire).

Maybe you could try out Children of Mana? Or Summon Knight: Twin Age. [​IMG] The latter has a map definitively and both are action RPGs.

9. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    Fixed and agreeing on Summon Night : Twin Age, it's a lot closer to Soma Bringer, except in 2D Bird view style, à la Zelda.

10. Creqaw
    OP

Netherlands
    I might try that. I found out that I really dislike PS0, it looks good but battling is so damnt annoying with the random camera movements.

11. Hi everyone

Banned Hi everyone Banned

Vanuatu
    Cross Treasures is a clone of Soma Bringer, but better. the controls are 'tighter', the graphics and sounds are top-notch and you can fully customize your character. pretty wicked if you ask me.

Lufia is really nice too, it's a remake of Lufia 2, but in ARPG style instead of traditional RPG. deffo worth checking out.

12. suruz

Member suruz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I know these aren't on DS, but if you have a PS2 you should definitely consider the Shining Spin-off games.. Like "Shining Force Neo", or "Shining Force EXA", etc...

..I think they're exactly what you're looking for - since they're dungeon crawlers with checkpoints, a central base you can return to, a decent-ish story, fairly deep character customization, etc...

The only thing is that they're slightly too easy, but I found Soma Bringer a bit too easy as well to be honest.

Sorry, I don't usually suggest games on a different console.... And if you don't have a ps2, just ignore me completely [​IMG]

13. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    FF: Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time and Rings of Fate are both wonderful games of the same-ish genre as Soma Bringer. If you're going by the Final Fantasy name, yes, the series is overrated, but both of those games are great efforts.

14. Creqaw
    OP

Netherlands
    So none of the games mentioned here managed to interest me, I played all of them for an hour and deleted them.

15. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    You could always grab a PSP and try YS Seven.

Have you tried ToI yet? Becasue even i recommend it. (I know its been mentioned)
    Children of Mana is worth a try too.
    DSIware Zenonia or if you have iPhone or PSP grab it there instead.
    KH series
    Steal Princess (A lol game xD)
    If you want some retro instead try YS book 1&2
    Most of the game that is similar to Soma Bringer is already mentioned.

16. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    If you liked Soma Bringer and none of the DS games we suggested were to your liking, then there's one solution - play Diablo. When I first played SB, I noticed how it was exactly the same except for the visuals, storyline and ability to switch AP points, otherwise the gameplay is exactly the same. And yes, it's for the PC though. [​IMG]

17. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    same here.... when I first played SB, Diablo II come inmediatelly to my mind

Try Diablo II... or wait for DiabloIII