Gamergate: Which games have you played Which had great reviews made you think "WTF is this"

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA series. Never really liked it and i don't understand how people can spend hours on such games that are boring as fuck.
Also the Persona Series.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the nomination for Skyward Sword. It was praised as the best Zelda ever, and I just couldn't get through it. Even if older Zelda titles were linear beforehand, they didn't feel nearly as linear and boring as Skyward Sword did. At least they made an effort to give the illusion of an open world to explore whereas in Skyward Sword, they became so focused on it correctly reading the small handful of sword swinging movements (which got repetitive more than immersive fairly quickly), it felt like everything else of importance just kind of fell to the side.

I also agree with all GTA games. This isn't even just a case of an open world with too much to do. There is just a lot to do, and all of it is relatively the same and blah. The story usually isn't anything to write home about either, making completing all of the story missions feel more like a chore than fun.

Recent Pokemon is pretty poor despite review scores as well. Screw X and Y. They were a rush job to push 3DS sales, and I feel like a sack of crap for participating in buying this title where they spent more time on graphics than content (where the graphics still suffered from issues where 3D is concerned).

Mario games. Each new installment can get all of the good review scores it wants. Nothing will change the fact that the Mario platforming formula has gotten really dry and stale, especially when they end up in the cycle they were somewhat recently when they released the same style of Mario game repeatedly even across consoles, just adding to the blah feelings.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Skyrim and Persona 3 are the first ones to come to mind. No real reason but I found both of them rather blegh.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Smash Bros Melee

this

I tried all of them. but I just cannot cannnot like any of them. but again, I always play alone, it might be fun if I play it on real console with friends, but I just don't have anyone to play with at the moment.

for me. Resident evil 4 and 5. they are terrible. Mass effect 2 is hyper terrible. I really hate that game and next time I will kill all the casts except garrus and tali.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread isn't really about game journalism or Gamergate anymore. We all have a different opinion on what games are good and what games aren't. Personally, I loved the first Kingdom Hearts with it's great combat system and awesome boss battles. The story and characters do kind of suck though. As for CoD, I enjoyed it when I first played them, and still jump into CoD4 from time to time, but it has been overdone to a point that I don't look forward to them anymore.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This thread isn't really about game journalism or Gamergate anymore. We all have a different opinion on what games are good and what games aren't. Personally, I loved the first Kingdom Hearts with it's great combat system and awesome boss battles. The story and characters do kind of suck though. As for CoD, I enjoyed it when I first played them, and still jump into CoD4 from time to time, but it has been overdone to a point that I don't look forward to them anymore.
I'll agree to the extent that the combat in Kingdom Hearts is very enjoyable. Aside from that though, the whole premise is stupid, the characters are broody and the story is blerght, as it is the case with most modern Final Fantasies and their derrivatives.

As for Call of Duty, those games are a lot of fun, they have genuinely good game mechanics and people who complain about them think their tastes "oh so much more elaborate" simply because they like niche games instead. There's millions of gamers all around the world who love the series for what it is, calling it sh*t and playing Minecraft instead doesn't make anyone a special snowflake, it's just being a contrarian, and one of many on the CoD Hate Train. Call of Duty is what it is - a game about shooting other players in the face. As long as it pulls that off in an entertaining fashion, it succeeds at its primary objective.

Reactions: Catastrophic

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
As for Call of Duty, those games are a lot of fun, they have genuinely good game mechanics and people who complain about them think they're "oh so much better" simply because they like niche games. There's millions of gamers all around the world who love the series for what it is, calling it sh*t and playing Minecraft instead doesn't make anyone a special snowflake, it's just being a contrarian, and one of many on the CoD Hate Train.

CoD games.. sorry i have to break the news for you are the same thing with a new coat of paint. So FIFA games are the best thing since the wheel? cause you know they at least try something new.. ;O;

Reactions: Nightwish

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll agree to the extent that the combat in Kingdom Hearts is very enjoyable. Aside from that though, the whole premise is stupid, the characters are broody and the story is blerght, as it is the case with most modern Final Fantasies and their derrivatives.

As for Call of Duty, those games are a lot of fun, they have genuinely good game mechanics and people who complain about them think their tastes "oh so much more elaborate" simply because they like niche games instead. There's millions of gamers all around the world who love the series for what it is, calling it sh*t and playing Minecraft instead doesn't make anyone a special snowflake, it's just being a contrarian, and one of many on the CoD Hate Train. Call of Duty is what it is - a game about shooting other players in the face. As long as it pulls that off in an entertaining fashion, it succeeds at its primary objective.

I do think CoD has great controls and mechanics. That's why I still play them from time to time, but games do eventually get boring if played over and over again and that's where CoD dropped the ball for me. When I play a new CoD game the boredom of the previous game carries over to the new one because it's so similar. Advanced Warfare shows some promise, seeing how it's developed by Sledgehammer.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
CoD games.. sorry i have to break the news for you are the same thing with a new coat of paint. So FIFA games are the best thing since the wheel? cause you know they at least try something new.. ;O;
Excuse me sir, what would you like to change in Call of Duty, exactly? Every single iteration has a whole new campaign, a whole new set of multiplayer maps, new killstreaks and new weapons. The formula stays the same, but that doesn't make the games bad if the formula is good. You could push the exact same argument with Pokemon games, and yet those are gobbled up by the fans.
I do think CoD has great controls and mechanics. That's why I still play them from time to time, but games do eventually get boring if played over and over again and that's where CoD dropped the ball for me. When I play a new CoD game the boredom of the previous game carries over to the new one because it's so similar. Advanced Warfare shows some promise, seeing how it's developed by Sledgehammer.
I'm excited for Advanced Warfare because of three things - jetpacks, lasers and rail guns. If there's one thing that can shake things up in a shooter and change how the game is played, it's definitely jetpacks. No matter how you look at it, jetpacks are just awesome and improve everything they're added to with no exceptions. Now Call of Duty just has to include vehicular combat and it'll be the perfect multiplayer shooter. Oh wait, Battlefield already has vehicular combat... No jetpacks though. :tpi:

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this

I tried all of them. but I just cannot cannnot like any of them. but again, I always play alone, it might be fun if I play it on real console with friends, but I just don't have anyone to play with at the moment.

for me. Resident evil 4 and 5. they are terrible. Mass effect 2 is hyper terrible. I really hate that game and next time I will kill all the casts except garrus and tali.
Yeah, Smash is pretty much only fun with friends. That's what it's meant for.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Excuse me sir, what would you like to change in Call of Duty, exactly? Every single iteration has a whole new campaign, a whole new set of multiplayer maps, new killstreaks and new weapons. The formula stays the same, but that doesn't make the games bad if the formula is good. You could push the exact same argument with Pokemon games, and yet those are gobbled up by the fans.

a story which makes you go wow which will go with the gameplay.

as for Pokemon.. it has that thing that just makes it what it is... which is so good which doesn't even need a story.

Reactions: Nightwish

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm excited for Advanced Warfare because of three things - jetpacks, lasers and rail guns. If there's one thing that can shake things up in a shooter and change how the game is played, it's definitely jetpacks. No matter how you look at it, jetpacks are just awesome and improve everything they're added to with no exceptions. Now Call of Duty just has to include vehicular combat and it'll be the perfect multiplayer shooter. Oh wait, Battlefield already has vehicular combat... No jetpacks though. :tpi:

I just hope they use the scorestreak system from Black Ops II. It was pretty much the only balanced streak system of any CoD game in my opinion.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
a story which makes you go wow which will go with the gameplay. As for Pokemon.. it has that thing that just makes it what it is... which is so good which doesn't even need a story.
See, you've just shot yourself in the balls with both barrels. You expect an FPS which is predominantly played for its multiplayer component to have a long and engaging story, but Pokemon, a game which people like to pretend is a proper RPG, is exempted from that rule for whatever reason and gets a pass, even though it's practically the same every single time with slight variations. Good job Flame, you get a star for your debating skills. ;O;
I just hope they use the scorestreak system from Black Ops II. It was pretty much the only balanced streak system of any CoD game in my opinion.
I hope it'll be fun. My streaks are never high enough to reach enjoyable levels, my "staying alive" skill is rubbish. :P

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
See, you've just shot yourself in the balls with both barrels. You expect an FPS which is predominantly played for its multiplayer component to have a long and engaging story, but Pokemon, a game which people pretend is an RPG, is exempted from that rule for whatever reason and gets a pass, even though it's practically the same every single time with slight variations. Good job Flame, you get a star for your debating skills. ;O;

soooooo what you trying to say is.. pokemon is so good even as a RPG it doesn't need a story. it has every thing a ROLE PLAYING game should where you role play.

I hardly buy games for "multiplayer component" if i want to get laid ill go to a club. ;O;

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
soooooo what you trying to say is.. pokemon is so good even as a RPG it doesn't need a story. it has every thing a ROLE PLAYING game should where you role play.
That's the thing - it doesn't. You don't ever role play in Pokemon games - you assume a pre-existing role and have zero impact on your character (I hazard to use the word "character" in the context of Pokemon, seeing that the playable characters display about as much character as a wooden plank) or the surrounding world. This is a problem with most JRPG's and JRPG derrivatives - they don't let you role play anymore these days, they're just trying to tell you a story, which almost makes me think that perhaps the whole Japanese RPG industry should switch to making movies.
I hardly buy games for "multiplayer component" if i want to get laid ill go to a club. ;O;
That's all cute and dandy, but it doesn't make Call of Duty a bad series. As I said, they have a single player component if you're interested in that, they're just not built around it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

no, he's saying that's what you're saying and that none of it makes sense.

Reactions: Flame and Foxi4

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite both win the category of both most pointless and convoluted fan-pandering story and narrative.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1