Gamekult Rumour: Michel Ancel may leave Ubisoft after Rayman Legends

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,781
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted_171835

OP
"Two delays and the loss of temporary exclusivity for Rayman Legends on Wii U might have pissed off players, but it's also causing quite a stir at Ubisoft Montpellier.

Based on several sources, Michel Ancel might be thinking of leaving Ubisoft with his own team once Legends is finished, and start a new project with other people (different company?). He talks about wanting more liberty in creating and organizing his project. This is not the first time Ancel has spoken of leaving, but so far he's always stayed with Ubi.

Development of Rayman Legends is pretty much over, even though there is some work left to do on the PS3 and X360 versions. Ancel would like to calmly leave Ubisoft, taking some people with him. If it should happen, it wouldn't be a crying affair. Ubi is aware, and they might choose to be involved in Ancel's next project either way, even if he chooses to leave, as per an anonymous developer. Another source says Ancel has already given notice he is leaving, as he has other contacts and projects he'd like to work on. Five or six Montpellier personnel would be ready to leave with him. The idea is that Ancel would remain "tied to Rayman", whatever happens.

This might explain in part the further delay and the premature announcement of the Rayman Legends port to other platform. With Ancel possibly on his way out, he would have less motivation to contest the decision to port, as he is already looking to greener pastures. Several sources state Ubi and Nintendo were unable to come to an agreement on distribution and marketing of Legends, which was a reason for the port to PS3 / X360.

Ubisoft and Ancel categorically deny these rumours. We probably won't know much more until a couple more months, unless more sources start spilling the beans."

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/michel-ancel-pourrait-quitter-ubisoft-A107463.html

If this is true, I can't really blame him. Ubisoft has been treating the devs like shit throughout this Rayman Legends debacle.

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It seems the February release CAncel hit him in a ubisoft spot.
Seriously though, wouldn't really blame him, what Ubisoft did to the workers was pretty unfair.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously, you all suck at puns, so stay on topic.

Anyway, I hope he pulls the whole studio with him, they are a good team who have done some great work, and their skills would be better harnessed making a game for a publisher and a platform that gives them creative freedom.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just let Gahars do the puns because you lot are just weak as piss at it.

Not sure if this will be a blow for Ubiosft, while Ancel has done some of the best games for them...they've not really sold as well. I'd like to see him leave personally so he has freedom to do what he likes but at the same time this does mean that Ubisoft would probably get some hack to do Rayman or Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Also King Kong for GC/PS2/Xbox/360 was an extremely well made game.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, you all suck at puns, so stay on topic.

Anyway, I hope he pulls the whole studio with him, they are a good team who have done some great work, and their skills would be better harnessed making a game for a publisher and a platform that gives them creative freedom.

I think Ubisoft gave them a lot of creative freedom for actually greenlighting Rayman Origins and, even more so, greenlighting its sequel. I mean Ubisoft could just cut those games and focus on their million-selling games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry but they still invest in smaller, less successful-but-critically acclaimed games like Rayman and even giving the go ahead for Beyond Good and Evil 2 (which is in a bit of a limbo but that's because the team went to work on Rayman Origins).

Reactions: Gahars

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just let Gahars do the puns because you lot are just weak as piss at it.

Not sure if this will be a blow for Ubiosft, while Ancel has done some of the best games for them...they've not really sold as well. I'd like to see him leave personally so he has freedom to do what he likes but at the same time this does mean that Ubisoft would probably get some hack to do Rayman or Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Also King Kong for GC/PS2/Xbox/360 was an extremely well made game.

Totally underappreciated game, finished it - and still never seen the Peter Jackson movie lol

And I was gonna Like Gahars pun post until I saw the monsters he created haha

Reactions: Gahars

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Ubisoft gave them a lot of creative freedom for actually greenlighting Rayman Origins and, even more so, greenlighting its sequel. I mean Ubisoft could just cut those games and focus on their million-selling games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry but they still invest in smaller, less successful-but-critically acclaimed games like Rayman and even giving the go ahead for Beyond Good and Evil 2 (which is in a bit of a limbo but that's because the team went to work on Rayman Origins).

But Rayman needed a good quality reboot, it's a very popular series and was in need of some serious overhauling in order to get it to sell. The fact that Origins, which was an extremely well made game (albeit frustrating at times), came out for so many platforms shows just how much exposure it needed to regenerate interest in the franchise. Really, we hadn't seen a good Rayman game in quite some time prior to Origins. Now we are seeing the game brought back to life in the traditional side scrolling format which I think was done out of necessity rather then making it playable on every platform on the market because I think a 3D Rayman game would have probably flopped hard in terms of reviews and sales.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm on the seefood diet... So far I've gained 30 pounds