COMPLETED GameCube and Wii Emulation on Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by dkotu, Sep 20, 2019.

1. dkotu
    OP

dkotu Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2019
    United States
    September 15th 2019, 9:52PM ~dkotu
    Here's a major breakthrough. I discovered true, completely portable/mobile GameCube and Wii emulation on the Nintendo Switch. No wires or casting required. I've had this idea for a bit now, but was finally was able to put it together and test it.
    First I installed SwitchRoot through Lineage OS. 16GB Storage Size using the Nano(I believe the smallest in size) Option. Normally, I installed Magisk but did not Shieldify my SwitchDroid at all. No matter how you set up your SwitchDroid I'm sure this will work. I installed an older version of Dolphin (GameCube/Wii) Emulator (Version 5.0-7004) through APK. It's the latest version that can be used on the Galaxy S7 Edge (my cellphone) to play at full speed. I connected a variety of controllers (Joy-Cons, PS4 controller) through the Android Bluetooth settings and set up both Touch and Bluetooth controls on Dolphin. Touch and Joy-Con controls worked, but the PS4 controller proved best. Most GameCube and Wii Games are all working and just about flawless in speed. I've tested a bunch of controllers and games already.
    My Settings for Dolphin:
    CPU Core- JIT ARM64 Recompiler
    Dual Core- Checked
    Override Emulated CPU Clock Speed- Checked
    Video Backend- Vulcan
    Aspect Ratio- Force 16/9
    I've had no issues with these games:
    GC-
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Pac-Man World 2
    Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Wii-
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Mario Party 9
    I haven't run into a game that doesn't work or is unplayable yet. I'd like to see how far this goes and how well GC/Wii emulation can run on Switch.
    I've included a video of gameplay.

2. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 29, 2016
    60fps? Or GTFO :)

3. dkotu
    OP

dkotu Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2019
    United States
    Yes it is 60 FPS.

4. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    Have you tried the MMJ builds of Dolphin from Weihouya? Those seem to run faster on weaker Arm hardware, probably some optimisations from that will make dolphin games run a bit smoother but I wouldn't count on it running near flawlessly, my OnePlus 6 ran wind waker pretty close to flawless but not perfect emulation maybe the switch can get to playable speeds with it.

5. TheSpearGuy

TheSpearGuy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    this has to get more attention
    AWSOME:bow:

6. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    I've been meaning to give this a try on switch root with the new build from Weihouya released. However as far as i know switchroot still doesn't have analog working properly. It still functions as a dpad. This would make many games a pain to navigate. Especially since i mainly only want to play Mario sunshine.

7. TheSpearGuy

TheSpearGuy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Isn´t there a patch for JoyCon analog sticks ?
    And you can use other controllers like Switch Pro or ps4 etc...

8. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    At first the joycons just wasn't detected at all. The patch makes the joycons usable but the sticks functions as a dpad not analog.

9. TimeDevouncer

TimeDevouncer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2018
    Spain
    Can you try this (and record :P) with FZero GX, Punch-Out and Galaxy 2, please?

Last edited by TimeDevouncer, Oct 3, 2019
  10. Dutt

Dutt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Australia
    DS4 controller works perfect as analog.. JoyCons sticks work as Dpad. its weird and some buttons are swapped around comparing DS4 and Joycons.

11. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Does Wii sports bowling and Dolphin bar work (if joycon motion doesn’t work) 60fps?

12. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Can you test Tony hawk 4 for GC?

13. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Addict

Aug 23, 2013
    should change the title to say its android or linux. i got excited thinking this was o switch os.......

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted