Homebrew COMPLETED GameCube and Wii Emulation on Switch

dkotu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
September 15th 2019, 9:52PM ~dkotu
Here's a major breakthrough. I discovered true, completely portable/mobile GameCube and Wii emulation on the Nintendo Switch. No wires or casting required. I've had this idea for a bit now, but was finally was able to put it together and test it.
First I installed SwitchRoot through Lineage OS. 16GB Storage Size using the Nano(I believe the smallest in size) Option. Normally, I installed Magisk but did not Shieldify my SwitchDroid at all. No matter how you set up your SwitchDroid I'm sure this will work. I installed an older version of Dolphin (GameCube/Wii) Emulator (Version 5.0-7004) through APK. It's the latest version that can be used on the Galaxy S7 Edge (my cellphone) to play at full speed. I connected a variety of controllers (Joy-Cons, PS4 controller) through the Android Bluetooth settings and set up both Touch and Bluetooth controls on Dolphin. Touch and Joy-Con controls worked, but the PS4 controller proved best. Most GameCube and Wii Games are all working and just about flawless in speed. I've tested a bunch of controllers and games already.
My Settings for Dolphin:
CPU Core- JIT ARM64 Recompiler
Dual Core- Checked
Override Emulated CPU Clock Speed- Checked
Video Backend- Vulcan
Aspect Ratio- Force 16/9
I've had no issues with these games:
GC-
Mario Kart Double Dash
Pac-Man World 2
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii-
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Party 9
I haven't run into a game that doesn't work or is unplayable yet. I'd like to see how far this goes and how well GC/Wii emulation can run on Switch.
I've included a video of gameplay.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried the MMJ builds of Dolphin from Weihouya? Those seem to run faster on weaker Arm hardware, probably some optimisations from that will make dolphin games run a bit smoother but I wouldn't count on it running near flawlessly, my OnePlus 6 ran wind waker pretty close to flawless but not perfect emulation maybe the switch can get to playable speeds with it.

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been meaning to give this a try on switch root with the new build from Weihouya released. However as far as i know switchroot still doesn't have analog working properly. It still functions as a dpad. This would make many games a pain to navigate. Especially since i mainly only want to play Mario sunshine.

Reactions: Milad

TheSpearGuy

can probably play it on Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been meaning to give this a try on switch root with the new build from Weihouya released. However as far as i know switchroot still doesn't have analog working properly. It still functions as a dpad. This would make many games a pain to navigate. Especially since i mainly only want to play Mario sunshine.
Isn´t there a patch for JoyCon analog sticks ?
And you can use other controllers like Switch Pro or ps4 etc...

Dutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DS4 controller works perfect as analog.. JoyCons sticks work as Dpad. its weird and some buttons are swapped around comparing DS4 and Joycons.

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came back to this thread to finally flash android and try it out and the performance of this build isnt any better than the latest MMJ builds. I get the same FPS, in fact Bully on the wii crashed on me in 7004 and there's other glitches that are fixed in MMJ. Here is my results latest MMJ build with 1x resolution and default mmj settings like skip efb. The games seem to play a lot better than the fps number

Gamecube-
-Super Mario Sunshine- 30fps Very Stable 5/5
-Kelly Slater Pro Surfer- 50fps Stable Needs uncheck skip efb 5/5
-Wave Race Bluestorm- 30fps Very Stable 5/5
-Simpsons Hit and Run- 38fps with minor slowdown very playable 4.3/5
-Chibi-Robo! Plug into Adventure!- 19fps just a bit too slow but playable with low standard 3.5/5
-SSX on Tour- 30fps stable but will lag randomly and catch up, happens frequently. Seems like a texture loading issue 2.8/5
Super Mario Baseball- 58-60fps Very Stable 5/5

Wii-
Bully Scholarship Edition-18-24fps Almost playable but the sound shudders 3.5/5
Mario Galaxy- +-38fps Playable a bit slow 4/5
Super Paper Mario - 25-38fps+ Seems full speed despite number slows down a bit flipping to 3D and with enemies 4.5/5

I also tried DamonPS2 1.2.1 cracked pro version(joycon supported/no ads).
Ico- "Playable" speed but player invisable
Ridge Racer V - 5-8fps unplayable
Bully- 20fps choppy Texture glitches unplayable
Futurama- 30fps ingame choppy unplayable

Hopefully Dolphin gets a Horizon port because it defiantly worth it.I hear Dolphin has low level POSIX features or something that the Horizon kernal will never handle though. Starting up android on my switch is a bit of a pain and defeats the purpose. The Switch android joycon support is just awful too, I still cant get my joystick working even as dpad with the joyconfix.zip flashed and everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.