Game Freak trademarks "Armored Mewtwo", causing rumor speculation

220px-Mewtwo_in_armor.png

Shortly before the reveal of Pokemon Sword and Shield, a rumor began to make waves. A so-called anonymous "leak" correctly guessed the names of the then unannounced games, as well as the region being based off Great Britain. The post also mentioned that "Armored Evolutions" would be a new feature in the latest Pokemon games, with Charizard, Flygon, Zeraora, and Mewtwo all getting a new Armored form. If that wasn't all, Game Freak filed for a trademark back in February, which has now been revealed to be for "Armored Mewtwo". That doesn't solidify the rumor/leak, however; the first Pokemon movie is being remade this year. In the original film, Mewtwo is shown to be wearing armor, which could lead to the trademark existing for movie or trading card merchandising.

What do you think? Do you believe that the leak is real, or do you think that it's just Game Freak making sure their bases are covered when it comes to products for the upcoming Mewtwo movie? It could be entirely possible that Armored Evolution is this generation's Z Moves or Mega Evolution. On the other hand, it could all just be a massive coincidence. We won't know for sure until Pokemon Sword and Shield launch later this year, for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean, it makes sense if they're going with the obvious theme: Sword, Shield, Armor. Hot damn that is one slick fuckin' armor set on Mewtwo, if that's in the game then one of my team slots is 100% locked down already, sorry new 'Mons. :D

Mega Flygon confirmed?
Not sure if this is an activated thing like Mega Evolutions or a permanent thing for certain Pokemon like standard evolutions. Steel dual-typing again seems like the obvious choice.

Last edited by Xzi,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Considering that Nintendo has been copying features from the fangame Pokemon Insurgence, and that game has armor items, it's pretty likely to be true.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Considering that Nintendo has been copying features from the fangame Pokemon Insurgence, and that game has armor items, it's pretty likely to be true.
Uhmm...read the OP again, armored Mewtwo was in the very first Pokemon movie, they're not "copying" anything. I remember begging my mom to go see that opening week with friends, but I had forgotten about that detail until now.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ugh these evolutions are getting out of the hand and then they call kingdom hearts convuluted. Why didn't we get to see pokemon masters with all these evolutions in the past ? Because if they exist now they should have existed prior to these games. That's why i'm calling it a convuluted mess

D

Deleted User

Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution
Whether it's a transformation based on his team rocket armor or an entirely new design, it will appear in the movie for sure.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
guessing instead of holding mega stone you make them old armor and then mega evolve during battle and then revert back at the end.

during lucario movie we see several armored pokemons for war

13b79a6ef654b96f4a246255b1ec564a.jpg

1405544881710.gif

what? lol first pokemon movie had armored mewtwo and lucario movie had many armored pokemons in a war, im guessing we will see almost every armored pokemon in the picture abode.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be cool if the Armored Mewtwo looks like he did in the anime when Giovanni put all the armor on him like in the screenshot. Always wanted that form of Mewtwo to be an official form you could play as in the games.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh these evolutions are getting out of the hand and then they call kingdom hearts convuluted. Why didn't we get to see pokemon masters with all these evolutions in the past ? Because if they exist now they should have existed prior to these games. That's why i'm calling it a convuluted mess
There's talk about alternate timelines, one where mega evolution wasn't a thing, and one where it was. pretty sure Zinnia mentions this theory in ORAS. The timeline can get confusing, but not Zelda timeline confusing

Reactions: x65943

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant nintendo stop ripping off other franchises namely digimon? gen 6 we had mega evolution basicly digivolution for pokemon (cause it wasn't permanent) and now armor evolution? (if thats really a thing in sw/sh) whats next trainers fusing with their pokemon? (tamers biomerge) I give them Kudo's for being original in gen 7 with Z moves/Partner powers but they still have a shitty track record for originality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: might look for one on yt