game drought

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by usmagen, Jan 17, 2008.

Jan 17, 2008

game drought by usmagen at 4:48 PM (4,114 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. usmagen
    OP

Member usmagen GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    any suggestions of games worthy of filling up this game drought we are experiencing now?

2. Duke_Jay

Member Duke_Jay GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    After finishing Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix wright series i am now playing orcs and elves and Geometry wars. [​IMG]

3. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    oh yes, hotel dusk is great, one of the best releases IMO. is there any flight sim for the ds, like the one ive seen but it is for the psp. so far ive only seen starfox. is there any other?

4. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    If you're an FF fan, you should try out FFIV (J) with the English menu patch. The remake is awesome, and with the patch it's completely playable.

5. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    yeah, i have it too with the patch. but its been years since i played it on a snes emu, im afraid that i cant get along with the story [​IMG]

but im keeping my fingers crossed for (U) release, it totally rocks!

6. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    Well, to pass the time I play Phoenix Wright! Waiting for Apollo Justice to come out >_>

The patch for FF4 is great and all but I wouldn't say it's playable to those who don't want to use a walkthrough and want to complete the game on their own (who don't have Japanese understanding) as the story isn't translated, but if you have a bit of Japanese knowledge I guess it's playable.

And I really want Advance Wars...

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Freedom Wings is a love it or hate it game.
    I loved it and completed it in 8 hours [​IMG]

8. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Flight Sims: Top Gun, Air DS (Japan only for now).

other good games worth checking out: FF:RW, Eragon, Megaman Starforce Series, Tales of Innocence (even if Japan only, easily playable without any guide most of the time cause it is straight forward), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Same as ToI except a USA Release will soon come out)

9. usmagen
    OP

Philippines

well at least advance wars is released now, and teh anticipation was high for teh game. got my hands on freedom wings now. i saw some screens for ds air and from the way it looks it might be a good one, so will wait for it as well.

10. Smwbigboss

Newcomer Smwbigboss Advanced Member

United States
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. It was just dumped last night and it's really good.

11. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    yep, i have it now. too bad i left my ds charger on my gf's house. was able to play a few minutes last night and man, i gotta say it teh r0x!

12. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    time ace. once you beat it two weeks after you buy it, you never ttouch it again, but those would've been a good two weeks.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    ^^ I second that with Time Ace. I found it at $15 used and traded for it free, got it completely cleared in a few hours or so, same with Cooking Mama for the same and swapped them out for a good value in credit and/or cash.

I dunno if you tried out Call of Duty 4 on DS but that's some serious shit right there, and the whole a/v package is above and beyond standard and not so standard 3D for the system...it's really engrossing.

I'd also suggest though it's a love/hate/acquired taste(?) Electroplankton, also Elite Beat Agents.

I saw Hotel Dusk brought up, but not its older brother Trace Memory which is fantastic.

True Swing Golf has a really nice swing mechanic and a lot of courses and gear to unlock and it's a cheapo now if you're a buyer like myself.

And while it's GBA butt ugly Lionel Trains On Track is a damn fun Railroad Tycoon 'Lite' on the go.

14. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    Good things come to those who wait

15. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    oh ye, those games do rock. COD4 is exceptionally good, i was amazed by its graphics the moment i started playing it. wasnt able to finish it though coz my microsd got screwed, but will continue it now. will also give time ace a go.

^indeed, good things come to those who wait. *ffiv (U) release* [​IMG]

16. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    to kill time i got a PSP, my poor DS lite is still in my cubbard for a good while now, the next good game won't come out for a while :S occasionally i play FF renvant wings and thats about it.

17. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    yep, im done with ffrw. currently waiting for ffiv (U)! [​IMG]

18. JeffForSale

Newcomer JeffForSale Member

United States
    i can't stop playing custom robo arena and chibi robo park patrol...both are awesome in their own right

19. usmagen
    OP

Philippines
    hmm, will also try chibi robo. i have considered getting it before but for some reason i didnt.

20. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Go back to Metacritic, and check their overall ranking of all DS games... here:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/

Start at the top (LoZ:PH) and work your way down. There are a handful of games that I just simply missed for whatever reason, that are not perfect, but fun to play, the biggest example of this is a little puzzle game called Trioncube. But yeah, Metacritic does an aggregate of all reviews for a game, and thus, it's a pretty accurate view of what critics say overall about a particular game, dig down as far as you can, you might see some gems that people miss!