Game Dev Tycoon devs teach pirates about piracy

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

When we released our very first game, Game Dev Tycoon (for Mac, Windows and Linux) yesterday, we did something unusual and as far as I know unique. We released a cracked version of the game ourselves, minutes after opening our Store.
I uploaded the torrent to the number one torrent sharing site, gave it a description imitating the scene and asked a few friends to help seed it.

This is honestly the most amusing form of anti-piracy I have ever seen, and of course entirely unique due to the nature of the game.
Best devs ever award :toot:

icon11.gif
Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw it being discussed elsewhere. By itself it is unique but elements of it have been tried before in different capacities (Mother 2, Batman broken glide function more recently, further back I recall an FPS had weapons randomly break, various people have "cracked properly" and seeded programs, others have encouraged and attempted to use the pirate contingent for marketing and to convert a few of them by various means).

Still it is a marketing stunt that worked out spectacularly well for them so well done there.

Reactions: mameks

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Seeing the first screen shot of a user complaint there on the source link there made me think about all the Wii shovelware I've seen. I'm sure good games are much more popular pirate targets so it's easy to think that if you make a crappy game that's cheap to produce at least you don't have so much overhead so it's safer.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome. A lot of "What's the point of developing a new engine in this game if it's just going to be pirated anyway!?" responses. And they are doing it themselves.

Reactions: mameks

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fail and game breaking. Cause you know big companies do not really go bankrupt because of pirates. Pirates wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. Meaning they didn't lose any real money.

Reactions: tbgtbg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Problem of piracy is the media which basically "promotes" it by showing people that never heard of it images and stories about it.

However, If I was a game dev, I'd done the same.
Doesn't matter how good you secure your media, it's going to get pirated one way or the other.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I pirated that and this happened to me, it wouldn't make me want to buy the game. That'd be very annoying and I'd just stop playing altogether.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it is a very cool idea !

Still think the biggest problem is that most games do not have Demo versions !
this game might be very interesting but I would not buy it as I have no idea if it is worth it or not !

Fail and game breaking. Cause u know big companies do not really go bankrupt because of pirates. pirates wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. Meaning they didn't lose any real money.

Well everyone says this but I think it is only half true !
I for one bought much more 3Ds games than NDS because I actually only bought games that were really awesome on the NDS now I bought a hand full of junk because I could not test it :(
And I am sure I am not the only one.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I saw this yesterday, it isn't really Anti Piracy in a technical sense, the devs uploaded a copy with the modified code to torrent sites IIRC. No actual crack detection and such. Last I checked, the "fixed" version was already up.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't this game just a copy of game dev story anyway?
I'll have to agree with this. Every single screenshot I've seen looks almost exactly like Game Dev Story. A dev shouldn't complain about piracy if their game is a shameless clone anyway.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem of piracy is the media which basically "promotes" it by showing people that never heard of it images and stories about it.

However, If I was a game dev, I'd done the same.
Doesn't matter how good you secure your media, it's going to get pirated one way or the other.
"REMEMBER GUYS. DO NOT GO TO WWW.RANDOMTORRENTSITE.ORG AND DOWNLOAD THIS GAME FOR FREE. EVER. EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN AND YOU'LL ALMOST DEFINITELY GET AWAY WITH IT. IT'S A BAD IDEA. REPEAT, WWW.RANDOMTORRENTSITE.ORG"

Reactions: Ritsuki

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y