Game chatting app Discord planning to open their own game storefront

QLIorFb.png

With over 130 million registered users, the online chatting program Discord is currently one of the most popular ways for gamers to casually communicate with each other. It also appears that the team behind the program, Hammer and Chisel, are looking to achieve even greater heights, as there's a new beta which will be available later today. This new update brings about a Store tab on the Discord startup page, and is planned to be a brand new storefront for users to buy games from. Titles from major publishers like THQ Nordic are available, as well as a multitude of indie games. For those that pay the fee for Discord Nitro ($4.99 a month, or $49.99 a year), they'll have access to a handful of games each month, not entirely dissimilar to the likes of PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live. When the service goes live, Nitro users will receive Saints Row: The Third, Metro: Last Light Redux, and Darksiders: Warmastered Edition.

Not only is the storefront major news, but Discord will also be starting up an exclusive funding program. If an indie developer agrees to publish their title on Discord exclusively first, for a minimum of 90 days, the company will help them cover some of the costs of development.

This new addition might make waves, as the current controversies around Steam in regards to adult games, or taking an incredibly lax stance on curation, or Fallout 76 skipping Steam, have some users questioning their support of Valve, and a new alternative could create competition. As of right now, the new Discord beta will only be available to select Canadian Discord Nitro users, where it will then roll out to all users at a later date.

:arrow: Source: Discord

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Though Discord proved last month that they're not really the best at handling problems with their company (FF14 debacle), I think this is actually really smart. You might not want yet another launcher on your computer, but Discord isn't just a launcher, it's a chat program that most people already have downloaded. Plus, the indie funding thing is great, and honestly, this is the best possible option to create a competitor to Steam. For now, I don't feel entirely comfortable buying games from Discord when I have over 300 on Steam, but if Discord offers a better looking solution, or cheaper sales, or such, they could really be on to something.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a decent idea, but until the global mods stop moderating servers so harshly, they won't be getting any more money from me.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this though. It makes it so you don’t have to keep opening launchers to find your pc games. They’ll all be in just one launcher, and you’ll be able to chat too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, I've never seen you in a while. How's that game getting on?
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.