Fallout 76 on PC will use Bethesda's own client, won't launch initially on Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 7, 2018.

Front-page
    fallout-76-tri-edition.

Bethesda's upcoming online take on the Fallout series is releasing this year, and if you pre-ordered the game, you'll be able to access the beta test that's scheduled for early October. Though details are still bare, Bethesda announced something new through the FAQ page for the beta: Fallout 76's PC version will not be launching on Valve's Steam platform. It appears as though Bethesda wishes to push its own launcher, Bethesda.net, instead of using Steam. The reveal of this follows Epic Games' choice to forgo a popular distribution service, the Google Play Store, in order to take a larger cut of profits. It is stated that this only will affect users who buy the game at launch, and it's implied that Fallout 76 will be available on the service some time after release.

If you're a PC gamer, does this impact your choice to purchase the game? Do you prefer publishers using their own game launchers, rather than just Steam?

:arrow: Source

Discussion (66 replies)
  1. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Always a bad choice in terms of raw population numbers, but i'm sure they'll do just fine being as big as they are.

Definitely annoying though. Yet another arbitrary client to take up space.

2. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Good. ESO has a ton of problems launching through Steam (glad I bought it before they forced you to launch via Steam).

EDIT: Oh it's a seperate launcher and not like ESO's launcher? That kind of blows. Though no Steam isn't a downside for me because I hate Steam. But another annoying storefront is a downside for me.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Aug 7, 2018
    SS4 likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Adds another reason for me to not buy this game, as if lack of story and online-only weren't bad enough already. We also definitely don't need another PC games launcher on top of Steam, UPlay, Battle.net, Origin, Epic Launcher, and GOG.

4. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    A sign of things to come, I suppose. This way, they don't have to forfeit a cut of profits to Valve or any other middleman. Expect Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 to launch exclusively through Bethesda.net as well.

MrJason005 and x65943 like this.
  5. Captain_Smek

Captain_Smek GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Canada
    I remember when a damn CD key was enough to let me play my PC game. Launcher bloat is getting insane.

6. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I'm better than you I think

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    I really wish developers would stop trying to push their own launchers. I know it's good to have some competition, but most of these clients are half-hearted attempts at game launchers which only exist to give companies more control over their profits and how their games are distributed.

Besides, having to manage several launchers for different games is a pain, and detrimental to people meticulous about organizing their games on their hard drive.

7. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    We should fix an intervention for Bethesda.
    This self abuse is starting to worry me.

Xzi likes this.
  8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Honestly, I'd say Steam does need better competition though.

x65943 and RedBlueGreen like this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Which isn't going to come from a launcher made exclusively for Bethesda games. GOG is Steam's only real competition. Most people prefer to keep their games all in one place if possible.

10. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Problem is, Steam is already good enough in a way that competing storefronts just don't have much else to offer. I can only think of GOG as a somewhat worthy Steam competitor since they actually do something different (offer entirely DRM-free games), and even then, GOG more or less coexists with Steam rather than challenges it. So all you really get are these half-hearted attempts at storefronts a la Origin, Uplay, etc, whose only real purpose is for big publishers to avoid paying royalties to Steam or another platform holder. Even online third-party storefronts like Humble, Green Man Gaming, IndieGala, etc. just sell Steam keys for redemption on, well, Steam.

11. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    If they just made the launcher stand-alone, one per game, nobody would care really. As long as they keep this "let me just slip myself into your auto start and systray and send endless data to my master about your doings" out of it.

12. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Probably so that they can secure the game more against FREE mods

13. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Good. Steam needs to be put in its place.

14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    I prefer Start Menu.

Nightwish and SS4 like this.
  15. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    It is fantastic old school technology.

16. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    If Bethesda heads in this direction, I will just do the same thing that I do with any game that uses uPlay: not play them legally. Steam is a great storefront in many subtle ways that people from the developed world do not understand. For those living in the developing world, the way Steam enforces prices that are aligned with local economic realities instead of pegged at some imaginary US standard is what allows us to play games legally. GOG.com does some of this to a lesser scale and I respect their anti-DRM stance very much, but it is still better to buy on Steam. So yeah... screw other storefronts.

17. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Then I guess Doom Eternal will use that as well when it'll be released in the future?

18. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    I don't play or buy games from Steam, nor Uplay anymore. If I even play a for-pay pc game, it is bought on GOG or a similar independent outlet.
    Steam might be a great storefront, but it is also a chokehold on pc publishing. As long as they keep their launchers optional, I am fine. Like how GOG isn't required to run for you to play your games. Unlike Steam, ORigin, Uplay etc.

SS4 likes this.
  19. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    Mother of God I hope not

Orangy57 and RedoLane like this.