Hacking G6 lite and Mac OSX

Mactaetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I ordered the G6 lite with the passcard but have an imac PPC and a macbook 13".
So no Windows PC...

Would like to know if anyone of you has the G6 lite running with the Mac.
I have parallels too but when I tried to install my routersoftware via usb it said something of: usb is in usage right now wait 5-10 minutes, blah blah blah. I bet I'll have the same problem with the G6 and parallels.

so again:
anyone using the G6 with Mac OSX successfully?

if so, please let me know.
bow.gif

cheers and thanks

mactaetus

carloandreacchio

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should look into either parallels or bootcamp for your macbook. As it has an intel chip in it, you are able to run windows applications at near full speed.

This means you should be able to convert your games and put them on your card from your macbook.

Carlo

Mactaetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So you all say "you recommend" but not "I am using this with the G6 lite for the NDS and it's working flawlessly" or something like that, eh?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd go with bootcamp over parallels. That way you won't get all the mac hidden files littering up your G6. I was transferring stuff from my emac to the G6 (y'know just as a usb thumbdrive) and eventually had to re-format the G6 (kinda scary) due to folders that wonked out. So, if you've got a spare thumb drive (other than the G6) you can just drop files onto it from your mac side (Dr. Jekyll) and then boot into the pc side (Mr. Hyde) and drop 'em into a pc folder. Then you won't have to monkey with hooking the pc side up to teh internets. That way you'll keep your G6 all nice and pure and untainted by "mac goodness", not to mention keeping your pc side untainted by "viral badness".

I have a cheap-ass pc hooked up primarily for working with my carts, but I'm anxious to see what apple will roll out on monday. If Stevie announces the Intel desktops (Mac Pro's?) and they're not too expensive
rofl2.gif
, I'll be looking to get one and finally "hyde" my pc in the closet.

But anyway, yeah, bootcamp, keep it pure. I don't have an intel mac, so I haven't tried it, but I think it's the safest bet.

Quay Cur

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.happynessplanet.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if macs didn't leave hidden files all over it you still can't run the rom converting software that they give you with it. I have an iMac G5 and iBook G4 so boot camp is out of the question, and there's no way I'm buying another comp for another year at least. I've been considering getting a cheap (like under $100) PC and using that, but I very well may end up buying Virtual PC 7. It's $220 freaking dollars and Microsoft doesn't offer a student discount, but I think I would be much less agrivated by this than dealing with an old PC. Those things know I don't like them.

PajamaJam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the G6 english version with a Powerbook (PowerPC) and Virtual PC. It works fine.

You can get U-Disk Manager working on any Mac, but the means to do so will depend on whether you have a PowerPC or Intel based Mac.

PowerPC based Mac users will need to install x86 emulation software. Once this is done, Windows can be installed as a "virtual machine" and run under OS-X. Microsoft's Virtual PC 7 is probably the most popular (and most expensive) of those available, but there are free alternatives as well. I have only tested U-Disk Manager with Virtual PC, so I can not vouch for the other x86 emulators out there. If you know anyone who works at MS, have them pick up a copy for you at the MS store (it costs about $45 for MS employees). If you go this route, I highly recommend installing Windows 2000 and *not* installing Windows XP, as Windows 2000 performs significantly faster under emulation.

Intel based Mac users have a choice: use virtualization software to run Windows under OS-X, or use Apple's own "Bootcamp" to allow their Mac to run Windows natively on their hardware. Parallels seems to be the front-runner in the OS-X virtualization area at the moment, but only because it is the first commercial product available to allow Intel Macs to run Windows virtually. Just like PowerPC emulators, there are free alternatives here as well (again, which I can not vouch for). Running Bootcamp is the "cleanest" way to run Windows on Apple hardware, but it will require a reboot in order to switch from OS-X to Windows (or visa versa).

Check http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html for more information on x86 emulators and virtualization software. And in case you were wondering, an x86 "emulator" on a PowerPC Mac and x86 "virtualization software" on an Intel Mac do effectively the same thing -- allow you to run Windows under OS-X.

Good luck.

fredolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using the G6 lite with a macbook pro and parallels, works perfectly well even if the blue light do not come off when you say to windows to shut it off.

No problem at all with bootcamp (it's windows essentially)

Mactaetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the reply.

I got parallels and a macbook 13". Will try that one then in the next few days when the flahser arrives.

@fredolo: Do you know how to solve the problem with the USB port where it says: wait 5-10 minutes because the usb port is in use by something else (but it isn't) ?
I had that with my router installation under windows and am afraid that it may happen with my g6 too

cheers

fredolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what you mean. Is that message under parallels or Osx ?
My method : run parallels, plug the G6 lite on the usb, tick the blue button under parallels (USB mass storage), then work with your toy.

When you leave, do it exactly the same way you would under windows. Nothin more otherwise it could freeze your osx (yeah ....)

Mactaetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it was under parallels.
well I finally have my g6 lite here next to me. but I'm at work with pc *sigh*
Will have to wait until tonight... so only a few more hours to go.

I reckon if that problem keeps poppin up that I'll just start a new virtual machine and reinstall windows. should be fine I hope

cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been on since 9.0 +1