"futuristic" scenes with tech in films/tv/etc that actually came true.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine most posting in this website have both seen a computer and at least managed to have the curiosity overcome the fear enough to touch it. As such we seem to be doing better than the average writer of TV shows, films and the like.

Sometimes however the silliness does come to pass.

Earlier I saw a thread about getting your phone screen on TV. A few years back we were all seeing Iron Man 2

(later in the sequence)
There he appears to hack a plain TV with a DVD player in it which would be some mad skills there.

My first time seeing such a thing was probably http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/06/bofh_2006_episode_1/ and the ending line about the ipod.
Being a good little hacker I was aware of ipod hacking of the time. It could not be done then (see also why https://lifehacker.com/5056370/breathe-new-life-into-your-aging-mp3-player-with-rockbox was a little while after that thing) but today nobody would give the idea a second thought. In defence of the BOFH article it was obvious that it was heading that way.

Some have held that mobile phones at one point owed more than a passing nod to the star trek "communicators".

Post your favourites.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly futuristic at the time, but I thought it was really cool to use the GPS in Grand Theft Auto growing up.

Never thought I would be using the GPS every day of my life to drive around the city.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not really seen in the movie, but Terminator envisioned how we are living now : internet, smartphone, google, facebook, everyone is connected. and it was 30 year ago ! cell phones and internet wasn't a thing, but watching T2 again this year was mind blowing how well it describes our technology and current way of living.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-