Gaming future computers

• Thread starter tal32123
  • Start date
  • Views 3,722
  • Replies 38
T

tal32123

OP
what kind of new features do you think computers will have in the future?

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
They'll let me punch people in the face over the internet.

What's up your obsession of wanting to punch people in the face? You seem to want do do it all the time.

Ontopic: I hope to see portable storage (SD cards, flash drives, disks) to have higher capacity. I'm looking for something higher than 1 terabyte.
tongue.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
They will do away with ram and hard drives. Instead they will have a single storage and memory device that is as fast/faster then ram, but that can also store data when the computer is switched off.

Also mouse will be replaced with touchscreen or some gesture based technology.

As people become more 'green' companies will focus more on making products more energy efficent. Which is sort of happening now.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What if they move everything in the cloud, so you buy a little box and set it up, and pick what kind of system you want. Easy upgrades, portable. Kinda like OnLive, but for everything. That also means that if they fuck up that there is nothing you can do, and internet must be way faster and cheaper.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tal32123 said:
what kind of new features do you think computers will have in the future?

It's market driven, there havent been any noteworthy advance's some of the stuff that is an advancement is on linux side (use bios flash ram for faster booting (like kernel upon turning your computer on).

There wont be any major things released unless they find a bottleneck for their design (look at graphics pci->AGP->Pci-E).

Some of the things which were a "leap" forward according to Intel: RD ram , which wasnt that leap according to most unless you put it in a setup no casual user ever uses
smile.gif

The leap forward looks more like better software that allows better usage of multiple cpu's (and yes most likely this will also be GPU (windows 7 seems to allow this) .

Instead of hardware.

There have been somethings which are still better in hardware on the Amiga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga then they are implemented on the PC.

T

tal32123

OP
somebody once told me processors probably won't get much faster than they are now, they are just going to add more cores

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tal32123 said:
somebody once told me processors probably won't get much faster than they are now, they are just going to add more cores

you never know people said that before the i7 came out and clearly it being a quad core out-performs other quad cores on the market

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I'm concerned, in the immediate future, Processors won't get faster in terms of clock speed.

I think the work will be done in multi-core, and in optimising the instruction-sets.

From what my friends in final-year Comp-Sci tell me, Intel's instruction-set is a bit of a mess (while AMD's implementation is a fair bit more efficient). Improving, or indeed, completely redesigning these, may make our computers of the future faster.

Also, until we move onto more exotic technologies, Die-Size will probably reach a practical minimum.

I wouldn't like to predict much further, since it will invariably be wrong.
tongue.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
They've actually started adding Quantum Computing as a major in my college, however they only teach Theory right now, so you'd have to take Computer Science and change over to Quantum Computer Science after xD

Majoring in Quantum Computer Science can get you some big bucks right now too. :]

--
The above post is pretty accurate.

We pretty much maxed out where we were with 4.0GHz, we can't effectively go faster than that (or at least not yet it won't be efficient and we also will probably melt the core, which is why normally you have them pro ass CPU you have a nice heatsink/fan on it (I personally have a rifle on mine).

Most things are starting to focus a lot more on being multi-threaded and we're going for more cores. Right now we have 8, it will be about 2 years before we start seeing 16s popping up, and I'm sure we'll get to around 32 by the time they figure out an efficient way to fix everything because we run right back into the same problem.

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
nIxx said:
They've actually started adding Quantum Computing as a major in my college, however they only teach Theory right now, so you'd have to take Computer Science and change over to Quantum Computer Science after xD

Majoring in Quantum Computer Science can get you some big bucks right now too. :]

That's interesting, I took Computer Science a year back, I didn't know they offered Quantum Computing in colleges now. That'll be a great reference for the future. Thank you. Anyway, I don't really have an exact guess on what the future computers might bring. Just a few years ago, I was using a CRT monitor, look how technology has improved since then, it's unbelievable. But, it would certainly be interesting to see a hologram-like, touch-based monitor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill