future computers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by tal32123, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009

future computers by tal32123 at 8:47 PM (2,808 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. tal32123
    OP

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what kind of new features do you think computers will have in the future?

2. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    They'll become robots and you can bring them anywhere you go without carrying them.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    They'll let me punch people in the face over the internet.

4. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    What's up your obsession of wanting to punch people in the face? You seem to want do do it all the time.

Ontopic: I hope to see portable storage (SD cards, flash drives, disks) to have higher capacity. I'm looking for something higher than 1 terabyte. [​IMG]

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    It's the cure for stupid people on the internet.

6. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    32GB Graphics cards.

7. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    They will do away with ram and hard drives. Instead they will have a single storage and memory device that is as fast/faster then ram, but that can also store data when the computer is switched off.

Also mouse will be replaced with touchscreen or some gesture based technology.

As people become more 'green' companies will focus more on making products more energy efficent. Which is sort of happening now.

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    What if they move everything in the cloud, so you buy a little box and set it up, and pick what kind of system you want. Easy upgrades, portable. Kinda like OnLive, but for everything. That also means that if they fuck up that there is nothing you can do, and internet must be way faster and cheaper.

9. tal32123
    OP

United States
    thats pretty funny

10. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    100 core processor [​IMG]
    100 TB Hard disks with 1 GB cache

11. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  12. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I share the same as Bill did a few years ago: No Booting!

13. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's market driven, there havent been any noteworthy advance's some of the stuff that is an advancement is on linux side (use bios flash ram for faster booting (like kernel upon turning your computer on).

There wont be any major things released unless they find a bottleneck for their design (look at graphics pci->AGP->Pci-E).

Some of the things which were a "leap" forward according to Intel: RD ram , which wasnt that leap according to most unless you put it in a setup no casual user ever uses [​IMG] .

The leap forward looks more like better software that allows better usage of multiple cpu's (and yes most likely this will also be GPU (windows 7 seems to allow this) .

Instead of hardware.

There have been somethings which are still better in hardware on the Amiga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga then they are implemented on the PC.

14. tal32123
    OP

United States
    somebody once told me processors probably won't get much faster than they are now, they are just going to add more cores

15. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    practically done already. clearspeed's showcased a 96 core chip and intel have showcased a 80 core processor.

16. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you never know people said that before the i7 came out and clearly it being a quad core out-performs other quad cores on the market

17. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    As far as I'm concerned, in the immediate future, Processors won't get faster in terms of clock speed.

I think the work will be done in multi-core, and in optimising the instruction-sets.

From what my friends in final-year Comp-Sci tell me, Intel's instruction-set is a bit of a mess (while AMD's implementation is a fair bit more efficient). Improving, or indeed, completely redesigning these, may make our computers of the future faster.

Also, until we move onto more exotic technologies, Die-Size will probably reach a practical minimum.

I wouldn't like to predict much further, since it will invariably be wrong. [​IMG]

18. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They've actually started adding Quantum Computing as a major in my college, however they only teach Theory right now, so you'd have to take Computer Science and change over to Quantum Computer Science after xD

Majoring in Quantum Computer Science can get you some big bucks right now too. :]

--
    The above post is pretty accurate.

We pretty much maxed out where we were with 4.0GHz, we can't effectively go faster than that (or at least not yet it won't be efficient and we also will probably melt the core, which is why normally you have them pro ass CPU you have a nice heatsink/fan on it (I personally have a rifle on mine).

Most things are starting to focus a lot more on being multi-threaded and we're going for more cores. Right now we have 8, it will be about 2 years before we start seeing 16s popping up, and I'm sure we'll get to around 32 by the time they figure out an efficient way to fix everything because we run right back into the same problem.

19. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's interesting, I took Computer Science a year back, I didn't know they offered Quantum Computing in colleges now. That'll be a great reference for the future. Thank you. Anyway, I don't really have an exact guess on what the future computers might bring. Just a few years ago, I was using a CRT monitor, look how technology has improved since then, it's unbelievable. But, it would certainly be interesting to see a hologram-like, touch-based monitor.

20. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There are no cpu's which are by default sold as 4ghz. And that will take a while atleast to hit the market still maybe up to a year!!