Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madpinger said:
m3rox said:
Sounds like a paranoid pirate to me.

How so, Just sharing the info. Only part I thought worth sharing was that their LICENSE grants them the right to brick your unit.
I don't own a DS or a 3DS.

Tho, nice troll ^.^

It's been established here a few dozen times in the countless bricking threads that just because you say something in a license, it doesn't magically give you the right to do it.

This entire idea is dumb, but the demands are way over the top, especially "Drop DRM from the Nintendo 3DS and all future Nintendo products".

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I haven't seen this wording "... will render your ...", only on here in 2 topics this one included.
I have actually read the ToS and other agreements on the system one time I was bored.

They say "...may render..." and the wording points to not the system bricking, but the software used to pirate games or unlicensed homebrew may cause your system to brick when nintendo try to remove it.
It's just the classic "if you alter the system yourself, you're responsible if when we try to update it, it breaks."

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't get why people get upset over this. It basically means if you fuck around with the device, you might break it and it's not our fault. It's no different than those silly warnings on ladders on how to actually use them and such. They're basically lawyer CYA boilerplate stuff.

joshuagay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am the author of the blog post on the defectivebydesign.org site. Although I know that this community has covered the idea that Nintendo has the ability to brick your device through a firmware update, there are other aspects of this story that don't seem to be getting attention on this discussion thread. Our analysis quotes many other aspects of the Terms of Service besides bricking (see, http://www.defectivebydesign.org/nintendo).

For example, we point out that through the Terms of Service, Nintendo is claiming a copyright license to all of the personal and non-personal data that gets onto your device. For example, any photos or videos you take, messages created or sent, wireless beacons you've come into contact, etc., can all be transmitted to the Nintendo servers and they then claim they can reuse that information, data, and media however they wish. Further they explicitly state that they may share this information with third party companies.

And, yes, as some of you have pointed out, it is often the case the Terms of Service are kind of crazy -- but, have you ever seen one go this far? (I have not heard of a device company making a copyright claim to photos taken on the device. If you have, please let me know!). I believe Nintendo is really entering into some uncharted territory with their use of DRM and Terms of Service.

Anyhow, I'd like to thank everyone who has chimed in on this thread. Knowing that people are discussing and thinking about this issue is the most important thing for me!

Josh

Joshua Gay
campaigns manager
Free Software Foundation

D

Deleted_171835

joshuagay said:
The terms of service are not above the law.

I doubt Nintendo will be able to carry out such things considering they will probably violate many privacy laws.

Raikiri

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Meh the bricking thing is ok-ish, since you're doing an illegal thing. Just another way of anti-piracy that MIGHT work
wink.gif

but the worst part indeed is the fact that they own EVERYTHING you create on your DS :S that is just madness... so much for freedom of creativity

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leeday100196 said:
Can't legally do that, they'd get sued too many times too quickly. Been discussed before, not happening. look around the forums before you post identical (or almost identical) information.
I agree.. What Nintendo is doing is simply covering their "asses"... The only thing that troubles me is the bricking part. Only time will show if Nintendo will really block 3DSs. Really in a world where you can be banned for pirating (Xbox live) or companies keep your GPS data for one whole year (Apple), I don't think a so called "bricked" device is the problem as you have violated the law yourself byt using and downloaded games you didn't pay for. So I'm fine by that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw