Hacking Full Brick; BootMii as boot2; no nand or access to hbc

Ephizel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated in the topic, I turned on my system a few days ago to be faced with a full brick. I can get into bootmii but I don't have a nand backup, and the homebrew channel won't come up either.

Could anyone please walk me through fixing this, if possible? Thank you!

Ephizel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a bother, but is there a recommended guide for either of these? I've tried cboot2 from a few sources without success, and I'm not sure how to go about using dop-ios.

How should I get wadmanager running? Basically cboot2 isn't booting into wadmanager or displaying anything at all.

Any help in getting either of these working would be greatly appreciated.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well what did you do to make it come up in a brick? wiis don't just do that by themelves.

you can always use the nand formatter to fix it, but i doubt youll need to go that far.

Unfortune

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Ephizel said:
As stated in the topic, I turned on my system a few days ago to be faced with a full brick. I can get into bootmii but I don't have a nand backup, and the homebrew channel won't come up either.

Could anyone please walk me through fixing this, if possible? Thank you!

Oh noess... What's the point of BootMii if your not gonna keep a NAND backup?

Ephizel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've taken a backup since the incident for reasons Shonk mentioned, but yeah, not having one before was stupid on my part. I didn't have an SD card when I installed bootmii that I was willing to use for it yet.

As far as how it bricked, I honestly don't know. The last thing I did on it was replay No More Heroes in preparation for the sequel. When I started up my Wii the next day: bricked. I don't know what caused it.

Sorry for having such a troublesome case.

Ephizel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can turn on the console with the remote without a problem. That's it, of course.

EDIT: Opted to run the nand formatter, which didn't complete. However, I was able to run cboot2 afterwards, but it returned an error (Failed to load IOS).
I'll have to resume working on this tomorrow.

gamecat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I can turn on the console with the remote without a problem. That's it, of course.

EDIT: Opted to run the nand formatter, which didn't complete. However, I was able to run cboot2 afterwards, but it returned an error (Failed to load IOS).
I'll have to resume working on this tomorrow.

Not that this helps much but i had a similar problem last year getting the 'failed to load ios' error when running cboot2.

The working nand backup i had did not restore it, and a guy on here made me a nand backup using my keys which didnt restore it either.

In the end i had to bite the bullet and send to nintendo. Luckily they fixed it for free (im in the uk though)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think cBoot2 requires IOS36 installed on nand. Doesn't the nand formatter allow to install some wads along with the system menu?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you make a NAND backup, how many badblocks etc. do you get and what kind of wii do you have? If you find one that matches yours, it should work to switch keys on that NAND backup.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
I think cBoot2 requires IOS36 installed on nand. Doesn't the nand formatter allow to install some wads along with the system menu?

Does it?
unsure.gif

I always thought it depends on the application you run from it. So if __IOS_LoadStartupIOS is nulled it will work without IOS36, if not, it will automatically reload to IOS36.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
WiiPower said:
nope cboot2 run IOS36 from SD card

Anyway the simpliest way to unbrick with bootmii as boot2 without NAND dump / HBC is: resign a bootmii dump with betwiin and start injecting (of course u'll find a "donor", compatible, whos doesn't give a shit about sharing mii's codes, / legit buy VC/WW (anyway after fixing should format your wii, to avoid using same ID twice)

EDIT: i can give some NAND dump for the Betwiin conversion

- boot1b, boot2v3, 4.1E
- boot1b, boot2v4, 4.2E (same wii but different system) those dump have only one bad block, at 3414

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you ran the nand formatter, what wads did you have on the sd card (in sd:/wad/) ? and if you didnt edit the source code to the formatter, you will now have the same serial number (LU104170609) as the 100s of other people that have used it.

Ephizel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a launch Wii with 3 bad blocks.

Wads were a 3.1u sysmen, IOS30, EULA and the region select. It only installed two of those before saying Done and rebooting. I left the formatter as it was.

How likely is it for a NAND transplant to work? And thanks again for all the help, everyone!

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's better to use IOS wads taken from a disc rather than NUS downloader, and also you probably don't want to use sysmenu 3.1u - I've heard it's too big and crashes the program, due to it only using MEM1 for temp storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw