Hacking Fresh installed HWFLY OLED. Hekate show Battery 0%, 0 amp current

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've installed picofly on a new working OLED.

I was very careful to protect every solder point to prevent shorts etc.

After installation, I was so surprised to find that although I can boot into hekate but it shows the battery is 0% and 0 amp current.

I suspected max 17050 is dead and did two replacements with no luck to recover. (not sure the new chip is ok or not).

The strange thing is why the installation can cause 17050 dead? so strange. anyone had the same issue?

in hekate, it shows like something below:
1697605586179.png

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I had same issue and it was a trace cut around the D point.

I wasn't able to boot HOS too.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! How do you know it was the trace cut around the D point? Would you mind sharing more details about the issue?

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Look around the area, the traces are almost visible. Use the phone camera if you don't have microscope.

Thanks for reply. I checked the trace around the CPU upper part area around point D. The traces look good to me. I have uploaded the picture. I also attached an OLED naked board picture with it just for easy comparison.
1697618796087.png

1697618820551.png

Post automatically merged:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Unfortunately, my case seems a bit different from yours. The traces in that area on my OLED boards seems OK to me.
Thanks for reply. I checked the trace around the CPU upper part area around point D. The traces look good to me. I have uploaded the picture. I also attached an OLED naked board picture with it just for easy comparison.
1697618796087.png

1697618820551.png

Luckily, my colleague juanvlc was able to fix it
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Unfortunately, my case seems a bit different from yours. The traces in that area on my OLED boards seems OK to me.

Last edited by jjloki222,

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
update!

finally, I found the scl/sda trace around the CPU is cut! it's cut by my multimeter probes when measuring the inductor beside it! whew! no wonder CPU can't talk to MAX10705 for battery and current info!

1697727670184.png

Reactions: BigOnYa

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
And fix that trace solve the issue?
I didn't get the chance to fix it yet. Theoretically, I would say yes since the line is actually SCL/SDA trace for on-board chip communication including MAX10705 which is in charge of current/battery sensing.

I will keep update the result once I get the chance to fix it.

jjloki222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I didn't get the chance to fix it yet. Theoretically, I would say yes since the line is actually SCL/SDA trace for on-board chip communication including MAX10705 which is in charge of current/battery sensing.

I will keep update the result once I get the chance to fix it.
hello, progress update:

as expected, fixing the line did fix the issue!

1697976961216.png

1697976985561.png

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello!

I have same exact problem. I have installed many chips on OLEDs, and being extra careful.
THe Switch was fully working with no problems.
This time i attempted the kamikaze method next to CMD point. First time doing it, and success. Booting nearly instantly.
I haven't disassembled to show the backside, so it's impossible to have scratches there. Everything happening on top side.

But yea, Only thing that boots is Hekate. With battery and temperature showing 0.
As i gathered, this is most likely to do with SCL/SDA lines cut, like OP had.
I have tried finding a cut or shorted trace with no success.

Only thing i can now think of if the grinding dust have entered below some BGA chip shorting lines, but that is so low change since i have used alcohol to tie the dust in place while grinding and wiping it away actively.
I also took pictures of the kamikaze install, and there's no way that it is shorting or cutting adjacent lines. (i applied soldermask twice before soldering).

The two ICs responsible of battery and charging are okay i think. When i measure the battery and plug USB in, it appears to be charging. And since temperature is also missing, it cannot be temp and battery IC broken at same time.
I tested continuity of SDA/SCL lines between Realtek chip and BQ24193.

Anything else that could make this effect or to troubleshoot?

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_143316.jpg
    IMG_20240302_143316.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240302_133018.jpg
    IMG_20240302_133018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240302_132816.jpg
    IMG_20240302_132816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited by Quezacotl,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

I have same exact problem. I have installed many chips on OLEDs, and being extra careful.
THe Switch was fully working with no problems.
This time i attempted the kamikaze method next to CMD point. First time doing it, and success. Booting nearly instantly.
I haven't disassembled to show the backside, so it's impossible to have scratches there. Everything happening on top side.

But yea, Only thing that boots is Hekate. With battery and temperature showing 0.
As i gathered, this is most likely to do with SCL/SDA lines cut, like OP had.
I have tried finding a cut or shorted trace with no success.

Only thing i can now think of if the grinding dust have entered below some BGA chip shorting lines, but that is so low change since i have used alcohol to tie the dust in place while grinding and wiping it away actively.
I also took pictures of the kamikaze install, and there's no way that it is shorting or cutting adjacent lines. (i applied soldermask twice before soldering).

The two ICs responsible of battery and charging are okay i think. When i measure the battery and plug USB in, it appears to be charging. And since temperature is also missing, it cannot be temp and battery IC broken at same time.
I tested continuity of SDA/SCL lines between Realtek chip and BQ24193.

Anything else that could make this effect or to troubleshoot?
Show pictures around the cpu shield instead of the dat0 point

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Show pictures around the cpu shield instead of the dat0 point
Here from 3 sides.
Initially i cut only the needed like 1cm of shield wall to get access to the CLK point, but took more away to see better.
There's one cut-looking trace in middle of first picture. I scratched it to see if it's cut but it's not.

I tried also flushing the board with ipa, the top side, and draining towards dat point in hopes it could bring something from under the BGA chips. But no luck.
I desoldered the modchip, but as i guessed, problem is not the modchip. (Picofly)

Biggest and only discovery so far. I measured SCL and SDA line resistances from BQ24193. Both about 1,8k, and on working Switches they are 13k. (one working and one broken for parts for reference).
Could that chip break so easily? Note that i didn't plug USB at all between before modding and Hekate screen.
If the chip is broken bringing the datalines down, and temp IC has shared line, it could make this effect?

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_230221.jpg
    IMG_20240302_230221.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240302_230253.jpg
    IMG_20240302_230253.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240302_230318.jpg
    IMG_20240302_230318.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited by Quezacotl,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...