Homebrew RELEASE Free Heroes 2 on Switch Homebrew

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a version of Free Heroes 2 (an open-source engine for Heroes of Might and Magic 2) which I have built for Nintendo Switch.
Releases · dimag0g/fheroes2 (github.com)

It's currently playable using a touchscreen and mouse emulation using the left stick and A/B buttons.
A short video should give you an idea of what to expect:

Installation instructions, controls, known bugs, etc:
https://github.com/dimag0g/fheroes2/tree/switch

Homebrew App Store link (for those who don't want to miss the updates):
https://apps.fortheusers.org/switch/fheroes2

Last edited by dimag0g,

Hqnders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually tried to port this over to the Switch myself last summer, but the project kept collecting dust like many hobby projects tend to do. Thank you so much for getting a working port, it's one of my favourite games ever <3

Reactions: newo and lordelan

Stephen_Falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The game runs slow. Some maps are fine, but usually it almost freezes. Is there a way to improve it? I do not have music as well. I am using 1tb Sandisk Ultra micro sd card. Thx in advance.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
The game runs slow. Some maps are fine, but usually it almost freezes. Is there a way to improve it? I do not have music as well. I am using 1tb Sandisk Ultra micro sd card. Thx in advance.
Guess you're using incorrect version of the gamedata. I've all the music (it's in .ogg format), and maps are normal (for now at least).

Reactions: dimag0g

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Hard to say what's wrong exactly without knowing what game data you have. I use the one from GoG and don't see the issues you describe.

You can try to update to the latest version (0.9.0), AFAIK there were some changes in there to support weird game data variants (I remember a certain Polish CD version was discussed). In fact, everyone playing the game should update, as the latest version lets you go much further in the single-player campaign than the original release which was essentially limited to the first map.

danistl

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
THANK YOU FOR PORTING THIS TO SWITCH!!!
Best game ever.

Can you tell me how i can map keys to buttons? for example to the shoulder buttons because they are unused.
It would be nice to have more shortcuts. Scrolling with the controller takes long when you play big sessions.

Tab - Next Hero
Space - Skip Turn
C - Cast Spell
E - End Turn
M - Move
H - Hero Locator
T - Town Locator

Last edited by danistl,
Reactions: dimag0g

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It would be nice to have more shortcuts.

Done! The upstream version got important AI updates as well (AI heroes won't endlessly chase weak enemy heroes, will move shooters away from slower enemy units during a battle, and will cross the moat in a smarter way during a siege), so the update has more than just shortcuts.

Oh, and most importantly, v. 0.9.1 has yours truly in the list of top contributors in the game credits. I made a big change in v. 0.9.0 regarding error logging which I delivered upsteam, and since it touched just about every file, I made it to the top list :)

Last edited by dimag0g,

danistl

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Done! The upstream version got important AI updates as well (AI heroes won't endlessly chase weak enemy heroes, will move shooters away from slower enemy units during a battle, and will cross the moat in a smarter way during a siege), so the update has more than just shortcuts.

Oh, and most importantly, v. 0.9.1 has yours truly in the list of top contributors in the game credits. I made a big change in v. 0.9.0 regarding error logging which I delivered upsteam, and since it touched just about every file, I made it to the top list :)

I love you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1