FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Title pretty much says it all. Actual, spiritual, same devs different company (timesplitters and goldeneye for example), clear homages, same universe (not ideal but Vagrant Story is supposed to be set in the same universe as Final Fantasy 12 and the FF tactics games).... all quite welcome though you may wish to note what goes with what in the case of the latter two for reasons that the bracketed text probably just made people aware of.

Was it because the early entries were on long dead consoles and nigh unplayable as a result, was it because the gameplay style was radically different and not one you like (Fallout might be a nice example), was it just bone idleness, was it because you never got around to it, was it because you were still a poor urchin and your 386 could not handle much emulation.....

Vice versa is pretty much franchises you did not play the sequels in.

Heroes of Might and Magic -- loved 2 once it got the expansion packs. Played a few hours of 3, a few more of 4 and did not do a lot else. Expand that to the Might and Magic universe and that number only grows.

Mario -- my young self got a NES one Christmas and mario came with it. To this day I have not played enough of the remaining NES, GBA or SNES titles to say I have. NSMB wii aside nothing there either.

Mass effect -- played the first on PC, never did another.

Grandia. Still own a copy of the first for the PS1, somehow never did a sequel.

Tony Hawk titles. Never made it much past 4 and then I discovered Skate 2 (never played skate 1 actually).

COD -- played a couple of the modern warfare and the a WW2 title somewhere in the mix. None before or since save for a bit of multiplayer of 3 which I hold does not count.

Halo -- played 2, 1, ODST and the prequel thing. If I played 3 or one of the others I can barely remember it at this point. Nothing else.

Far Cry 1. Granted I have not played the recent ones either at this point.

Half life 1. Had it for some reason, never bothered to finish it. Played through 2 and the episodes when I was bored/to say I had one day and it did so very little for me.

Splinter cell games. Not sure what goes at this point and aside from the last one released they were all very much out of release order.

Assassin's creed. PC for the first, console for the second and have yet to do another.

I realise this might be a partial sequel to/retread of one of my earlier threads ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/legendary-games-or-franchises-you-have-not-played.285807/ ) but hey.

There are probably a lot more but I will leave it at that for now.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got a broad interest in games. As such, I sort of never follow franchises. Besides...for some franchises, it's practically impossible to keep up.

-Assassin's creed. Only played 3. The story is too much a mess to even bother with any previous version.

-Zelda: while I have played most versions, I just cannot stand the first 2 NES versions. I don't care if it's a classic...I just can't get into it.

-Burnout paradise: picked it up from the gaming bin. Pretty awesome...but I've heard it's different than previous entries (which are more about racing that mayhem), so I haven't bothered

-Borderlands: another gaming bin gem. Played it roughly around the time the sequel was announced. However, the game kinda crashed a lot, and since I never knew if that was actually properly solved (or ran as fine on my pc), I've never bothered. It'll probably also be a gaming bin sale.

-diablo 3: I've never played the sequels. I don't get what all the fuss is about either. There's probably some huge ass depth to it, but to me it's just a point 'n click game. It's certainly entertaining, but nothing more than that.

-Bioshock: the first one was awesome, but despite it being bundled with the second one, I never got around to do more than just the first few levels.

-Prince of Persia: this one has two entries: the very first one (on my 486) and sands of time. All the others...I've tried them but ditched them. In fact, I even have some version bought from a bin that I haven't even installed yet (and probably never will).

-sin and punishment 2: one of the best games of the wii. But never even heard of it before watching the trailers. And no interest in playing the N64 game that started it.

-final fantasy 8...I think. Yet another gaming bin item. I wish I could say "gem", but I don't get the appeal to these games.

-de blob 2. yeah...why bother getting the first one when you hear it's improved in every way when you hear of it?

...and that's just about the games I actually own(ed) a legit copy. If I had to mention everything I have pirated and tried at some point, it'd be much longer.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-sin and punishment 2: one of the best games of the wii. But never even heard of it before watching the trailers. And no interest in playing the N64 game that started it.
The original is pretty much the same thing (but obviously different levels and stuff) and is well worth a try, honestly.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
- Borderlands: I only played Borderlands 2
- Heroes of Might and Magic: Played only Heroes 5 and the Tribes of the East expansion.
- Halo: Played only Halo 1 and a demo of Halo 2.
- Far Cry: Only Far Cry 1
- Crysis: Only Crysis 1.
- Call of Duty: Call of Duty 2 and a demo of Call of Duty 4.
- Prince of Persia: I only played the original 3d trilogy (sands of time, the two thrones, Warrior Within) and the first game
- Assassin's Creed: Still have to play Assassin's Creed 3, and finish Revelations.
- The Settlers: Settlers 2 FTW.
- Call of Juarez: Only the first game, which is still epic, no matter how many times i replay it.
- Ys: Only Ys Origins
- Souls: Only Dark Souls, can't wait to play Dark Souls 2.

I'm pretty certain there are many other series I only played a few games in, but that's all I remember for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Welcome back