Former PS5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart launches on PC, is cracked in less than an hour

Sony's latest PC port is not using Denuvo as anti-piracy DRM, as proven by the fact that the game was cracked within 30 minutes of its launch. Releasing on PC today after being a PlayStation 5 exclusive for the last two years, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is available now on Steam. It's a 40GB game and has compatibility with the Steam Deck, with the port being developed by Nixxes, a studio recently acquired by Sony, and was responsible for the PC release of Marvel's Spider-Man. Currently, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is available on Steam for $59.99.

:arrow: Official Steam Page

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do people actually believe this nonsense?
There is very little evidence that DRM boosts PC game sales in significant ways. People who pirate will pirate. People who don't, won't. Otherwise, GOG.com would not be viable as a completely DRM-free platform.

It's much more about customer relations and building trust than slapping some DRM.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
There is very little evidence that DRM boosts PC game sales in significant ways. People who pirate will pirate. People who don't, won't. Otherwise, GOG.com would not be viable as a completely DRM-free platform.

It's much more about customer relations and building trust than slapping some DRM.
If people who pirate will pirate and people who won't won't then DRM in a game isn't a problem.

Sobrio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I hope this game will sell well on Steam so maybe Sony will think to port other games in the series to PC. But it's more of a dream.

Reactions: Kioku

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the amount of people who think denuvo still impacts performance or think it's a permanent thing when it's now subscription based (which auto removes itself from games if they don't pay up or contract expires) is impressive. it's been proven that when denuvo changed how thier drm works the impact on performance is less than 3 frames. it can still suck for those who don't go online every week for the first few months though

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this game will sell well on Steam so maybe Sony will think to port other games in the series to PC. But it's more of a dream.
Would be interesting to see PS4's Killzone on PC.

I read that that Killzone game isn't very good, but it could open the doors to then port K1-3 (and Vita/PSP games too... Unlikely but who knows).

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have notice, according to the Playstation website, it states 4K 30fps. I'm wondering if the game is locked to 30fps at 4K, or maybe it isn't but the current GPU cannot support 60fps at 4K?

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The game uses the new Direct Storage feature from Microsoft, which allows to directly load data from Nvme to GPU.
Very fast compared to traditional way storage=>cpu=>gpu

I love the quality of Sony ports I already bought Sackboy's Adventure and it's excellent

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If people who pirate will pirate and people who won't won't then DRM in a game isn't a problem.
It is a problem, since it means people who cracked the game get a better experience than the people who paid for it.
DRM hurts performance, game preservation, modding but does nothing against piracy. Not to mention the fact that those DRMs are often kernel-level malwares and also hurt the overall system stability and security.
Denuvo is just the new Securom or GamesForWindowsLive, both didn't prevent piracy at all and just hurted the legitimate customer at the end.

the amount of people who think denuvo still impacts performance or think it's a permanent thing when it's now subscription based (which auto removes itself from games if they don't pay up or contract expires) is impressive. it's been proven that when denuvo changed how thier drm works the impact on performance is less than 3 frames. it can still suck for those who don't go online every week for the first few months though
Denuvo has been proven to affect performance drastically. You just have to play the Game Pass version of a game vs the Denuvo version, and you'll see that performance difference, from my own testing it could go as far as 40fps difference.
Yes, a bunch of Denuvo-infested games are pretty lightweight and well optimized, Hi-fi Rush for instance or Atomic Heart. But that isn't an excuse to waste performance and at the same time increase the system requirements for no reasons, just to bundle a malware.
Denuvo claims they've improved performance and what not, but we've yet to see this actually be true. Weirdly enough we got no news on that supposed experiment by Denuvo to showcase it doesn't impact much, wonder why :P
(Note that it would've been untrustworthy anyways, by the obvious conflict of interest from the people doing the benchmarks)

Though iirc, it doesn't auto-remove itself, though it is true that it is subscription-based (which makes it even more of a scam to buy in the first place lmao). From what i know, the game just won't boot if the publisher stops paying rather than the DRM self-uninstalling itself.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a problem, since it means people who cracked the game get a better experience than the people who paid for it.
DRM hurts performance, game preservation, modding but does nothing against piracy. Not to mention the fact that those DRMs are often kernel-level malwares and also hurt the overall system stability and security.
Denuvo is just the new Securom or GamesForWindowsLive, both didn't prevent piracy at all and just hurted the legitimate customer at the end.

Denuvo has been proven to affect performance drastically. You just have to play the Game Pass version of a game vs the Denuvo version, and you'll see that performance difference, from my own testing it could go as far as 40fps difference.
Yes, a bunch of Denuvo-infested games are pretty lightweight and well optimized, Hi-fi Rush for instance or Atomic Heart. But that isn't an excuse to waste performance and at the same time increase the system requirements for no reasons, just to bundle a malware.
Denuvo claims they've improved performance and what not, but we've yet to see this actually be true. Weirdly enough we got no news on that supposed experiment by Denuvo to showcase it doesn't impact much, wonder why :P
(Note that it would've been untrustworthy anyways, by the obvious conflict of interest from the people doing the benchmarks)

Though iirc, it doesn't auto-remove itself, though it is true that it is subscription-based (which makes it even more of a scam to buy in the first place lmao). From what i know, the game just won't boot if the publisher stops paying rather than the DRM self-uninstalling itself.
gamepass versions of games on pc routinely do worse than on steam. the amount of games that refused to load on my pc there but worked via steam has been 16 so far.

HRudyPlayZ

Trophies
XP
Country
France
gamepass versions of games on pc routinely do worse than on steam. the amount of games that refused to load on my pc there but worked via steam has been 16 so far.
Oh gamepass has its own issues, it is also a pretty crappy DRM.
But for raw performance, assuming you got the game working and all, Denuvo has more impact.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh gamepass has its own issues, it is also a pretty crappy DRM.
But for raw performance, assuming you got the game working and all, Denuvo has more impact.
all you've effectively said is denuvo no different than gamepass. both are drm. both, when used improperly, break games. However the big difference is I've never met a game that was made unplayable by denuvo

HRudyPlayZ

Trophies
XP
Country
France
all you've effectively said is denuvo no different than gamepass. both are drm. both, when used improperly, break games. However the big difference is I've never met a game that was made unplayable by denuvo
Both use malicious DRMs, iirc Game Pass uses UWP and Denuvo, well Denuvo.
Those DRMs can hurt the performance similarly, that being said UWP has got softer with its performance impact over the years, way more than Denuvo.
Both should be a black flag for a game to not be worth buying. And they shouldn't be treated much differently, both of those you don't own the game, both of those are on a timer before your game is locked-down...

That being said where the Game Pass versions run worse at times, the Denuvo version will almost always run worse. As for games being unplayable, technically the frequent Denuvo server crashes make those games unplayable when they occur, so there's that.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the issue is the term "worse" is subjective. like was it made unplayable? do you have spotty internet and are failing checks on your single player game? is it only a couple fps dropped? denuvo checks every 2 weeks and sends out a couple kilobytes to it's server in it's current iteration. it also auto deletes itself on a check if it knows the game no longer has a contract with denuvo. usually this time frame is 6 months. so a lot of the time the store page will say it uses denuvo but it's already gone.

if you don't believe me you can ask the head person of special K. kal has been very outspoken about how superfluous denuvo is on pcs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto