Hardware For those suffering from left Joycon issues, soldering a wire will fix the issue.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. Good to know. I just expected a lot more talk about the problem after release if it was widespread problem. So I was wondering.
I am sittingg about 3 meters away but probably my knee don't block.

Well for one it doesn't seem to be an issue with most people, although nintendo are aware of it. After reading all the other issues on the Nintendo tech support forums (blue screens, error codes, fan noise, buzzing in headphones, scratched screens, dead pixels, overheating) I am glad that this was the only issue I had. And it's really not even an issue for me since I will probably never remove those joycons from the console ever again.

Go to the forums and check out some of the other issues, the lack of quality control or substandard manufacturing process involved with the Switch is pretty disheartening.

At least the batteries aren't exploding. (lolz Samsung)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I've had some left joycon issues of my own. Granted my Switch is positioned next to a bunch of wires, which Nintendo recommends against due to interference of the joycon signals. Anyways, sitting on my couch with controller in my lap, I get intermittent issues, but if I just raise it up a little bit (as my Switch is on a countertop) the issue goes away.

If that was the case though, in Nintendo's recommendations, then wouldn't I also have issues with the right controller? Or the pro controller? Why is it only the left controller? I think that was just a quick response from Nintendo to show that they are looking into it. Kinda like when you tell your IT guy you have a problem and they tell you to reboot the computer, 90% of the time it will fix your problem.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that was the case though, in Nintendo's recommendations, then wouldn't I also have issues with the right controller? Or the pro controller? Why is it only the left controller? I think that was just a quick response from Nintendo to show that they are looking into it. Kinda like when you tell your IT guy you have a problem and they tell you to reboot the computer, 90% of the time it will fix your problem.
I'm not saying that it's the sole cause of the issue, but that it probably contributes. if, hypothetically, the left joycon's design made it work from, say, 5 meters without interference while the right joycon works from 10 meters without interference, then when you sit at 4 meters you may still have issues with the left joycon if there is intereference in the form of some relatively high current wires.

As a matter of fact, my Switch is next to a speaker that has often suffered from interference and will start crackling. I would not be surprised to find out there was an unusually strong electromagnetic field emanating from said speaker (actually, it's a subwoofer)

iceberg303

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for one it doesn't seem to be an issue with most people, although nintendo are aware of it. After reading all the other issues on the Nintendo tech support forums (blue screens, error codes, fan noise, buzzing in headphones, scratched screens, dead pixels, overheating) I am glad that this was the only issue I had. And it's really not even an issue for me since I will probably never remove those joycons from the console ever again.

Go to the forums and check out some of the other issues, the lack of quality control or substandard manufacturing process involved with the Switch is pretty disheartening.

At least the batteries aren't exploding. (lolz Samsung)

Nintendo's recommendations are a blanket to cover all possible types of interference they think might be present. It's their way of not directly admitting there is a problem. In reality the position of your hand and the location of the antenna in the left joycon puts your hand in a position that can block enough RF signal to cause it to drop out. Adding an appropriate length of wire will increase the gain of the signal just enough to help the signal get through or around your hand.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"we could remove this metal box [next to the antenna]", said metal box looking like a RF shield/can, or else a heatsink, and almost certainly not a strength/rigidity feature like was speculated. I am not sure I care to take RF repair advice from one such as that.
Fortunately I was only one minute in before that was spouted. Perhaps someone more masochistic than I will watch the whole thing but I feel confident stopping there.

Reactions: tbb043

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is hard to say if this is substandard. They sold many units in just a few days. It would be a surprise if there were no problems in the support forum. Of course there shouldn't be any problems at all, but there are always some.

Yes I agree there are sure to be one or two issues with some devices but it's the range of different issues that's concerning me.

"we could remove this metal box [next to the antenna]", said metal box looking like a RF shield/can, or else a heatsink, and almost certainly not a strength/rigidity feature like was speculated. I am not sure I care to take RF repair advice from one such as that.
Fortunately I was only one minute in before that was spouted. Perhaps someone more masochistic than I will watch the whole thing but I feel confident stopping there.

Well he did say not to even try it so, there you go. Without tinkerers like this guy we would not have many of the things we enjoy on a daily basis. So I choose to show at least a little respect.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though poor video editing/scripting skills are not reason enough for me to dismiss something that it was uttered in the first place is enough for me.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo Fanboys. Switch is a piece of crap and everyone knows it. Just wait for all the paid reviewers and advertising dies down.

I'm quite enjoying my "piece of crap", only reason I bought it was for an open world Zelda game and maybe a Mario Party down the road. The rest that comes is just gravy for me. Although I am a bit disappointed that I can't watch my pr0n on it yet.

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why try to fix it urself and loose warranty... just call nintendo for a fix?

The main question now is, do you want to send your device in and wait a few weeks, or do you want to quickly fix the issue and void the warranty?

I'm quite enjoying my "piece of crap", only reason I bought it was for an open world Zelda game and maybe a Mario Party down the road. The rest that comes is just gravy for me. Although I am a bit disappointed that I can't watch my pr0n on it yet.
I thought you can. It was proven that the web applet that comes with the v2.0.0 can watch anything.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The main question now is, do you want to send your device in and wait a few weeks, or do you want to quickly fix the issue and void the warranty?

I thought you can. It was proven that the web applet that comes with the v2.0.0 can watch anything.

If it was a real problem for me that stopped me from enjoying playing I would most likely void the warranty on the $80 joycons. Or go and buy the $80 pro controller which is what I did.

You mean without using a proxy portal or redirecting DNS?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck awesome! Once nintendo fixes the manufacturing process I can just go buy new joycons, swap them with the stock ones I have and return them haha! So glad it's not the console itself.

Make sure to return them as defective, so they don't just put themback on the shelves but return them to Nintendo. Don't want some poor sucker stuck with your broken sloppy seconds.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
easy fix.
I can see some joycon 2.0 coming out with a simply wire solder in.
They would probably also take in people joycons for a week or 2 while they solder a wire and ship it back to them if they complain enough about it not working lol...

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easiest fix...send the damn thing back to Nintendo. Don't be dumb and kill your warranty on a system that's only a few days old.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle