FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Scrubbing basics:
Wii isos have game data on them. This data is signed to make sure it is not changed, only Nintendo can sign it properly but they messed up the check in earlier firmware versions and we can make it so that is appears to be signed (well enough to fool the very broken check in earlier versions: http://hackmii.com/2008/04/keys-keys-keys/ and http://debugmo.de/?p=61 explain that one).

This game data need not take up the entire disc which is a set size.

Unlike DS roms where the extra space is at the end of the file the wii has it throughout the disc and as such all wii isos are the same size (once dual layer and single layer have been accounted for).

In most cases this extra space is essentially random data which can not be compressed via normal (zip/rar/7zip) methods.

This extra space is also not covered by the wii signing so you can change it as much as you want without issue.

The wii scrubber on the most basic mode replaces the random data with 00's (long chains of which are trivial to compress)

The iso is unchanged however in any way that matters to the game or the wii.

The wii scrubber will leave the iso unchanged in file size which is kind of useless on the face of it but now you can compress it in a zip/rar/7z or you can use a drive space compression program (windows/ntfs has one inbuilt), you can use a transparent compression method (many apps allow you to browse zip files as you would directories) or you can do something like put the big wii iso (as a whole file) into a compressed iso format and then put this new compressed iso into a fake drive like one daemon tools gives you (this will mean on the drive you computer and more importantly the flatmii software will "see" the full iso but in reality it will still be compressed).

"regardless of which IOS I am using"
I will have to ask you about this one, do you mean IOS as in the small operating systems used by most wii code to interact with the hardware or was that a typo and you meant to put ISO?
To answer that one Flatmii is a drive replacement (as far as the wii is concerned it is a normal drive working how it is supposed to), it uses your PC to do some of the hard work of emulating the wii drive and the chip to do the rest. As we do not know the communication protocols between the USB port and the flatmii we have to use the software from the flatmii team, this software will only load straight up wii and GC isos (which come with a .iso extension format) and as scrubbed discs are still perfectly valid as far as the wii is concerned.

A note, some scrubbed discs can remove updates and the like from the disc. This breaks the signing of the disc and we then have to "fakesign" it but as long as your wii will accept it (any wii below 3.2, you can hack 3.3 and 3.4 (all versions) to accept it and 4.0 is presently unhackable unless you updated via homebrew methods).

cup9192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, getting caught up in some of this terminology. By IOS, I was actually referring to the firmware version. Perhaps that was wrong of me.

Thank you for the detailed response though. You have been very helpful, and I appreciate your time!

farseerat

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Flatmii and I recently downloaded an ISO that said it was compressed and it wouldn't run on my Wii, I have never come across this before, can someone please help me? Thanks.

Slipurson

Trophies
Website
www.slipurson.nu
XP
Country
I have heard that flatmii should not work with compressed ISOs, but I have several that are compressed and there are only sofar 2 games that i havnt got working with flatmii, tales of symphonia and a baseball-game, what game is it that you have problems with?

I use a folder with activated compression in windows to store my ISOs so i save alot of space that way, atm i have in one folder 100 ISOs that should take 431GB but takes 304GB

farseerat

Trophies
XP
Country
The game I downloaded was The Conduit. I'm new to the whole compressing thing but the game came as a RAR file and when extracted the game was an ISO file that was the exact same size as a normal uncompressed game, is that normal?

Slipurson

Trophies
Website
www.slipurson.nu
XP
Country
The version of The Conduit that i have downloaded worked just fine, tho it might be problems if u download a NTSC version of the game and try to run it on a PAL Wii, but usualy it works fine with changing the region of the ISO with RegionFrii, also make sure that the flatmii software is set to force region EUR (think that should work for you also in Australia)

RegionFrii is easy to use, just open the ISO with it and select a new region and click "update ISO" takes about a second and then its done
smile.gif

the issues i have had with a couple of games is that my wii shows the game as inserted and i can click start, but then it wont load at all, if thats the error you have, i suggest downloading another version of the game.

Slipurson

Trophies
Website
www.slipurson.nu
XP
Country
Having the ISOs in a compressed folder on a Harddrive doesnt take up that much more space, also hard-drives aint that expensive
smile.gif

for me the flatmii-chip is way easier to use than any loader or homebrew etc.. no hussle, no need for new loader, updated IOS etc when there is a new firmware.. just upgrade the wii and keep loading them ISOfiles through flatmii
tongue.gif

USB-Loader use: (more or less each time there is a firmware release)
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack (v1.1+IOS rev 9)
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

Flatmii use: (only once)
-Open Wii, need special screwdriver - €3
-Install solderless chip
-Close Wii
-Play

I can see ppl not wanting to break their wii open, but to me its safer (in terms of bricking) to install a solderless chip than installing a set of hacked files
smile.gif

farseerat

Trophies
XP
Country
The version I have is PAL and it is having the problem where it loads and I can click it but then it won't run. Do you have much experience using WiiScrubber? I'm curious to know if this problem could be solved using WiiScrubber. If not, I can download the game again but if I do it now I will cap my internet, that's the only problem.

Slipurson

Trophies
Website
www.slipurson.nu
XP
Country
I have never actually used WiiScrubber, but i dont think it would help, afaik the scrubber takes away trashdata in the ISO, but you never know, it could help. Could it be that your Wii isnt updated to the latest FW maybe, since Flatmii by default is blocking updates, but then again more ppl would have problems with it since quite a few havnt updated to lastest FW.

But the problem you describe is the one i have with NTSC versions, have tried around 120 games and among them The Conduit and it worked without problems, i cant really remember what version i downloaded, but i think it was the SUSHi version, scrubbed (2.78GB).

farseerat

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I was just wondering if I would be able to decompress it or something but I really have no idea about this sort of stuff. I think my Wii is updated fully. I downloaded the "[WII]The Conduit [PAL][ESPALWII.com].rar" version. I guess I'll just download the SUSHi version next month. Thanks for your help Slipurson.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol