Hacking Flashme may be incompatible with a few games.

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a G6 Lite with DSL/flashme.

Japanese puzzle series (Jigsaw) 0534 and 0535 will lock up after the main menu after you click "Touch to start" and the next screen comes up with two icons to select. Selecting either one crashes the DS with a blank screen and frozen sound.

Using a passcard3 to boot the DS and both games work perfectly.

Workaround:
Insert passcard 3 into a flashed DSL and hold down SELECT when powering on; this will avoid flashme and the passcard will boot and the games will work.
(I used flashme stealth, I would guess regular flashme would work too).

There is a chance this is an obscure problem with the U-disk manager support for these games, but since the games start, it looks more like an issue with flashme. Let's hope it's a bug and easily fixable with a V8 flashme (if it's even being worked on), and not some clever trick programmers did to detect a firmware difference between a flashed DS and a stock DS...

(The fact that the games DO work with a passcard is good news and does point more to a flashme bug or incompatibilty rather to deliberate breaking of games on non stock hardware).

But this is bad news for people who tossed their passcards already...

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is a very interesting problem, I may give it a try with my equipment @ home to see what happens if I got free time....the ds scene may prove to get more interesting if the developers has come up with a clever way to detect flashme....although I find it unlikely it only picks out flashme as opposed to passme devices. By any chance, have you tried to boot up the game with flashme and then putting a real game in the ds slot to see if you still have that problem? Just a thought....might have some kind of implementation like the ds goes to sleep mode.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess what? It may mess with GBA compatability too. I would like more people to try Racing Gears Advance on their flased DS. Works fine for me on my G6L (not flashed) I have read a lot of reports (ok, 4 or 5) of other G6 lites with flashed DS that it does not work. We need data.

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess what? It may mess with GBA compatability too. I would like more people to try Racing Gears Advance on their flased DS. Works fine for me on my G6L (not flashed) I have read a lot of reports (ok, 4 or 5) of other G6 lites with flashed DS that it does not work. We need data.

Well it works fine on my flashed DSL, G6 Lite.
I'm using firmware 4.0 beta (english/chinese) right now. I don't feel like flashing an update just to check this game. Maybe someone else can try it...

(copied the game with the 4.3a u-disk manager).
But obviously flashme has -nothing- to do with GBA compatibility. RSA code is for DS only.

Anyone having problems is either (1) trying to use RT saves, 2) using compression, 3) using either an incompatible firmware or u-disk. It's probably 1 or 3.

*Edit*
I just had it crash once.
But I think that was the G6L's fault.
I had just finished testing that puzzle game (0534) by trying to boot it with a regular DS game in the slot 1, and it crashed after the main menu of the 0534 jigsaw game, of course, then when I tried to reboot the G6 Lite, it simply froze on the "touchpad" screen.

I did two more reboots and it kept freezing.
I'm assuming that the sram got corrupted or something because of the game crashing
smile.gif

I then forced GBA mode by holding down select and selecting GBA mode on the NDS main menu, GBA booted up, I chose racing gears, and was greeted to a black screen and a bunch of screeching sounds :-)

When I rebooted the G6 again, it worked fine.

*EDIT*

FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM WITH RACING GEARS.
(and this explains why it works all the time with a passcard 3).

Do the following:
1) Boot flashed DSL to NDS menu.
2) Play a NDS game.
3) Power off the NDS, then power it on into GBA mode directly (through flashme hotkey press)--OR-- power it on with the SELECT Key then choose GBA mode from the NDS's main menu (not the G6L main menu).
4) "please waiting" or "Processing data" will appear after the green disclaimer. It will take longer than usual (as it's backing up the NDS Sram).
5) Start up racing gears advance ------> CRASH.

But instead do the following:
1) as above.
2) as above.
3) Power off, but THIS TIME, boot it AGAIN into NDS mode with your G6 Lite.
4) It will say "please waiting" in NDS mode. Now enter GBA mode from here.
5) Racing gears will not crash.

So, the crash seems to only happen if you go from playing a game in NDS mode to *BOOTING* in GBA mode directly.

One side effect of this is I found if you're using older firmware and a NDS game crashes, it may lock up the G6 until you "free" the sram by booting in GBA Mode @_@

Anyway this proves it's not a problem with the flashed DS.
In fact, if you remove the passcard and booted directly into gba mode after playing a NDS game, Racing Gears would probably crash there, too. (would be interesting for someone with an unflashed DS to test that).

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a very interesting problem, I may give it a try with my equipment @ home to see what happens if I got free time....the ds scene may prove to get more interesting if the developers has come up with a clever way to detect flashme....although I find it unlikely it only picks out flashme as opposed to passme devices. By any chance, have you tried to boot up the game with flashme and then putting a real game in the ds slot to see if you still have that problem? Just a thought....might have some kind of implementation like the ds goes to sleep mode.

Those two Japanese puzzle games crash if you do NOT boot it up with a passcard on a flashed DS. Putting a game in the slot 1 does nothing. You _have_ to boot with the passcard by holding down select and putting your passcard 3 in the slot 1.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, was worth a shot, thought it might have been looking for some kind of signature from an original game @ certain points, that's why it crashes....kind of like sleep mode crashing without a passcard or an original game. And I heard you the first time about the games crashing without a passcard. I just thought the reason those games ran wasn't merely because the passme device is a passcard yet because there's actually a real game in slot 1.

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well really when you think about it only good things can come from this..It gives the author of flashme a reason to update and maybe release flashme v8...But i think at this point a way to reinstall original firmware on a ndsl is more important

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i hope so.../ but i dont really mind as im returning my white ndsl in about 15 days to get a black one...if anythign goes wrong with that one then i will worry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it