Hacking Flashcart for 3DS that does not require an original DS to update?

Timrod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a 3DS XL a couple of weeks ago. I updated it to the most recent firmware. I used to have a regular DS, which has since been given to a younger cousin.

I have a Supercard DSTwo, but it apparently cannot update to be compatible with the most recent firmware without having an original DS. Are there any carts right now that are compatible with the 3DS XL that do not need an original DS to update?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually the dstwo can update with the 3dsxl even on a new firmware. You need to rename the dstwoupdate.dat file to dstwoupdateb.dat, stick it in the root of your micro sd card. try to run the cart and you will get the blocking error message. Just keep the 3ds on for at least 3 mins, and your card will be updated (it uses the power of the 3ds to complete the update, do not turn it off early). You will not see any progress bar or any notice of the update being completed, when enough time has passed, just turn off your 3ds, DELETE the dstwoupdateb.dat file and turn your 3ds back on

Reactions: Another World

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Supercard DSTWO has the "ALEX RIDER" icon u can update it on any 3ds with the alternative method. u take the update file and slap a b in the file name before the extension and then put it in the 3ds boot up your 3ds and boot the ds2 and let it sit on the error screen for a good 5-8 mins as it is updating then reboot and it will work.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You don't specifically need an original model DS. You simply need any DS that hasn't been updated to block the cart, and the orignal DS has no updates at all. That's why people suggest having a DS or DS Lite around, because for some reason people keep updating their fucking 3DS systems, and that's not possible to do on an original DS...

The DSTwo is one of the only carts that can update without needing to be run normally*, but it's not perfect and should not be relied on. The best bet is to never update your 3DS first.

As for the rest (physical adapters and such), as far as I know the only other ones stopped getting updates a long time ago and won't work on the latest 3DS update anyways.

RainFall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method would not work for me. Anyone know why? 3DS XL w/ mario kart bundle and DS TWO card. Did everything as mentioned. Changed the filename to b, let it sit for 15-20 mins, still get the same error.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This method would not work for me. Anyone know why? 3DS XL w/ mario kart bundle and DS TWO card. Did everything as mentioned. Changed the filename to b, let it sit for 15-20 mins, still get the same error.
You changed the file name to 'b'?
It should be 'dstwoupdateb.dat' and it should be in the root of the µSD card.
Then you run the DSTWO as a you would a normal game and let it sit for about 10 minutes on the error screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/N0Gm4uiJXfM?si=_w5BPSd6YLbTuzt3