Flashcart for 3DS that does not require an original DS to update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Timrod, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Timrod
    OP

Newcomer Timrod Member

United States
    So I bought a 3DS XL a couple of weeks ago. I updated it to the most recent firmware. I used to have a regular DS, which has since been given to a younger cousin.

I have a Supercard DSTwo, but it apparently cannot update to be compatible with the most recent firmware without having an original DS. Are there any carts right now that are compatible with the 3DS XL that do not need an original DS to update?

2. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Im almost positive that you HAVE to have a ds/dsi to update a flashcard. Try borrowiing one from a friend.

3. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    There is no way to update it with a 3DS system that has the latest firmware on.

4. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Since you've already updated to the latest firmware, then NO. There is no other way around it.

5. Morbidcrab

Banned Morbidcrab Banned

United States
    I see what you did there.

6. rdurbin

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    actually the dstwo can update with the 3dsxl even on a new firmware. You need to rename the dstwoupdate.dat file to dstwoupdateb.dat, stick it in the root of your micro sd card. try to run the cart and you will get the blocking error message. Just keep the 3ds on for at least 3 mins, and your card will be updated (it uses the power of the 3ds to complete the update, do not turn it off early). You will not see any progress bar or any notice of the update being completed, when enough time has passed, just turn off your 3ds, DELETE the dstwoupdateb.dat file and turn your 3ds back on

Another World likes this.
  7. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    If the Supercard DSTWO has the "ALEX RIDER" icon u can update it on any 3ds with the alternative method. u take the update file and slap a b in the file name before the extension and then put it in the 3ds boot up your 3ds and boot the ds2 and let it sit on the error screen for a good 5-8 mins as it is updating then reboot and it will work.

8. Derek D

Newcomer Derek D Member

China
    Yeah, I've tested it. it cost about 10 mins. Amazing!!!

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You don't specifically need an original model DS. You simply need any DS that hasn't been updated to block the cart, and the orignal DS has no updates at all. That's why people suggest having a DS or DS Lite around, because for some reason people keep updating their fucking 3DS systems, and that's not possible to do on an original DS...

The DSTwo is one of the only carts that can update without needing to be run normally*, but it's not perfect and should not be relied on. The best bet is to never update your 3DS first.

As for the rest (physical adapters and such), as far as I know the only other ones stopped getting updates a long time ago and won't work on the latest 3DS update anyways.

10. YamiHoshi.nl

Member YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Japan
    A Flash Card for 3DS that does not require an original DS to Update?
    Then how about original DS games?
    They'll work forever, and need no Updating.

TheDreamLord likes this.
  11. RainFall

Newcomer RainFall Newbie

United States
    This method would not work for me. Anyone know why? 3DS XL w/ mario kart bundle and DS TWO card. Did everything as mentioned. Changed the filename to b, let it sit for 15-20 mins, still get the same error.

12. Aeter

Member Aeter A walking contradiction

Netherlands
    You changed the file name to 'b'?
    It should be 'dstwoupdateb.dat' and it should be in the root of the µSD card.
    Then you run the DSTWO as a you would a normal game and let it sit for about 10 minutes on the error screen.