Hacking Flash cart patches to "defeat" DSi 1.4 update illegal?

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that none of the DSi flash cart official sites (at least, not the ones I've visited so far) have any downloads for firmware updates that will circumvent Nintendo's version 1.4 update for the DSi. The updates are hosted at mediafire.com and filefactory.com--anywhere but the official flash cart sites.

I also noticed that after patching the flash cart hardware to "defeat" the 1.4 update, the cart spoofs a legitimate game, like Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle.

Could it be that the flash cart manufacturers haven't announced the 1.4 workarounds or hosted the relevant files because those files are illegal? Maybe the 1.4 workarounds incorporate copyrighted code?

I'm just curious about this from a technical perspective. Also, I figure the flash cart manufacturer that can keep things legit for the longest (while still defeating Nintendo's anti-piracy measures) will be the last manufacturer that the Big N aims their big guns at.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the general idea was that that's how the cards were bypassing 1.4 and because it was copyrighted code, it wasn't as legal as other updates (that's what I gather from reading anyway). Hopefully there will be a way to bypass this little snag in time...

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
It's pretty clear the FW updates come from cart manufacturers, however none of them wants to take responsibility for it, because it contains copyrighted code all over. So they just release it into the wild on some obscure forum, while their web site still says they are working on it. Some of them even went so far as to fake a Star Wars game,which will be difficult to block by Nintendo.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, they might even be able to boot carts into dsi mode when a dsi game gets released
if it uses the same files a basic nds game does or similar they could just write up a boot loader update from that and blamo dsi homebrew.
though this is all just a educated guess unless nintendo ads extra boot parameter it looks for in game or hardware of the carts wise.

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninty theoretically can't add a hardware check because of all the old DS only titles that don't have the hardware to support this. And yes, maybe it will be that easy
biggrin.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Leonidas said:
It's pretty clear the FW updates come from cart manufacturers, however none of them wants to take responsibility for it, because it contains copyrighted code all over. So they just release it into the wild on some obscure forum, while their web site still says they are working on it. Some of them even went so far as to fake a Star Wars game,which will be difficult to block by Nintendo.

Why is a Star Wars game any more difficult to block than another game? They all "faked" a game i.e. stole the icon and text and probably some other copyrighted code, what makes you say it will be more difficult to block one that is copied from a Star Wars game?

eighty4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why it being legal really matters, when the only reason you get a flashcart is to pirate games. Nobody buys a flashcart solely for homebrew.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eighty4 said:
I don't see why it being legal really matters, when the only reason you get a flashcart is to pirate games. Nobody buys a flashcart solely for homebrew.

I would say that is untrue. I currently use a Max Media Dock for homebrew, but I have been long considering upgrading to a DSTT or AK2i, and I would never dream of pirating. I may make some legal backups of games I own (and I would make them myself with my MMD), but I would not pirate. And the main use would still be homebrew. I would only use it to boot NDS games because it can, I would not be buying it for that reason.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No it isnt. BTW, I'm not in US, so you cant quote US laws against me. Anyway, I DONT backup my games and play them, I'm saying I MAY if I got a flashcart that could. And I would still be getting it for homebrew, and would be unwilling to do anything illegal e.g. have a copyrighted bootloader from an official game.

eighty4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, my fault then. Anyways, it illegal in the US however. But on a new level, that's one out of thousands, maybe millions of people. If you buy a flashcart, the majority is getting it for pirating games.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i dont see why they care if its illigal the acekard and m3 team and everybody elise but their peoduct is illigal in general so why would they give a shit

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yea the reason why the m3 team, acekard team, etc dont post it on the website is for that reason. Instead they use another "host" website to post the 1.4 workaround. This makes it safer for them to post it since they cannot get in trouble for it because there is no proof. AND to IFISH: actually all the flashcards are not illegal in any way, its the way that most people use it that makes it illegal.(ROMS for example. Computer have illegal purposes, but they are not illegal to use and own, neither are flashcards.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
it's like a knife. it's illegal to carry it around town when it's safe to use it in the kitchen. if you want to kill someone with a knife, you will be in prison for using a knife at someone. same with flashcarts, it's legal to own one but it's illegal to use or put downloaded games.

UPDATE: You cant say "Im not killing someone" when you're holding a knife out in the streets. They'll think you are a killer or wans o kill someone or you have intentions.

The case with M3i Zero is that they removed the copyrighted material so it's safe to travel around the world where wopyrighted material are protected. It's the user's obligation to use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.