Flash Card..

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Fatmike1993, Aug 3, 2012.

Aug 3, 2012

Flash Card.. by Fatmike1993 at 2:22 PM (683 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Fatmike1993
    OP

Newcomer Fatmike1993 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Whats actually the best card to get? would it be the DSTwo? seems this one gets the most credit for compatibity and usage? and is this card (http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=135) offical?

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    The DS2 is a good choice if you're thinking of a flashcart purchase.

3. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  4. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    DSTwo

R4i Gold created by R4ids.cn

id say Acekard too but as there taking forever on there updates to work on the 3ds they arnt that great anymore

5. Fatmike1993
    OP

Newcomer Fatmike1993 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    well i want to play on my 3ds xl and my r4i recently bricked so im weary of buying another one of those it was the one from r4igold.com with the "update reader" usb thing but it doesnt work when i try to update it to fix brick

6. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    this is teh problem
    alot of people have gone for the same name but r4ids.cn's one is the best cart for a budget price

they like Supercard (DSTwo creators) do 3DS/DSi firmware updates fixes in under 24hrs
    aceakrd still haven't fixed the latest one and its been weeks

so if money to spend and wan tthe best card
    Supercard DSTwo
    http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=135

wanna save a bit and have an awesome card
    R4ids.cn R4i Gold
    http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

just because the names are similar they are in no way related
    just people trying to make it sound like the good cards, crafty ol chinese

7. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    You should note that the Acekard team isn't a bad team, the reason they take forever is because they're trying to be strategic with their updates. There's only so few games they can use to spoof the security and at some point in time they'll run out. The Acekard team wants to make sure they can maximize the life of their card by waiting to see if Nintendo will release another update close to their latest so they don't have to essentially waste a possible game because 2 weeks later Nintendo sends out another update.

8. VMM

Member VMM Full Hollow Cero

Brazil
    But sometimes it doesn't work at all,
    like the past time they updated to v4.2.0-9 and 3DS updated their firmware in just few days.

In my opinion, Nintendo can do this whenever they want,
    and waiting will not make any advantage.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Keyword sometimes. That's like the only time it's happened AFAIK. It's not about getting an advantage, it's about giving the card a longer life.

10. VMM

Member VMM Full Hollow Cero

Brazil
    Having longer life, but being blocked in the most time of it's life isn't a good thing unless there is something more in there.
    I'd understand if they said they were making the AK2i life longer to release their next flashcard just when 3DS gets hacked.
    But there is nothing showing that this hack could be even close, and them It looks almost without purpose making it.

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Back when I was mag staff I was given information from people who dissect and study flash carts. According to them...

Class1 carts have trouble updating and are more limited in the games they can use, while the higher classes have an easier time (assuming the cart has support). This is reflected in the update speed, as we've seen.

This generally is about bootloader space and complexity. For example the AK2i can be read without a MicroSD because it stores all the needed boot information onboard, while the DSTwo cannot be read without a MicroSD in it because it pulls some of the boot info from the MicroSD. This means bootloader updates to the AK2i need to be flashed, while the DSTwo can actually change the given information on boot without having to flash the system, in an emergency. In addition more space for the boot code means that more data can be stored, this is likely the reason the HWID44 AK2i can't update anymore while the later ones can (the HW44 has less internal space, it seems). Carts with more space and such don't have as many limits in the number of possible game headers to use.

As far as I'm concerned, the R4i Gold > AK2i in terms of updates. Never thought I would have said something like this a year ago...