SerenadedAbyss

OP
Trophies
Website
rius09-eternal.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm new here... and I need a little bit of help on deciding which flash cart I should get...

I have started out with the Datel Games n' Music... and of course I know it sucks... its homebrew support is horrible. So wanted to buy something else... I have looked and have done hours of research and I have narrowed it down between three...

1. R4

2. TTDS (Toy Top DS... I think?)

3. CycloDS Evolution

I don't want to mess with slot two devices because its just to much of a hassle for me... and I like to keep my ram expansion pak in that slot.

As of right now... prices is not that big of a deal (but I don't want to spend too much)... but I have looked around... and still don't know what site to get the will be decided device from. So... could someone help me decide on which and also recommend a site in which I could order it from?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Of those three, the CycloDS Evo is the best choice, but DSTT is a great budget cart. The R4 is outdated so I'd recommend not to buy it.

A Scds1 would also be a very good choice comparable to the CycloDS Evo.

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
id go with cyclo evo. great card, great features (real time save that works ie.), great community in their forums.
cant go wrong with it.
be sure to get the latest batch (batch 4).

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The choice is really between (2) and (3), and it depends on how much you're willing to spend. The CycloDS has more bells and whistles, but is more expensive. The DSTT is fast and easy to use.

I got a DSTT because I would personally never use the extra features of the CycloDS because I just want to play games and homebrew. It has a nice cheat system, and all of the other common features that I need. However, if you want to play your games in slow-motion, save your games at any point during the game (rather than just when the game wants you to save), turn on and off cheats during the game (rather than just before you launch the game), etc. then you might consider the CycloDS.

-Bri

aeSentinel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
forums.ds-xtreme.com
XP
Country
The other guys are right. The R4 and M3 are becoming outdated. Get the DSTT if you don't have a lot of cash or the CycloDS if you do. I recommend the CycloDS personally. Great support team and regular updates. Practically perfect ROM compatibility and I haven't come across any homebrew that hasn't worked yet.

Just make sure that no matter what your decision, you buy a good transflash card. Kingston or Sandisk is my recommendation. Most others are inferior and can cause slowdowns and lockups during gameplay.

Orillian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the R4 does not have as many of the features some of these other cards have but in all reality the realtime save and the soft-reset option are the only real features the R4 is lacking, it has 100% homebrew and rom compatibility and has a good cheat system built in.

so yes it is older, but for the price it's still a great product to get, they still keep their compatibility up by putting out any updates needed to maintain that 100% compatibility rating, what more do you want.
tongue.gif

BUT if you have to have all the extras, go with the CycloDS if you can, for the money it's a well built little card and it has EVERYTHING. I use my Cyclo the most but only because I gave the R4 to the wife.
wink.gif

O.

Aahz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been in the market for a new cart as well and was wondering if any of them are truly 100% compatible with the games.(?)

What I mean is; with the R4 I am constantly downloading firmware updates when some new release "white screens". Now the updates may be fairly quick to come about but are there any flashcarts which do not have this same back-and-forth with new game releases requiring firmware updates or is that simply the nature of the beast?

(not meaning to highjack your thread btw...just wondering)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Minox_IX said:
Of those three, the CycloDS Evo is the best choice, but DSTT is a great budget cart. The R4 is outdated so I'd recommend not to buy it.

A Scds1 would also be a very good choice comparable to the CycloDS Evo.

Also, R4s are now considered slightly overpriced, because of the EDGE, SCDS1 SDHC, and DSTT. Those three are better alternatives, and EDGE and DSTTs' are about 4-6 dollars cheaper, with more features. I'd recommend those three instead of a R4. Get a Cyclo if you can afford it.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Aahz said:
I've been in the market for a new cart as well and was wondering if any of them are truly 100% compatible with the games.(?)

What I mean is; with the R4 I am constantly downloading firmware updates when some new release "white screens". Now the updates may be fairly quick to come about but are there any flashcarts which do not have this same back-and-forth with new game releases requiring firmware updates or is that simply the nature of the beast?

(not meaning to highjack your thread btw...just wondering)

I don't think that any cart has 100%, like correct me if I'm wrong though. But the R4's 99.999999% is good enought, isn't it?

SerenadedAbyss

OP
Trophies
Website
rius09-eternal.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow... I forgot about this thread for a while... but anyway... I am surprised that so many replied to this thread...

But anyway... I haven't really researched the Toy Top... and the CylcloDS does have a lot of features I wouldn't really use that much... mostly because I don't like to play roms they take up too much space... and when I do... I don't like the use cheats... had a bad experience with a Action Replay for the GBA...

I'm mostly focused on good homebrew support... I like to try random apps and homebrew games... so... now that I have said what I will really use it for... any suggestions?

Also.... none of you even mentioned a good site to buy this hardware from... does anyone have a clue?

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey I need help on this as well, my friend has been asking me which one to get out of those three. I told her Cyclo cos it's the best on the market so far, but DSTT is acceptable if you're on a tight budget. However, you do miss out on those awesome features. R4 is out of the question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them