Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
178768-flappy-bird-1-1-s-307x512.jpg
For those of you who are unaware, Flappy Bird is the name of the viral game that hit the iOS and Google Play store. Created by Hanoi-based developer Dong Nguyen, it has since become a subject of controversy based on its art style and overall design. The immensely difficult game (tapping the screen to ensure the bird does not hit anything) has actually earned Nguyen tens of thousands of dollars a day, powered by ad revenue. Nguyen has most likely earned enough money from his app to sustain himself for a very long period of time. However, he heavily disliked the notoriety and claimed that he never wanted to be famous because of the game. As a result he is pulling the game down, and cited that it had nothing to do with lawyers or breaking copyrights. As of the article's release, the game is still available.​
As far as I see it, though, the app has a huge chance to be revitalized in future and become a comeback hit. The way I feel is more akin to grabbing attention in a very gripping fashion. Pull the game and people will just want more of it. Who knows how many downloads he's gotten since the announcement of being pulled off has been sent out?​

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
this is an early 2014 game of the year contender? that's it we're done here i'll be waiting for the next apocalypse if you guys need me

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
But everyone who loved this shallow ..app (don't know whether if it can even be called a game: old Nokia 3310 / Atari games had more depth), which is itself a clone of another piece of crap called Piou Piou from 2011 (minus the SMB assets)...
He/She/It can still download the equally shitty dozens of clones that spawned last week from whatever pit of hell.

The second video gaming apocalypse is drawing near...

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I assume Nguyen didn't want to be famous from this game because it's crap, to be blunt.

Yeah, you can like it or whatever but it's cheap and stupid, and represents everything a good game shouldn't be. If I made the game I wouldn't want it to overshadow any future games that actually have had time and effort put into them.

I hate tablet/phone gaming.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think all of the hate is ridiculous, considering it really isn't that bad of a game to begin with. It's a game for smartphones for people who need something to kill time with, jeez. With all of the sudden popularity, the poor guy is getting tired of getting people all up in his business and probably trying to buy the game off of him.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually think it's a good game. It's like that helicopter game that I loved playing. But unlike that game, where it's TOO easy for the first minute or so then just gets ridiculously impossible, flappy is the same difficulty throughout, so you don't need to play it for a minute for the game to start getting hard (fun).

I find it annoying how people can hate it so much. Like its existence is ruining their life or something. If its addictiveness is ruining your life you have no willpower and something is wrong with you :/. You can't hate a game for being addictive...

That being said, it shouldn't be up for game of the year or anything, it's a crap game in terms of replay value and depth, but for something to pick up and play when you're on the toilet, and try and beat your friends high score, it's a good game and worth the FREE download...you can't complain at that price. I think pulling it is a coward move, unless it actually does have something to do with nintendo wanting to sue, then that's okay.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Racking over $50k per day on ad revenue can change anyone's life. The amount may be even more now that the game is getting more publicity. I'm not sure if most people can understand that amount of success and what it can do to you. I mean, he made about 400k this week alone.

As for the game being pulled, could be both: An attempt to get more publicity for the game or he really just want to forget it and move forward. Not like he really needs to get more money from the game anymore. Maybe he'll just focus on something else.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Racking over $50k per day on ad revenue can change anyone's life. The amount may be even more now that the game is getting more publicity. I'm not sure if most people can understand that amount of success and what it can do to you. I mean, he made about 400k this week alone.

As for the game being pulled, could be both: An attempt to get more publicity for the game or he really just want to forget it and move forward. Not like he really needs to get more money from the game anymore. Maybe he'll just focus on something else.
Really? Methinks if he wants to forget it he'd have pulled the app silently.... plus I heard he lives in Vietnam, where the average monthly salary is just over $200, and he's raking in $50k per day - clever bloke, he's already got enough to retire: just one final ad revenue push, wipe himself off the planet (coz let's face it, the game is wank), job done!

You could also add another theory onto that: game looks styled a bit too similar to a certain Nintendo game - bloke gets a C&D so pulls this headline stunt off, makes more than enough to set up himself, family, pet gerbils etc for life, and we never see nor hear from him again!

Gotta give the guy kudos, he knows what he's doing! ...Not that I'm gonna rush to my android and redownload the pile of shite anytime soon out of respect of course....:lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1