Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    how tf

3. CrossOut

CrossOut GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I bet that there will be an update from Nintendo to address this much like there has been 2 offcial framware updates for Vita even though it is a dead system here in the western world.

4. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    No Internet connection though :rofl2:

MarcusCarter, codezer0 and raxadian like this.
  5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Since the console can't use Internet, the only way for Nintendo to update it would be to release a game disk that does it. But both the Wii and DS network died un 2014 so why would they bother?

Tumoche and Draxikor like this.
  6. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Well, once the exploit is public an Internet IOS install and GC support will be available for it hopefully.

7. CrossOut

CrossOut GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I had no clue that it has gone offline altogether hahaa. Perhaps this will be the only hack that wont ever get a patch if thats the case then?

8. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Nintendo should hang it up now. There's no way to come back from this. Everyone in the 'just dance' and ''penguins of madagascar' discord servers is relishing about not needing to buy the new games next year so i doubt Nintendo will be able to keep their doors open. Congrats hackers and all you end users who like to "not be locked out of a device that Iiiiii paid for, blah blah"

Rail Fighter likes this.
  9. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    The DSi isn't getting more updates too.

10. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    @retrofan_k Well i mean the GC ports like controllers and MC

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You can install them if you want and are skilled enough ;) (just like on an horizontal wii)

12. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Native GCN support on the mini is a hardware issue, not software. MIOS and all the rest of it are there, but the drive rejects GCN discs and the ports and memory card slots aren't soldered to the board. Getting Nintendont to work (since it does literally the exact opposite of backwards compatibility in providing a compatibility layer to make GameCube games forwards compatible with the Wii) would just be a matter of installing a custom channel (the Homebrew Channel) with AHBPROT disabled - the mini already uses IOS 58 (Unless I'm so wrong that I may as well burn my power user hat), has a USB port, and Bluetooth support.

The Internet IOS would be better off modded to prevent it from crashing if no USB Ethernet adapter or internal Wi-Fi radio is detected - Nintendo being too lazy to do that is why the mini has no Internet at all out of the box. Ironic, because that's the only thing I can think of as to why it would have a USB port at all. The only games that use it are either online-only, store DLC there, or attach a Wii Speak, itself online-only.

Last edited by N7Kopper, Sep 12, 2019
    retrofan_k likes this.
  13. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    @Ryccardo You have all the answers right? Let's be practical how many money and time would require to add the GC ports, RGB or Component output and hypothetically speaking an online adapter? IT would be less expensive and faster to buy a first generation Wii don't you think so?

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Shape

"Your Shape", a game released by Ubisoft in 2009. It included a USB 2.0 camera, hence the need for a USB port on the Wii Mini. (And, interestingly enough, this is the only retail title I know of that actually uses IOS58.)

The USB port is also used for USB microphones in various music games.

Silent_Gunner and Ryccardo like this.
  15. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    "Free" since "everyone already owns a regular Wii" for parts :P , about 30 minutes to half a day depending on SMD working skills
    Sure, but where's the fun in that?

16. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    That's the thing not everyone know how to install mods so how much money those people have to expend to get it installed? I understand what you're talking about, i want the next year to take a course in electronics to install mods but from a gamer perspective is not worth it considering the alternative.

Last edited by Draxikor, Sep 12, 2019
  17. Xalusc

Xalusc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2013
    Brazil
    That place with soccer and drugs
    Ah yes, the good old days of Nlub Cintendo

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  18. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Some People will still do it instead of getting an used White Wii because NERDS!

Ryccardo likes this.
  19. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere bruh

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    how do wii hack this? /sarcasam

20. TheSpearGuy

TheSpearGuy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Awsome news :yaywii:
    But kinda useless since the normal Wii is cheaper and easier to find.