First Wii Mini exploit found

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States

*Norio Wakamoto voice impression* Props to you for going full ProJared with those allegations, girl! ;) *Norio Wakamoto voice impression off because his English would be like Terry's most likely* It's weird because I remember seeing his blog post a year or however long ago it was about hacking the Wii Mini, and never heard anything again about it. The fact that he was concerned about going public with this shit though makes me doubt whatever he had up his sleeves, especially when he starts throwing the accusations all over the place! I don't get why he couldn't go to one of the other contributors on the site to get his "feat" published, let alone the other sites with any traffic relating to emulation and homebrew worth a damn! And personal insults are always nice to deal with, especially when you have more notifications than I'd ever want, that's for sure!

Chary likes this.
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Probably, if you replace the video encoder chip with that from a "full" Wii's

Exactly what it's advertised to do - an inexpensive (at full retail price compared to a regular horizontal Wii) machine to play Wii discs!

CaveStoryKing64 likes this.
  3. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No, it really couldn't.

Kwyjor likes this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    It's interesting news. But I really wonder whom this is for.

The very first badge of wii's had a sort of optical drive that would allow to read backup disks. Other than that, the later bunch (including the ones in non-grey'ish colors) were roughly identical. They shipped with different firmwares, but unlike other companies, exploits were found so quickly that (in the latter days) you almost had to explicitly WANT to brick your wii to pull it off.

The wii mini was released at the very, very end of the wii life cycle. The wiiu was already announced and have backward compatibility, and with the success that the wii was, those little things were pretty quickly competing with wii owners who ditched their console in favor of a wiiu (or because they got tired of it).

Sure, the thing was cheaper than a new wii, but only one USB port, no SD card, no freaking internet and not even component output were...pretty serious disadvantages. Honestly: the only people I would ever see buying such a thing are the sort of soccer moms who have no idea about anything but buy it purely on its price and looks (which, admittedly, looks pretty slick).

I honestly can't remember a single person saying that exploits "couldn't be done". It's just that there was zero interest in it, for the reasons outlined above.
    Yes, I remember Deadlyfoez as well, gauging for interest. There was none. I had no idea about the drama behind the scenes, but even so...even if it was huge-ass frontpage news with neon letters and glitters all around, it still wouldn't have garnered any results whatsoever.

...which reminds me: the reason that I find it interesting is more in the sense that it means that normal wiis with broken SD-cards could, at least hypothetically, also be hacked with this method.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    If it gets everything the wii can do via hacking (Including Online) Then yeah it would.

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Wii Mini and a wifi dongle plus a hub, usb to sd adapter, will be more expensive than buying a Wii.

Even then the missing component video is a major issue. Unless they just disabled it in software, which I kinda doubt

How will that be preferred?

Last edited by smf, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    crea and Draxikor like this.
  7. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Kids and seniors, people in the caravan or second home don't care about those things ;)
    One port is one more than needed for the vast majority of games, nintendo only loves restricting people's right to save backups, removing wifi was a fairly obvious cost cutting target and so probably was removing most video outputs (all provided by a custom chip now with less internals)

Well, if you're thinking the "regular Wiis had all of this and more for years" way, might as well have used str2hax :D (or you know, fixed the actual problem by replacing the slot)

CaveStoryKing64 likes this.
  8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I know all that: hardly any games used 2 USB ports (if there even were any :unsure: ), the online stuff never caught on and though the quality is miles better with component, it's not like the default connectors are unplayable. But still: everyone and their dog already had a wii, and those whose device ended up broken could find a secondhand one dirt cheap (or had a reason to get a wiiu...if they HAD to go with nintendo again). Saying "kids and elderly" isn't really a convincing answer to me.

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Ordered a boxed complete Wii Mini today for the fun of it when a release does happen.

zoogie likes this.
  10. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You don't gift people used stuff you bought cheap, k? :P
    Yes, it wasn't something that most console users bought - it was more of an option for tournaments, relatives, etc to be cheapskates (for a respectable 2/3rds of the official price) while still offering a reputable-name product (with that cool new design too!)

And yes, there's an uncomfortably large amount of people who hate buying used && compare products almost only on price...

11. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Just call it WiiMiniHax clear and straight to the point

12. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I'm just curious if an external DVD reader could get the mini to be able to read disc's. Probably require a few cios then

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I'd like to have a Wii Mini to experiment on.
    But it'll end up gathering dust anyway :c

Ryccardo likes this.
  14. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Funny thing: I really didn't know there was a Wii Mini. lol

WeedZ likes this.
  15. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    What? Why would you need an external DVD reader to read discs?

16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Hmm didn't it not have a disc drive?

17. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Of course it has a disc drive :P Otherwise you'd only be able to play WiiWare games, more or less xD except it didn't have internet....

Ryccardo likes this.
  18. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    Just composite, no online no GC compatibility.... Why waste efforts to make hackeable this cheap revision?

19. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Why contribute to e-waste by not using hardware that's already out at the peak of its potential?

20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Funny enough, in some parts of the world it was actually more expensive because it was "new" and included a game. While the old white Wii was on sale. And even in places were it wasn't an used white Wii cost way less.

Draxikor likes this.