First Wii Mini exploit found

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    If its targeting Linux then maybe there's a chance any Android phone could be used to send the payload?

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  2. Boured

Boured A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.

Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    My Laptop
    Finally some love for the smol boi.

Wonder if Nintendon't would give it GC support. Pretty sure you could install MIOS and BC if needed.

3. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Wow this is so cool. I honestly like the simple design, but after reading it's basically dumbed down version, it looks like a dumb anime girl.

4. CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for making this post! I'm the owner of the discord server, and also made this reddit post. :P The server has been around since November 2017, so I've been waiting for almost 2 years for this moment to happen. When FullMetal announced that he got ACE on the Wii Mini I was excited as hell, and still am. :P Secondly, thank you to DeadlyFoez! While his contributions didn't end up leading to this particular exploit, and we already knew that the SD and Internet IOSes were removed thanks to the people at bitbuilt who soldered on these additions to the Mini, he still did something amazing: this was the first time anyone had successfully done a Hollywood transplant. This allowed him to use Wii hardware on Wii Mini software. This told us some things that they removed in software (as I said before, some people had done similar things before in bitbuilt, but these were individual Wii components soldered to the mini. DeadlyFoez went a step further, and transplanted the entire NAND chip and Hollywood package onto a standard edition Wii.) (He also put a Wii's NAND on a mini, just for fun :P)

Secondly, this is absolutely amazing, even if you don't own a mini and don't care. For one, I'm excited to see what board trims, homebrew made specifically for the mini, etc. are made as a result of this. The idea of visiting the Wii Shop Channel (even though most of its functionality has been taken away) or playing games on wiimmfi on a console never meant to go online sounds pretty fun to me. It'll also help out a lot of people who were mad that, since the SD card slot was removed, they can't get their saves off the console after getting the standard wii model. Once this exploit releases, they will be able to. Most exciting of all though is that once this releases, we will finally get an unencrypted Wii Mini NAND dump, one of the major holy grails of wii content!

If you want more info, look at the pins in the discord, or these screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Green Joy-Con D-Pad Shells for Nintendo Switch

Some people were asking questions like "can i play gamecube games, what about the fact that there's only 1 usb port, etc." I'll try my best to answer them.

GameCube games:
    You can still play GameCube games on the mini without any software modifications because MIOS/BC was never removed. The disc drive just can't read gamecube games. You can replace the disc drive with a drivechip or standard wii disc drive (although it wont fit in the case if you do this) to play gamecube games. Nintendont will be much more convenient though.

Hardware:
    Traces exist for the second USB port, GC pads 1 and 4, and GC memory. Those can all be soldered back on and will still work since they were never removed in software. There's not much of a reason to solder the second USB port back on though, as the Wii works with USB hubs. SD Card and WiFi chip traces also exist, but these wont work without softmodding the console as the SD and Internet IOSes were completely removed. (The reason the Internet IOSes were completely removed so you couldn't even use the USB LAN Adapter is because the Wii can only load one IOS at a time, and if it fails to load anything it can't skip it, so if it has the Internet IOS but no WiFi chip or LAN Adapter inserted, it'll boot to a black screen, and appear to be "bricked." Blame broadon for being stupid.)

The Wii Mini sucks! True... if you don't look at the low pricetag! It was only $100 bucks, and included a red Wiimote + Nunchuck, and Mario Kart Wii. Brand new, that Wiimote + Nunchuck + $60 game deal was worth 100 bucks on it's own, making the console essentially a free bonus! It also looks really cool, and personally, I love toploading design.

TL:DR:

This is fucking awesome, can't wait to mod my mini, and to get an unencrypted nand dump!

EDIT: This should also be compatible with all other Wii models, including vWii. People will have yet another exploit option to choose from.

Last edited by CaveStoryKing64, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:03 AM
    crea, ry755, Hozu and 5 others like this.
  5. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    well seeing as the wii is dead i doubt nintendo will even bother with a 2 gen old system even security updates for the Wii U pretty much stopped

6. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

Oct 27, 2014
    United States
    And the prices for a wii mini skyrocket on reseller sites :P

CaveStoryKing64 likes this.
  7. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Watch Nintendo get confused af at the sudden wii mini sales spike

8. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2013
    Brazil
    DSi and now Wii Mini. Awesome.

zoogie likes this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'm impressed. I'll be really upset though if they waste this perfect opportunity to call it BluestHAX. (Bluetooth stacks, a play on words)

hug0-a7x and Kwyjor like this.
  10. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    nice!

fun fact, the board for wii mini is a bit smaller than it seems. for some reason, nintendo decided they needed to add a lot of empty space and plastic to the wii mini. I guess they didn't want it to be too mini? or could be for stabilization of the disc drive. not sure.

this will be fun! always good news when we can add functionality.

Last edited by osaka35, Sep 12, 2019 at 4:44 AM
  11. doctordoom

doctordoom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2017
    United States
    They made mini Wiis? I never knew. I like my big Wii anyways. Size matters, lol

12. KonamiKitten

KonamiKitten Member

Newcomer
    Thursday
    United States
    Since it has no name yet, I think Blue Sea would be a good name for the exploit! Also, I am so surprised by someone making a Wii Mini exploit!

13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I love that the idiot you replied to tried soo hard to defend Foez and then you just destroyed him beyond space and time and he's now nowhere to be seen.

Also...yay?... Did anyone actually need a Wii mini exploit at this point? I'll never see the purpose tbh.

Chary likes this.
  14. Paolosworld

Paolosworld GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    FIRST PERSON TO BRICK THEIR WII MINI GETS A FOLLOW

15. KonamiKitten

KonamiKitten Member

Newcomer
    Thursday
    United States
    I don't have a Wii Mini...

16. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 I tinker and code.

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    interesting news all around.

17. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    it will be called "TheExploitThatAllowedModificationsOnTheOtherwiseThoughtToBeUnHackableNintendoWiiMini" or (TETAMOTOTTBUHNWM) for short :rofl2::rofl2:

18. KonamiKitten

KonamiKitten Member

Newcomer
    Thursday
    United States
    I think Blue Sea (my idea) is easier to say, but your idea is weird, but interesting.

19. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    I would go out right now and panic buy, if only the Wii Mini could output something better than 480i.

Last edited by MrCokeacola, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    CaveStoryKing64 likes this.
  20. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    So then Bluetooth and Linux... mmhh ok... Android someone?

Would like to see the source code.