First Wii Mini exploit found

RattletraPM Sep 11, 2019.

1. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    Holy shit, this is awesome. I know this may sound dumb, but would this exploit also work on RVL-001 or -101?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There's a good chance the drive rejects GC discs in hardware - but no reason you couldn't run Nintendont on it (once a way to install custom channels is found, which is required to plant a title with AHBPROT enabled)

To be fair, this was an out of the blue revelation (and as of today it's still vaporware, mind you), for a system where even the ultimate exploit ("if it accepts updates, you can bruteforce the key and sign one") wasn't even necessarily possible since nobody knows (afaik) if it's even user updateable via disc :D

(then again, not many people begging for an exploit knew that just soldering in the SD slot wouldn't work, or even that the unmodified Wii doesn't support usb drives outside of IOS59, soooo....)

Most likely yes (the Wii Mini software is obviously derived from the regular Wii's, in particular bluetooth support is mostly compiled into every app rather than left to IOS) but some tweaks may be needed, 3DS userland payloads / 3DS soundhax / DSi memory pit style

Last edited by Ryccardo, Sep 12, 2019
  3. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    i mean its interesting but who has a wii mini? you can buy the original one with the GC retrocompatibility for 20$

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Shhhh
    Or the haxburgler will come along and swipe our Wii Minis.
    Maybe soccer moms who don't know the difference between a good and bad Wii?
    Who knows, but the fact is: millions of these things are in the wild and they should be hacked for the greater good.

5. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Plenty of them around, for a while they were THE tournament prize/mainstream "cheap but expensive" novelty gift like the nes classic more acclaimedly became :)

zoogie likes this.
  6. cyn

cyn Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2019
    United States
    i wouldn't really know, last time i cared about the wii mini is when club nintendo was shutting down and i used a program to generate wii mini serials to register for coins
    (if this violates the rules to post about i can snip that last bit, someone just has to let me know)

7. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Ryccardo
    WAD Managers exist, like Wii Mod Lite. And yes, they support installing from USB.

8. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    But since there's no CIOS or other trucha-enabled one out of the factory (hopefully!), you can't install an unsigned channel without using AHBPROT... which in turn requires being run from a channel with the appropriate permission enabled, so either the hackmii installer works as-is, the Twiizers release their exploit (yeah sure), or it'll have to be independently cloned...

9. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Really hope a windows solution is also made. Though Wii minis are more costly than the og Wii so I can't see the Wii mini gaining any popularity anyway.

10. FancyNintendoGamer567

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Ryccardo If the HackMii Installer is small enough, I'd bet it can work with BlueHax.

11. Worldblender

Worldblender Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    United States
    I'd like to have one of those 50 Wii Mini units if you're willing to sell or give some away.

Couldn't we use USB hubs in order to add more USB ports? Or does the Wii lack drivers to support USB hubs in the first place?

Last edited by Worldblender, Sep 12, 2019
    banjo2 likes this.
  12. FancyNintendoGamer567

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
  13. Darklinkreturns

Darklinkreturns GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    United States
    I don't actually have any, I was making a joke about the wii mini club nintendo exploit

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    So am I correct assuming it will install homebrew channel and still be able to load homebrew via the USB? I'm really hoping it won't require you to use the bluetooth exploit every time you want to use homebrew. And I don't even own the system (though I might buy one for cheap now lol)

15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    While this is nice for the people who still have this brick, lack of SD card slot and Internet really limits things you can do with this ugly console.

One wonders what the heck Nintendo was thinking since lack of Internet means you couldn't use Wiiware on this stupid brick.

Only worse was the GBA mini.

MrCokeacola likes this.
  16. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Shit, I might buy a Wii mini for fun. I always thought the Wii mini looked really cool.

17. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    The other major drawback to the Wii Mini is that component cables won't work with it – it's composite-only. (Then again, it seems some people actually prefer the fuzziness that composite provides to the Wii's lower-resolution graphics.)

For something like this you can probably run Linux from a virtual machine like VMware or VirtualBox without having to make major changes to your Windows PC – though even without having to make such major changes, Linux can definitely still be difficult.

18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I didn't know about other OS emulation. I only though that was some console homebrew thing like on ps3 back in 2008 :P

Still I never used linux so I don't know much about it except i guess... a penguin is the mascot? :unsure:

19. Worldblender

Worldblender Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    United States
    Yes, you're correct. A penguin is the mascot of the Linux kernel, and he is named Tux (He even appears in my avatar! The graphic is from http://supertuxproject.org/ (SuperTux), a FOSS 2D jump 'n run sidescroller featuring that mascot).

20. BraveDragonWolf

BraveDragonWolf Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2015
    United States
    Forgot this thing even existed...