Hacking First rom with new protection?

Dewdrops

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I upgraded my 6.x console to 7.x since the game needs it. No regrets.
I am actually thankful now to have a console which cannot run GW since I can play Tomodachi Life this way.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I upgraded my 6.x console to 7.x since the game needs it. No regrets.
I am actually thankful now to have a console which cannot run GW since I can play Tomodachi Life this way.

What would you have to regret by updating from 6.x to 7.x?
You would very much regret updating a 4.x version, I'm sure.

Dewdrops

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
What would you have to regret by updating from 6.x to 7.x?
You would very much regret updating a 4.x version, I'm sure.
Yea, I would really be sad to upgrade a 4.x to 7.x.
By updating from 6.x I would lose any chance for the console to be used as a homebrew device in the future, but I don't have anything to worry about since I have 4.x console too.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im betting that eventually all firmwares will be hackable and we wont have to worry about this crap. However I also know it may not happen and that if it does we are talking near the end life of the console.

Loke Dewdrops i have a 4.x and a current and am glad that i do. It makes things easier. I know its not possible for everyone. I also think its stupid to have two or more consoles on a hackable or potentially hackable hardware when all you really need is one. Yes i know bricking or maybe your other console dies and would like to have a backup. I just take it as it is.

If one or the other breaks ill find a way to get a new one.(getting kind of hard to find 4.5 firms anymore though...... maybe ill have to buy another one just in case.....

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Notice the "new flashcard" , I already have a 3dslink , what i'm saying is that right now I ahve no reason to change flashcard even if gw had multirom and shet because of this new protection , which if gateway fails to break , might warrant needing to buy a 3rd flashcard for me ( if one does even appear which can break this tho..)

As a Gateway user and supporter... you're welcome for my extra money going towards your clone's existence <3

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just love how people over-react. GW has been as close to straight shooting as a flash cart company can be. They have never over promised, and have consistently delivered on what they said they could do....starting with the flashcart, version spoof, region free, emunand, classic mode, region free classic, Nand saving, multi-rom, rom dumping, eShop, homebrew support and now the ability to run online.

They will figure it out....also people act like when they do figure it out, Nintendo will just change keys...This process is not just a quick thing to do.....new dev kits go out and the new keys need to be incorporated into development. Carts have a lead time so just like firmware updates they will be behind. 6.0 with new krypto key came out June 2013 and yet we just saw recent game released in May 2014 still using 6.0 krypto key. 7.0 with new krypto key came out in Dec 2013....likely most games that come out thru the end of 2014 will use 7.x keys. So see if GW cracks this nut in the next month or so then we will likely have about a 6 month window of releases that use the 7.x keys.

Last point....I really would just like to smack anyone who is like 'Yeah I am happy I don't have a GW because until they prove to me they can crack 7.x they are not worthy of my support.' Honestly just STFU........The product is already great, already plays over 1000 scene releases from all regions as well as lets you do your own dumps and play with them. Considering 3DS is already 3 years old and has an incredible library to chose from, even if GW hung it up tomorrow, they still gave us a great product and it is soooooo worth the $80ish I spent on it..

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-A lot of good shit-

But what about Pokemanz?! I don't care how many games Gateway can play if it can't play the Hoenn remakes! The company is just a bunch of buttheads who took our money and ran when the going got tough.
[/facetious]

But seriously, we need to have faith in the innovators. The only difference between the possible and the impossible is a Youtube video showing off the upcoming Gateway features. :P

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just love how people over-react. GW has been as close to straight shooting as a flash cart company can be. They have never over promised, and have consistently delivered on what they said they could do....starting with the flashcart, version spoof, region free, emunand, classic mode, region free classic, Nand saving, multi-rom, rom dumping, eShop, homebrew support and now the ability to run online.

That's not true. They promised the ability to run on real firmware greater than 4.5 and we don't have that.

Furthermore, firmware >4.5 and 7.0 encryption keys share one thing in common: they may be impossible for technical reasons. *None* of the things that Gateway promised and delivered were considered impossible for technical reasons. Mostly, people just doubted Gateway would deliver because they were taking too long.

Also, remember they inserted bricking code and lied about it. They're quite capable of lying when it suits their purposes.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
That's not true. They promised the ability to run on real firmware greater than 4.5 and we don't have that.

Quote the aforementioned promise.

All they said was:
- Are you working on supporting 5.x and 6.x 3DS systems?
Yes, we have still not given up hope to support these consoles. But please be patient.
- http://www.gateway-3ds.com/f-a-q/
(not a solid promise)

Porting our patches from 4.5 to 6.3 is time-consuming and tedious so please bare with us for a little while longer, testing and safety is paramount for such a release.
- http://www.gateway-3ds.com/gateway-3ds-2-0-sneak-peak-2-of-2/
(definitely misleading, but they never once mentioned they succeeded)

Furthermore, firmware >4.5 and 7.0 encryption keys share one thing in common: they may be impossible for technical reasons. *None* of the things that Gateway promised and delivered were considered impossible for technical reasons. Mostly, people just doubted Gateway would deliver because they were taking too long.

I got to agree that they never upfront mentioned that the measures they're taking might fail.
But at the same time, we have no idea what the measures they are taking are at the first place.

Just remember: Schrödinger's Cat.

At this point, GW is failing and not failing at the same time.

Let's not assume and just wait.

Also, remember they inserted bricking code and lied about it. They're quite capable of lying when it suits their purposes.

The one true statement for them not being straight-shooters. :)

Still, I use their product cause they delivered, period.

alepman89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably i'll get the game next week or so,did any one try there own dumb using GW,does it have the same issue?

thaminder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
first -> sorry for my bad english -> i`ll try my best :P

i have one question regarding the new encryption and gateway...

nintendo is now using a new encryption in 7.2 -> with this encryption they encrypted the games, apps, etc.
now nintendo released 7.2 and every normal user updated to 7.2 and can just use the new encrypted games, apps, etc.

so all gateway users can install a emunand and update to 7.2 and CANT use this games...

so my question:
why isnt that working? i think the only 2 thins who uses the encryption are the operating system and the encrypted game/app.
now if i start a game the game will be verified by operating system if its ok and the operating system will tell true, because a emunand os is the same as the system nand isnt it?!?

so the game will be startet - but then it hangs - and gets stuck at the nintendo 3ds logo...

everybody is talking about the new encryption and gateway cant do anything... but is it really the encryption?!? i think the encryption doesnt matters (otherwise it wont start?!?) and its a little other problem or am i wrong?!?

im very interessted in this material and hopefully i will get the answers from you ;)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Keys are initialized at boot, meaning 7.x emumand still uses 4.x keys and that can hardly be changed. Without the new keys newer titles won't start.

thaminder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hm thats an argument - but when 4.x boots - it generates keys...
then the "virtualized 7.x" boots and shouldnt it also generate keys?
when not - i think this wont get very simple for gateway team...

masterzero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hm thats an argument - but when 4.x boots - it generates keys...
then the "virtualized 7.x" boots and shouldnt it also generate keys?
when not - i think this wont get very simple for gateway team...

Booting is the process when the console starts. you're not starting the console when entering emunand

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona Q doesn't seem to work either. Tried a rip from mine (own rom) and also tried someone elses, they both crash the game at the title screenish area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok