First-party Xbox Scorpio games will run at native 4K resolution

Xbox_2012_logo.png

Microsoft Studio's publishing general manager, Shannon Loftis, has made an announcement that all Microsoft-developed games for the upcoming codename Xbox Scorpio will run at a native 4K resolution.

"Any games we're [Microsoft] making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K."

This news comes off the tailwind of the PS4 Pro reveal, where Sony's upcoming "4K Ready" console is set to release this November, and be able to play games in upscaled 4K resolution, though a small few games will indeed run at native 4K. The following quote comes from SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) president, Andrew House.

"I would say the majority [of PS4 Pro games] will be upscaled. Based on the game portfolio I have seen to date."

The Xbox Project Scorpio is slated to release sometime during the Holiday season of 2017.

:arrow: Source: Full Interview

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People pretending here like if Nintendo hasn't started these mid-gen upgrades.

Honestly I don't care for 4K. I don't care about resolution at all as long as the game's frame rate doesn't drop below 30.
I wished both Sony and Microsoft would rather use this power to give us 60FPS gaming on consoles. I know Rise of the tomb raider will have 3 different options to choose from on the PS4Pro, increased res @30, 1080p60 and 1080p30 + extra details.
That's the best approach to the mid gen upgrades I've seen so far. If more developers would share freely what benefits these upgrades bring I might consider getting one but most games that I care about on PS4 already run at 1080p60.
I really hope Nintendo won't screw up the NX although in their true fashion they probably will.

1080/60 is just a target, not locked :(. Devs already said it won't hit it all the time, but will only say >45. So pointless.

If I had to guess based on the pc version. It'll be 60fps in the smaller areas and <60 in Soviet base and Geothermal Valley, those are huge parts of the game, so will probably spend most of the time <60.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1080/60 is just a target, not locked :(. Devs already said it won't hit it all the time, but will only say >45. So pointless.

If I had to guess based on the pc version. It'll be 60fps in the smaller areas and <60 in Soviet base and Geothermal Valley, those are huge parts of the game, so will probably spend most of the time <60.
I think >45 is still more desireable than 4K30 or more likely less than 30.
I really don't get why so many devs neglect 60 FPS gaming on console and at the same time complain that games with such high fidelity are just too expensive. Sounds like a self inflicted wound.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Wait isn't complexity of stages not a factor on fps when not looking at them?

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think >45 is still more desireable than 4K30 or more likely less than 30.
>30 and <60 means stutter.
60 fps should be prioritized but more generally bad stuff happens when the developers don't get to decide, especially when it comes to stuff like graphic engines.
Sony is taking the right approach here, where the developer makes all decisions. It will be up to reviewers to communicate the PS4 Pro difference on a per-game basis.
Sony says "will not be noticeable in most situations." They're Sony marketing, they have to say that. Xbox is releasing later so of course it will be more powerful.
It has been one big messaging war ever since E3, it's not over yet, and it might not ever be over, we'll have to see.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>30 and <60 means stutter.
60 fps should be prioritized but more generally bad stuff happens when the developers don't get to decide, especially when it comes to stuff like graphic engines.
Sony is taking the right approach here, where the developer makes all decisions. It will be up to reviewers to communicate the PS4 Pro difference on a per-game basis.
Sony says "will not be noticeable in most situations." They're Sony marketing, they have to say that. Xbox is releasing later so of course it will be more powerful.
It has been one big messaging war ever since E3, it's not over yet, and it might not ever be over, we'll have to see.
Well there is the Freesync, but most tv don't have that feature.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Well there is the Freesync, but most tv don't have that feature.

Afaik, consoles aren't capable of Freesync. Freesync is an AMD technology available only on discrete AMD desktop GPUs. Nvidia's equivalent is G-Sync. Monitors need to have hardware-level support for Freesync or Gsync, so existing monitors and TVs won't do.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Afaik, consoles aren't capable of Freesync. Freesync is an AMD technology available only on discrete AMD desktop GPUs. Nvidia's equivalent is G-Sync. Monitors need to have hardware-level support for Freesync or Gsync, so existing monitors and TVs won't do.
Did Sony specifically state that Free-sync is not available? But yes all the tv will need replacement.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Did Sony specifically state that Free-sync is not available? But yes all the tv will need replacement.

Not that I know, but doesn't Freesync require new graphics hardware to run? Perhaps the PS4 Pro will have it, but the normal PS4's hardware seems a bit dated to support Freesync. Also, there's not really any TVs that support Freesync. Monitors, yes, but not TVs, so they don't really need Freesync. Feel free to prove me wrong tho!

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not that I know, but doesn't Freesync require new graphics hardware to run? Perhaps the PS4 Pro will have it, but the normal PS4's hardware seems a bit dated to support Freesync. Also, there's not really any TVs that support Freesync. Monitors, yes, but not TVs, so they don't really need Freesync. Feel free to prove me wrong tho!
It's coming. By the time of Scorpio this will be less of a problem.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait isn't complexity of stages not a factor on fps when not looking at them?

Geothermal valley and Soviet base are massive open areas. Unless they completely murder the draw distance or lod, there is always a lot of stuff being rendered in those areas.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geothermal valley and Soviet base are massive open areas. Unless they completely murder the draw distance or lod, there is always a lot of stuff being rendered in those areas.
So it's not a place with lots of guards with complex AI? Cause it is weird that advanced ai uses much of cpu, or collision.

Last edited by Yil,

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously though text are broken initially on 2k+ screen with win 10.
My 2.5k ultrawide monitor is completely fine with text. Maybe the clear type technology isn't working properly on your PC.

The biggest problem with 4k is its sub par refresh rate. An 80" 4K TV isn't really designed for high action gaming but a 40" 4K TV might not see the same problems.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pixel density doesn't make text harder to read.
It is the other way around actually, way easier on the eyes.
Small fonts make text harder to read. But if you have bigger pixel density you don't use the same amount of pixels unless you're a fucking cunt.

Hell, I'm writing this from my S7. Do you know what pixel density does this thing have? Do you think the text is hard on the eyes on this thing? Do you think that game developers will get it wrong when the asses behind android got it right? Nonsense.

Also, 4k TVs are cheap as fuck and look great (with 4k movies at least). You sure can get a great looking 55" 4K TV for under 1000.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.